Please help.... failed inspection!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Please help.... failed inspection!!

ARTEC JK UNDER ARMOR - 4 door Bellypan KitsSmittybilt Products at Oconee Off-Road!Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 04-12-2013, 09:35 AM   #1
caiati
2006 WK 

Please help.... failed inspection!!

Hi guys,

I installed Nitto Terra Grappler 265/70/17's with 1.5" wheel spacers last summer on my 2006 WK Limited. I obviously needed to get the wheel spacers. Problem is, I brought the Jeep in for inspection and it fails here in PA if the spacer is more than 1/4". I don't have the stock tires to put back on nor a set of spare wheels. It pretty much comes down to buying a new set of wheels. I need to know what the factory backspacing etc... is for the stock Ronin II 17" so I can get an aftermarket wheel with the correct backspacing/offset. Please advise!

Thanks,

Rob

Unread 04-12-2013, 09:44 AM   #2
LoveHate
1995 ZJ 

easiest way to check what you need is to take off one of your front tires and the spacer, then put the spacer on the rim like it sits when mounted, then measure from the face of the spacer to the back edge of the rim and that will be your current backspacing you are using. if the spacers work fine then find a rim with the same backspacing you are using.
Built Not Bought #693
LoveHate is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-12-2013, 09:47 AM   #3
LoveHate
1995 ZJ 

like this but with your spacer installed on the rim.
wheel-backspace-large.jpg  
Built Not Bought #693
LoveHate is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-12-2013, 09:52 AM   #4
Budasac
2005 WK 

See if you can find a local forum member who's willing to swap wheels for inspection. If you were local I would certainly do it for lunch and a beer. :-)

Alot cheaper then new wheels.
Budasac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-12-2013, 09:54 AM   #5
caiati
2006 WK 

The factory backspacing is 6.25" and I have an 1.5" spacer, so I guess its 4.75". Now the factory wheel is 7.5" wide, if I find a wheel that is 8" wide with 4.75" backspacing where will that 1/2" difference be? By the way, thank you very much for the quick help!!!
Unread 04-12-2013, 09:58 AM   #6
Budasac
2005 WK 

If the backspacing is the same but the wheel is .5" wider then it will stick out. 5" more.
Budasac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-12-2013, 10:05 AM   #7
caiati
2006 WK 

Thanks!
Unread 04-12-2013, 10:29 AM   #8
caiati
2006 WK 

How important is the bore of the wheel? I found a set that has a 78mm bore and the factory wheel is 71mm..... Is that okay or does it need to be exact?
Unread 04-12-2013, 06:53 PM   #9
msailors
2005 WK 

Better to be hub centric if possible, I believe you can get rings to make it fit the hub better. If it's not hub centric, the stress of the wheels and vehicle weight rides on the wheel studs.
Unread 04-13-2013, 12:36 AM   #10
trax95008
2006 XK Commander 

The irony is that a 1/4" spacer is acceptable, yet more dangerous than a bolt on spacer. Go figure...
trax95008 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-13-2013, 10:02 AM   #11
caiati
2006 WK 

I agree.... I for the life of me can't find anything hubcentric within my price range... Any suggestions?
Unread 04-13-2013, 11:44 AM   #12
nocojeep
2006 WK 

Ideal fitment for a 17 inch after market wheel would be a 17 x 8.5 with an offset between +10mm and +18 mm. That will give you appropriate clearance from steering and suspension components without pushing the tires too far outside of the fenders. Many companies make hub-centric rings that will take the center bore of the wheel down to the hub size of the vehicle. They make both plastic and metal rings. I would use plastic rings because I have seen (especially in areas that have a lot of snow with salt of mag chloride on the roads) I have seen metal rings get corroded on to the hub and are a real pain to get off. Both plastic and metal function the same, but if the plastic rings get stuck they are easier to remove. On average a set of plastic hub rings run $5-$10. So if you need to buy new wheels, find something you like the look of, make sure it is around 8.5 in wide and in the correct offset range, then finding hub-centric rings should be easy and inexpensive.
nocojeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-13-2013, 02:03 PM   #13
caiati
2006 WK 

Thank you very much! I ordered a set of wheels 17x8 with a 4.89" backspace and a +10mm offset. The hun bore is 78.1mm. The stock hub bore is 71.5mm.

It looks like it fits into your suggestions correct? Where can I find the right bore spacers?
Unread 04-13-2013, 02:05 PM   #14
caiati
2006 WK 

Nevermind.... Just found a set of polycarbonates on eBay!!! Thanks again!!!
Unread 04-13-2013, 02:29 PM   #15
AJeepZJ
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by caiati View Post
Nevermind.... Just found a set of polycarbonates on eBay!!! Thanks again!!!
That's great. I'm glad you were able to resolve this. I'm really glad we don't have ridiculous laws like this in N.C.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.