please help with my remote start - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > please help with my remote start

Savvy Aluminum Gas Tank SkidFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control Arms

Unread 03-14-2013, 07:56 PM   #16
livingrock21
2005 WK 

Alright..... THANKS AGAIN for the help thus far!!! Hopefully it'll remedy the problem! If not I'll keep you posted.... Actually I'll keep you posted irreguardless...! Thanks again man, you've been such a big help... I cant thank you enough, especially if it works... Any other, and all info is greatly appreciated...

I'll be trying that you said when I get home peter... I would already be home trying it, but tonight was league night (bowling)...

-Tyler

livingrock21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2013, 01:33 AM   #17
livingrock21
2005 WK 

I tried the steps you gave me peter, but I never got the led to light up.. BUT I think I have an idea why.. the 20 pin connector is connected, and theres a 2 pin connection with wires attatched, but theres nothing connected to the 4 pin slot... which is below the button I'm supposed to hold down while I reconnect the 4 pin connection... I mean theres a ton of connections on the avital module, but thats not what you were talking about... I took some pictures to show you what I'm talking about, maybe it'll give some insight... I looked everywhere for a four pin connection (thinking maybe it got disconnected), but couldnt find anything. I also tried doing the things you said to do with the two pin connection, but I couldnt get the led to light up doing that either... I'm wondering if I'm going to have to run a new power connection to the expresskit, I dont understand where it could have went?? Err... anyway, heres the pictures I took..

forumrunner_20130315_033250.jpg

forumrunner_20130315_033159.jpg

forumrunner_20130315_033216.jpg

forumrunner_20130315_033232.jpg

I guess I didnt get a good picture of the 20 pin connection, but its there on the top side of the picture above.. I 2as more focused on taking pictures of the four pin power connection...
Unread 03-15-2013, 01:39 AM   #18
livingrock21
2005 WK 

The pictures above are the expresskit... I figured I'd post some pictures of the avital module... I'm hoping these pictures will help... Maybe I'm doing something wrong trying to reset the expresskit?? Here are the pictures of the avital module..

forumrunner_20130315_033823.jpg

forumrunner_20130315_033838.jpg

forumrunner_20130315_033855.jpg

forumrunner_20130315_033906.jpg
Unread 03-15-2013, 03:47 AM   #19
livingrock21
2005 WK 

Doing a little more research, I think the expresskit module I have is the xk532.. Its hard to make out the xk532 in the picture, actually you can make out the xk and a 2 at the end, but after researching expresskits website I'm 99% sure its the module I have.. Heres a link to the product summary on this module...

http://www.xpresskit.com/product.aspx?productid=397

Now I'm even more confused how to reset this though... soo frustrating... I'm also starting to think a little more it may be with the avital module.. How do I go about resetting/reprogramming it, especially with that button (push button I was talking about earlier on)...

I hope you know about this peter, any and all others are very welcome to chime in too... All help is def appreciated...
Unread 03-15-2013, 09:35 AM   #20
PeterF
2006 WK 

I didn't think it was going to be an xk532. It must have been installed a long time ago. I'm not familiar with it but I just did some reading and I don't think you can reset/reprogram one of those. The 2 pin connector might be your issue. I know of a way you can test it. First put your key in the ignition but don't turn it or anything, just leave it there. Then try to remote start it. If the car starts and stays on, the problem is the 2 pin connector wire. The 2 pin connector goes up to your ignition(where you put the key in) and coils around that, making the car think one of your security chipped keys is in there. Check to make sure it coils around the ignition 3-5 times tightly. You can probably check that by popping off the trim piece around the ignition and looking in there. After you have made sure of that, test the remote start again. If it still doesn't work, try moving the wires coiled around the ignition to what seems like a better spot. Just shift them around a little bit. Then try testing it again
PeterF is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2013, 05:27 PM   #21
livingrock21
2005 WK 

I havent got to try what you said to try yet...

If it ends up not being the expresskit, do you know how to reset the avital module using that push button?... Even program it really..

I'll be going out here very shortly and trying what you said in you last post... As soon as I know the results I'll get on here and post them..
Unread 03-15-2013, 06:21 PM   #22
livingrock21
2005 WK 

Alright, well I have an update.. It does the same thing when trying to remote start it with the key in the off position... If I turn the key in the on position though and try remote starting it, it starts and stays running..

Looking at the wire wrap around the ignition switch looks like it was only wrapped around there once, not 3-5 times. I took a couple pictures to show you.

forumrunner_20130315_201910.jpg

forumrunner_20130315_201924.jpg

forumrunner_20130315_201932.jpg

forumrunner_20130315_201942.jpg

This last picture kind of had me stumped. Said programming active in the evic, and the security light was flashing.
Unread 03-15-2013, 08:16 PM   #23
PeterF
2006 WK 

That message will come up when the ignition is sensing multiple keys, which apparently it did when you had the key in there and the xpresskit was pretending to be a key. Overall I think this tells you that the problem is the xpresskit and the car security system shutting down the car. Try unplugging the battery and holding down the horn to drain the electrical system, or just leave it unplugged over night. Plug it back in the morning and see if the remote starter works. I think there is an unexplainable thing going on with the security system and the whole thing just needs to start over
Unread 03-16-2013, 05:32 PM   #24
livingrock21
2005 WK 

So in other words, if resetting doesnt work... I'm looking at having to get a new expresskit?
Unread 03-18-2013, 10:33 AM   #25
PeterF
2006 WK 

I don't think there's anything not fixable with the xpresskit or the avital
Unread 03-18-2013, 06:02 PM   #26
livingrock21
2005 WK 

I havent got a chance to try and drain all the electic from the system after I disconnect the battery... Maybe I'll go out and disconnect it now, just seeing as how I want to let it sit disconnected for atleast 12hrs +....

As far as it being unfixable, what else is there to try??? I'm def not trying to sound like a smart a$$ peter... I'm just kind of bummed out... I try to fix all the problems that come up with my vehicle and its looking like thats not going to happen this time... I absolutely appreciate all the help you've given me!! I just dont see what else there is to try after trying this battery disconnect...
Unread 03-18-2013, 06:52 PM   #27
PeterF
2006 WK 

Did you ever try looping that wire a few more times?
Unread 03-18-2013, 07:33 PM   #28
livingrock21
2005 WK 

No, I havent bud... I really wasnt sure if that would help or not.. I'll def try it if you think its worth trying.. I do have a couple questions about it before I start on it though, which I know I'll get the answers once I start taking it apart but would rather know before hand.. There is a positive and negative wire coming out of the expresskit, but it only looks like there is one wire wrapped around the black plastic peice around the ignition... So is that the positive and negative half wrapped and spliced together?? Either way it'll be easy to extend them by soldering more wire on to the ends..Am I right about that just being the negative and positive end to end spliced together?? Also, is it supposed to be wrapped around ontop of the black plastic peice over the ignition switch, or should it be wrapped around another part of the ignition switch/cylinder...

I cant say it enough, but thank again for all of your help!! That goes to anyone willing to help, or that has any ideas.... But you've definitely been a big help..
Unread 03-18-2013, 07:36 PM   #29
livingrock21
2005 WK 

Also, which would you try first if you were in my shoes? Disconnecting the battery, or wrapping the wire?? When I disconnect the battery and try that, I def want to disconnect it for 12 hours+, so I'll either be trying that tonight or extending and wrapping those wires a few (probably 5 more times...

-Tyler
Unread 03-18-2013, 07:48 PM   #30
PeterF
2006 WK 

Try the battery. I'm thinking there is something going wrong with the jeep computer.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.