please help with my remote start - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > please help with my remote start

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHut

Unread 03-18-2013, 09:03 PM   #31
livingrock21
2005 WK 

Ok... If I end up having to wrap the ignition a couple more times... Am I right about that just being the positive and negative spliced together at the ends?

livingrock21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-18-2013, 09:32 PM   #32
PeterF
2006 WK 

Considering it was once working, I'm sure it is hooked up correctly. Just wrap whatever is wrapped a few more times
PeterF is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-18-2013, 10:06 PM   #33
livingrock21
2005 WK 

There doesnt really look to be any extra to loop... Thats the only reason I was asking...
Unread 03-18-2013, 10:27 PM   #34
PeterF
2006 WK 

If you try wrapping it again, I just meant for you to splice it back together the way it was, don't change anythinh
PeterF is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-18-2013, 10:34 PM   #35
livingrock21
2005 WK 

Alright.... its getting late, I'll try it tomorrow and keep you posted.. Thanks again!
Unread 03-18-2013, 10:41 PM   #36
p2555016zr
1994 YJ Wrangler 

If it starts then the alarm bypass is working otherwise it would only crank if even that. Most remote starts look for the ignition signal next. Is there a wire going to your ignition module that got disconnected? If not, it is possible that the remote brain is bad. Worst case is buy that same brand remote start off Amazon and switch out the brains.
p2555016zr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-18-2013, 10:48 PM   #37
JeepinJeremy
1992 YJ Wrangler 

well it maybe to late at this point but you should have tried to relearn tach signal to the remote start.
JeepinJeremy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-18-2013, 10:54 PM   #38
JeepinJeremy
1992 YJ Wrangler 

If you are looking for a definite answer on weather your express kit is good or bad there is a simple test you can do.
1. Remove the RF ring from around the key cylinder or unplug it from the brain and move it away from the express kit.
2. put your factory WORKING key into the ignition. Do not do anything other than put it into the ignition.
3. Try to remote start it. If it starts and dies right away you either need to relearn tach signal if the wire is hooked up or use a DEI BITWRITER to bypass the tach learn on the brain. If the jeep starts and stays running your express kit has lost programing of the RF signal or it took a dump.
Let me know what happens.
The tach wire is a purple/white small gauge wire coming of the avital brain follow is and see if its hooked to anything.
Unread 03-19-2013, 01:18 AM   #39
livingrock21
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by p2555016zr View Post
If it starts then the alarm bypass is working otherwise it would only crank if even that. Most remote starts look for the ignition signal next. Is there a wire going to your ignition module that got disconnected? If not, it is possible that the remote brain is bad. Worst case is buy that same brand remote start off Amazon and switch out the brains.
By the brains you mean the Avital4113??
Unread 03-19-2013, 01:32 AM   #40
livingrock21
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepinJeremy View Post
If you are looking for a definite answer on weather your express kit is good or bad there is a simple test you can do.
1. Remove the RF ring from around the key cylinder or unplug it from the brain and move it away from the express kit.
2. put your factory WORKING key into the ignition. Do not do anything other than put it into the ignition.
3. Try to remote start it. If it starts and dies right away you either need to relearn tach signal if the wire is hooked up or use a DEI BITWRITER to bypass the tach learn on the brain. If the jeep starts and stays running your express kit has lost programing of the RF signal or it took a dump.
Let me know what happens.
The tach wire is a purple/white small gauge wire coming of the avital brain follow is and see if its hooked to anything.
If the tach wire is hooked up, is the DEI bitwritter the only way for it to relearn the tach signal, or is there another way to program it?? What if the tachwire was never connected? I'll be looking at it and keep everyone posted...
Unread 03-19-2013, 09:36 AM   #41
JeepinJeremy
1992 YJ Wrangler 

The bitwriter is used to program options on the brain and gives you the ability to bypass tach signal if a lazy installer never hooked it up which maybe your case as the avitall with forget programing if the battery is unhooked or if a new remote is programed. Yes there is a way to relearn tach. Real easy. Once your ready do this.
1. Find the valet button to the avital brain. It is hooked up as i seen it on your brain 2wires black and gray that leads to a black button.
2. Make the avital brain accesable as you will need to watch the red led on the brain itself.
3. With finger on the black button and watching the red led, Start the jeep as normal with the key.
4. Push and hold the black valet button while watching the led and jeep running.
5. The light will come on and stay on for a few seconds then go back out.
6. Your tach has been re learned.
Again this only will work if the tach wire is hooked up. If not your S.O.L unless you wire it in or use a Bitwriter.
Good Luck
Unread 03-20-2013, 09:27 AM   #42
livingrock21
2005 WK 

Jeremy, I still havent had a chance to go out and check everything out... if the tach wire isnt connected, what do I have to do to try and get it hooked up??
Unread 03-20-2013, 08:27 PM   #43
JeepinJeremy
1992 YJ Wrangler 

you will have to run a wire I will post you a location in a few minutes.
Unread 03-20-2013, 08:35 PM   #44
JeepinJeremy
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Tach wire location is any ignition coil or fuel injector. DO NOT USE the red/tan wire or dk. grn/lt. grn wire. So basically use what ever is left. AC current.

If by chance you did wipe the XK bypass module memory. Find a local stereo shop that sells and installs DEI products and have them reload the module. All they have to do is hook it up to a usb and download the software to it. They can also do a key relearn on it if needed. A good shop won't charge you to do this as it takes about 30sec to do so if you just hand them the module unplugged from the jeep. Good luck
Unread 03-20-2013, 08:38 PM   #45
livingrock21
2005 WK 

Jeremy, I tried to relearn the tach... and the led wouldnt even light up on the avital... I noticed a couple wires on the expresskit that arent connected, could that be the tach wire??

I remote started it again with the key in the on position, and it started and stayed running... It was cold when I was outside.. I'll take some more pics tomorrow...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.