please help with my remote start - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > please help with my remote start

Attention to the TJ owners 1996-2006 NEW LED LIGHT OPTIONSOPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 03-20-2013, 07:54 PM   #46
JeepinJeremy
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
livingrock21;15166927]Jeremy, I tried to relearn the tach... and the led wouldnt even light up on the avital... I noticed a couple wires on the expresskit that arent connected, could that be the tach wire??
The tach wire is in the 5 wire harness right next to your thumb in this picture. Purple/White

Quote:
I remote started it again with the key in the on position, and it started and stayed running... It was cold when I was outside.. I'll take some more pics tomorrow...
This tells me you have lost programming on your XK module or the RF ring around the key cylinder has failed.

JeepinJeremy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2013, 08:07 PM   #47
JeepinJeremy
1992 YJ Wrangler 

If you can figure out what XK module you have I can email you the wiring diagram. Kinda hard to see which one it is. Possibly xk531 not sure though. Current version is xk9.0
Unread 03-20-2013, 09:10 PM   #48
livingrock21
2005 WK 

I believe the xk module is the xk532
livingrock21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2013, 10:01 PM   #49
JeepinJeremy
1992 YJ Wrangler 

PM me your email and I will send you an install manuel on the xk532 its 8 pages and to large to post here.
Unread 03-21-2013, 01:03 AM   #50
p2555016zr
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by livingrock21 View Post
By the brains you mean the Avital4113??
correct
p2555016zr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2013, 06:02 PM   #51
PeterF
2006 WK 

Unplug the rf ring from the xpresskit, then try to remote start it. If it does the same thing (starts then shuts down) then you can probably assume the rf ring is not working correctly. I personally believe the tach wire is hooked up and tach working correctly considering its been working in the past for so long.
PeterF is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2013, 07:14 PM   #52
livingrock21
2005 WK 

Thats the bad thing, I truely cant remember when it quit working.... I never really used it.. but realized it wasnt working this past winter when it was cold, and I wanted to get in my jeep after it was nice and toasty with some heated seats... I know it hasnt worked all winter.. BUT I know when I bought it last spring it worked, but I never really used it..

Its been so cold and windy here lately, I havent wanted to even try really digging in, and really working on it.... I've done all the quick and easy stuff I could.. The only thing I'm worried about taking the rf ring off, and wrapping it a couple more times is how its actually hooked up.. I havent taken it apart yet, because I'm not exactly sure how it goes back together and probably wont until I take it appart... theres two wires there, which leads you to believe its a positive and negative, but only looks like one wire wrapped around.. So I'm guessing the end of the positive and the end of the negative are connected together...
Unread 03-21-2013, 07:31 PM   #53
JeepinJeremy
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Don't mess with the RF ring at all it is attached correctly. Did you look at the email I sent you it shows how each wire is hooked up and how to reprogram your xk module. Those module can and will loose rf programing. If your battery has ever died or been replaced then most likely the module has lost programing. The xk532 manuel I sent you gives you step by step instruction how to relearn it.
Unread 03-22-2013, 05:25 AM   #54
livingrock21
2005 WK 

Yeah I started looking at it Jeremy... I noticed you have to reprogram it just like a new key... The big problem there is I only have one key that the jeep came with... So if that is the problem, looks like I'm going to have to make a trip to the STEALER, I mean Dealer (lol)... As far as I know the only way to get a key programmed when you only have one key is for them to do it right??
Unread 03-22-2013, 05:33 AM   #55
livingrock21
2005 WK 

I was really hoping it wouldnt be that... I mean I really need to get anotber key anyway, but.... It just sucks that I have to... Is it cheaper to buy a key online, and then take it to them to program?? If it is does anyone know the cheapest place/s online to get one??

So d@mn frustrated at this point.... Jeremy, you really dont think it could be the RF wire around the black plastic peice on the ignition?? You really dont think thats even a possibility and worth giving a shot?? Its supposed to be warmer today was hoping to get a chance to work on it today...

As frustrated as I am.... I'm so grateful/thankful for all your guys help/ideas.... I'd wouldnt be too much further then squareone right now without you guys... Thanks again...
Unread 03-22-2013, 03:47 PM   #56
PeterF
2006 WK 

Personally I would just unplug the rf ring from the xpresskit and try to start it. If it does the same thing it's been doing (shutting down) then I think the rf ring is bad as it has no effect on the system. You can always plug it back into the xpresskit and be back where you started, no harm done
Unread 03-22-2013, 03:52 PM   #57
PeterF
2006 WK 

I used to have a remote starter where the tach wasn't programmed correctly (because I didn't hook up the tach wire) and the starter just cranked but not long enough for the car to start. I always thought the tach just told the remote starter that the car was started or not. Since your car is starting then I don't see that as the problem, but maybe I'm wrong. I think the rf ring or rf programming are not working correctly
Unread 03-23-2013, 10:38 AM   #58
livingrock21
2005 WK 

Its actually decent outside today.... I'm going to go out and try everyones suggestions....

Thanks again everyone, and if anyone else has any ideas I'm definitely listening...
Unread 03-26-2013, 03:01 PM   #59
livingrock21
2005 WK 

I started trying all the advice that everyone has given me on here... No luck so far.... BUT... I may have found a problem...

When I was trying stuff and had everything pulled apart... I noticed a bare wire that was coming of the plug that plugs into the ignjtion switch, and I'm pretty positive some of those wires go to the express module and the avital module... They also look like they could be close enough to be shorting out... I cant tell if any of the other wires are bare, but if they are, their damn sure shorting out... I'll take some pictures before I try to unplug and fix it...

Guess my question now is, and hopefully I can get a quick response from one of you guys... How does that unplug from the ignition swith... It looks as though there is some kind of red clip that keeps it locked in place... Its a little warmer out now, thats why I've been trying to get a lot of this stuff done that you all have been suggesting.... I'd like to find out how to unplug that the right way though, so I dont break that clip or do more damage then whats already there.... It looks like when the installer was installing everything he sliced the wire probably on accident, but didnt tape it up... and its a pretty nice slice...

Thanks again for all the help thus far you all, I'm hoping for a quick reply... Also, does anyone else think this could be the root of my problems...
Unread 03-27-2013, 02:35 PM   #60
livingrock21
2005 WK 

I truely thought I had found the problem and got it licked.... As I started trying all the suggestions on here I seen one of the wires coming off the ignition switch was bare.. so I took care of that... that didnt work... well then I found another exposed wire that had one of the avital wires tied into it... its a. White wire with a blue stripe, and the wire tied into it was completely solid white... so I soldered everything how it should have been in the first place and while I was doing that I fixed the exposed part of the wire.... this thing is driving me nuts...

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.