Please help! Strong plastic/chemical smell - caused by exhaust problem? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Please help! Strong plastic/chemical smell - caused by exhaust problem?

Labor Day Sale!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 01-29-2014, 03:26 PM   #1
egrande25

Please help! Strong plastic/chemical smell - caused by exhaust problem?

Hi all,

I have an '08 Grand Cherokee Laredo, 3.7L V6 with 74,000 miles on it. Recently the exhaust/muffler have been getting loud, and during my state inspection the guy said it would probably need a new muffler/pipe in the next few months. That was about a month ago. Since then there has been an on-and-off horrible plastic/chemical smell in the cabin some of the time. My wife drives it about an hour to work each way, and she says sometimes it gets so bad she has to open the windows (in 20 degree temps....) or she gets a headache. I checked all underneath but saw no plastic bags or anything else odd. Nothing unusual under the hood. No visible smoke. I have an appointment in two days to have the exhaust fixed. My question is - is there any way this weird smell could be exhaust related? I am hoping so, because otherwise it's a total mystery. It's definitely not an "exhaust" smell as I know it.

Thank you!!!

egrande25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2014, 03:32 PM   #2
Jaashua
2005 WK 

It's probably the coolant smell.
Jaashua is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2014, 03:48 PM   #3
egrande25

As in leaking coolant?
Unread 01-29-2014, 04:16 PM   #4
yzjwk
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by egrande25 View Post
Hi all,

I have an '08 Grand Cherokee Laredo, 3.7L V6 with 74,000 miles on it. Recently the exhaust/muffler have been getting loud, and during my state inspection the guy said it would probably need a new muffler/pipe in the next few months. That was about a month ago. Since then there has been an on-and-off horrible plastic/chemical smell in the cabin some of the time. My wife drives it about an hour to work each way, and she says sometimes it gets so bad she has to open the windows (in 20 degree temps....) or she gets a headache. I checked all underneath but saw no plastic bags or anything else odd. Nothing unusual under the hood. No visible smoke. I have an appointment in two days to have the exhaust fixed. My question is - is there any way this weird smell could be exhaust related? I am hoping so, because otherwise it's a total mystery. It's definitely not an "exhaust" smell as I know it.

Thank you!!!
The transmission cooler lines have been known to leak atf . If it drips into the splash pan it can slowly build up or mix with water to where the wind moves it out the back of the pan and on to the hot exhaust/cats . That's got a pretty nast smell as you describe and it's close enough to be sucked into the fresh air intake .
00 WJ 4.0
yzjwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2014, 04:48 PM   #5
tom19511
2006 WK 

The smell could be what yzjwk or Joshua says. Also it could be pre converter gasses.
tom19511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2014, 05:20 PM   #6
jjt250
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by yzjwk View Post
The transmission cooler lines have been known to leak atf . If it drips into the splash pan it can slowly build up or mix with water to where the wind moves it out the back of the pan and on to the hot exhaust/cats . That's got a pretty nast smell as you describe and it's close enough to be sucked into the fresh air intake .
Isn't that problem with the 545RFE transmission?
Unread 01-29-2014, 06:12 PM   #7
egrande25

I put my wife through this because she deserves it.

No, you ***, it has not been terribly bad until this week, and I made an appointment right away.

And, TBH, it's "I wouldn't have" not "I wouldn't of".

Other folks, thanks for the actual info. I'll ask the mechanic to look for coolant issues.
Unread 01-29-2014, 07:09 PM   #8
yzjwk
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjt250 View Post
Isn't that problem with the 545RFE transmission?
I may be wrong , but i thought even the nag1 had transmission cooler lines going to the radiator .
00 WJ 4.0
yzjwk is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.