please help with my remote start - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > please help with my remote start

All Bilstein shocks & struts - Lowest Prices Ever and Poison Spyder DeFenders™ - "Tubeless" Jeep FendeSanta Kolak Announces: Kolak Exhaust 20% Off Sale!

Unread 03-12-2013, 05:40 AM   #1
livingrock21
2005 WK 

please help with my remote start

I'm kind of at whits end, and really dont know where to go from here.. I have a 2005 Wk limited with the avital 4113 remote starter.. It also has an expresskit that I believe is part of the remote start system.. I've went through all the material I can read from DEI, but have come up short.. I'm hoping someone else has had a similar situation, read of a similar situation somewhere, or installs these systems.. I'm pretty much dieing here.... I'd TRUELY appreciate ANY and ALL information/comments...

The problem I'm having is that my jeep will start with the remote starter but then shuts off.. I could definitely be wrong, but what I've read its due to either a high or low tach reading.. Again, I could definitely bd wrong abojt fhat and please tell me if I am, and how to fix the problem. If it is the tach, how do I fix that?? How do you program these things, or even change the options on it..

All help would be greatly appreciated!!

livingrock21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-12-2013, 11:00 AM   #2
tom19511
2006 WK 

http://www.directeddealers.com/manua...08-07print.pdf

I had mine done, here is the manual though
2007 Liberty Sport 3.7
tom19511 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-12-2013, 05:14 PM   #3
livingrock21
2005 WK 

I've already checked that manual out.. Didnt really see anything that could help me..

My jeep came with the remote starter installed when I bought it.. It use to work fine, I cant really remember when it quit working..
Unread 03-13-2013, 08:22 PM   #4
jesse12801

I had a commander that the remote start went whacky on.It turned out to be something under the hood,I forget what.Not motor related but remote start parts related.My GC acted up last night for some reason.The back hatch open message all of a sudden came on while driving down the highway then when I went to start it later with the remote start it wouldn't work.It was odd for sure.Today,working fine!Thought it may be the battery in the remote or something.I'd look under the hood.I think there something like a toggle under there somewhere that is pressed down by the hood..
jesse12801 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-13-2013, 08:36 PM   #5
yzjwk
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by livingrock21 View Post
I'm kind of at whits end, and really dont know where to go from here.. I have a 2005 Wk limited with the avital 4113 remote starter.. It also has an expresskit that I believe is part of the remote start system.. I've went through all the material I can read from DEI, but have come up short.. I'm hoping someone else has had a similar situation, read of a similar situation somewhere, or installs these systems.. I'm pretty much dieing here.... I'd TRUELY appreciate ANY and ALL information/comments...

The problem I'm having is that my jeep will start with the remote starter but then shuts off.. I could definitely be wrong, but what I've read its due to either a high or low tach reading.. Again, I could definitely bd wrong abojt fhat and please tell me if I am, and how to fix the problem. If it is the tach, how do I fix that?? How do you program these things, or even change the options on it..

All help would be greatly appreciated!!
check all the connections on the remote start unit and security interface even remove and reconnect them . Sounds like something there is shutting it down . both boxes should be behind the steering wheel kick panel . another thing that will make the security kill the remote start is a dtc engine code or a faulty/dirty hood switch .
when you say you think it may be a high or low tach did you sit in the vehicle and command start it to see what everything was doing ?
good luck
2010 MK Patriot
yzjwk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-13-2013, 08:54 PM   #6
livingrock21
2005 WK 

I've seen bothe the avital 4113 control module, and the expresskit module... all the connections there are good, alont with the inline fuses...

I dont know where any of the saftey switches are.... ie the hood switch, ect... I bought my jeep with the remote start..

The only thing that has me thinking it could be tach readings is the manual... the manual makes it seem as if thats the only thing could becausing whats going on with my GC..

PLEASE... ANY AND ALL HELP/SUGGESTIONS are appreciated! !!
Unread 03-14-2013, 08:03 AM   #7
PeterF
2006 WK 

I am familiar with both the xpresskit and avital 4113. What do you mean it starts and shuts down? Does it start, idle for a few seconds, then shut down?
PeterF is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-14-2013, 09:03 AM   #8
livingrock21
2005 WK 

Peter, yeah thats exactly what its doing..
Unread 03-14-2013, 09:48 AM   #9
PeterF
2006 WK 

If it actually starts and idles, then I don't believe it has anything to do with tach. Do you have an xkloader2 module for programming the xpresskit? I would suggest reprogramming it. This definitely sounds like an issue with the security system.
Unread 03-14-2013, 04:32 PM   #10
livingrock21
2005 WK 

No, I dont have the programing module.. I was hoping there might be a way to program it by using the button on the side of it, or reset it... What is that button used for? Also, whoever installed my remote system put an on off switch in it, but theres also a push button switch that I cant really see what it goes to.. one more question for you, where do they normally install the saftey switches(hood ect.)?

Thanks for all your help bud, its def greatly appreciated! Any and all help is much appreciated..
Unread 03-14-2013, 05:11 PM   #11
livingrock21
2005 WK 

The more I'm reading, and the more I'm thinking... I think your right.. The problem is in the expresskit.. I just dont kniw where to go from here.. hooefully you, or someone else will be able to chime in and give me some insight on how to use the button on the side of it to program/set it to default.. Or give me some insight on what the seperate push button(not the on/off switch they installed) is that was installed in the system, and that may help me..
Unread 03-14-2013, 05:17 PM   #12
PeterF
2006 WK 

There is normally a hood switch, which is pushed down when the hood pushes it down, and is up when the hood is open. (it is located under the hood and physically makes contact with the hood) This is not your problem though because the remote starter would not even be able to attempt to start the car if this hood switch was not working properly. My guess is the switch under the dash is a ground switch. The avital comes with this, if the switch is flipped (which it isnt) then your avital will have no ground and won't be able to do anything. You may see another button that is connected to a wire type thing and this is a programming button for the avital, in the back of the installation manuals it typically tells you how to use that.

Anyways, on to fixing your problem. Because your system does not work I see no harm in resetting the xpresskit (DBALL model I'm assuming). Do not have the key in the ignition!! Start by unplugging the blue connector on the side of the xpresskit. This will kill power to the xpresskit. Then hold the xpresskit's button down and plug the blue connector back in. Keep holding down the button plenty long enough for an orange light to be on solid on the xpresskit. Now release the button and the light should turn red solid. Congrats, you have reset it. Now to program it make sure the light is red. Put your key in the ignition to the on position and the xpresskit light should flash green. Then take the key out and press unlock or lock on your factory remote and the light should turn solid green or orange for a moment and then turn off. Your xpresskit is now reprogrammed and in tune with the security system. Hopefully that fixes the problem, if not then come back and tell me
Unread 03-14-2013, 06:35 PM   #13
livingrock21
2005 WK 

AWESOME!!! I'll try this when I get home and let u know how it goes
Unread 03-14-2013, 06:57 PM   #14
livingrock21
2005 WK 

By the way, your talking about the button on the side of the expresskit.. not the push button(the one you were saying is probably used to program the avital system) that I cant really tell what that goes to (not the on/off switch either)..... another question... the push button I was just talking about, I can use that to program the avital system if it ends up being that??

THanks again for all your HELP... it so appreciated....
Unread 03-14-2013, 07:58 PM   #15
PeterF
2006 WK 

You can use that avital push button to program some things but not everything on the avital. I can't respond again until tomorrow. Best of luck and tell me how it goes

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.