Po463 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Po463

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHut

Unread 10-04-2013, 11:33 PM   #1
TSEJEEPERS
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Po463

Fuel level sensor circuit high input.
Wife just got home from a road trip.
She said she started the Commander up and the fuel gauge read empty even though it had a full tank and had a check engine light.
Shut it off and started it again and then the fuel gauge read full but it still had a check engine light.
She was driving home and again the fuel gauge read empty and the warning light came on for low fuel.
Stopped and put in 3 or 4 gallons of fuel.
Gauge again read full.
I ran a code on it when she got home.
PO463.
Jeep runs fine.
From what I can find on searches it could be a grounding issue.
Anyone know where the fuel level sensor gets its ground?
Other than that it could be the sensor itself, which I issume is in the tank.
Anyone have this problem and did they fix it?
06 Jeep Commander, 4.7L engine. All stock.

Unread 10-06-2013, 06:45 PM   #2
Drudgery1971

2007 WK 

Here is a link from 2006 if it helps.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/co...3-what-901522/

Had a similar issue as my gas guage was not reading accurately.

Dealer replaced part number 51613335ad under warranty.

Problem seems to be resolved.
Unread 10-07-2013, 07:53 AM   #3
TSEJEEPERS
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks
Is that part number the fuel pump module?
Unread 10-07-2013, 01:54 PM   #4
Drudgery1971

2007 WK 

It looks to me like that part number FROM 06 has a typo but if you look at this page it has reference to similar part #S.

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=1830696

I also read that like you mention could also be corrosion at battery or gnd connection at sensor as well. I would try re-booting (disconnecting at battery and cleaning that first) sorry can;t be more help.
Unread 10-07-2013, 03:36 PM   #5
TSEJEEPERS
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drudgery1971 View Post
It looks to me like that part number FROM 06 has a typo but if you look at this page it has reference to similar part #S.

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=1830696

I also read that like you mention could also be corrosion at battery or gnd connection at sensor as well. I would try re-booting (disconnecting at battery and cleaning that first) sorry can;t be more help.
Ya I tried disconnection the battery and cleaning the posts. I also cleared the code.
There are also some grounds right next to the battery. I cleaned those also and made sure there was metal to metal contact.
It happen again not long after cleaned them up.
I am going to drop the tank and replace the fuel pump and module.
The Commander has 140,000 miles on it. Who knows how much longer the fuel pump will run anyway.
It will be a couple of weeks before I do but I will post up what I found.
Thanks for your help!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.