Plastidip questions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Plastidip questions

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!2007 - 2011 Jeep JK Long Arm Lift KitsIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 06-13-2013, 06:28 PM   #1
WieSeL

Plastidip questions

I just plastidipped my wheels yesterday and noticed it really looks like rhino line. I think I might of held the can too far away from the wheels as it has a lot of texture and feels almost soft when you touch them. I have seen another car with plastidip wheels and it looked more like paint and had less texture. Did I do something wrong or is this normal to have a lot of texture? How hard is it to get it off if I feel like redoing it?

WieSeL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2013, 06:32 PM   #2
ChanWK
2005 WK 

My plastidip grill has a little bit of texture but not a lot. Very easy to get off just peel away once you get a little corner off
ChanWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2013, 06:48 PM   #3
WieSeL

I almost like the texture but just doesn't look like the other car I saw. Kind of looks like a bed liner texture and doesn't feel hard like paint. Touched it up today and in one spot I sprayed to much and it looks smoother and more like a powdercoat finish. Idk
Unread 06-13-2013, 06:55 PM   #4
ChanWK
2005 WK 

One of my badges turned out a little bit bubbley so I just took it off. I'll just respray it when its nice out again
ChanWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2013, 06:56 PM   #5
rubiconkid4x4

2007 WK 

I would redo it man.. the way you're saying it's soft and stuff won't IMO be too durable. Take it off, wash your wheels again and do light coats. You won't get the whole wheel black after 1,2 maybe 3 coats but keep the coats an even amount of spray and ample time to dry and bond to itself.
Unread 06-13-2013, 06:59 PM   #6
WieSeL

Bubbley? Like too textured or spotted? My wheels look like a really textured powdercoat or a lightly textured rhino line.
Unread 06-13-2013, 07:09 PM   #7
WieSeL

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubiconkid4x4 View Post
I would redo it man.. the way you're saying it's soft and stuff won't IMO be too durable. Take it off, wash your wheels again and do light coats. You won't get the whole wheel black after 1,2 maybe 3 coats but keep the coats an even amount of spray and ample time to dry and bond to itself.
It almost feels soft. It isn't a smooth black but a textured black. I did over 5 coats and did very very light coats from about 12 inches away. Is it supposed to be a smooth texture?
Unread 06-13-2013, 07:21 PM   #8
rubiconkid4x4

2007 WK 

Yeah at least stuff ive plastidipped is fairly smooth. 12 inches is what they recommend but im usually at 6-10 inches away. How long did you shake it prior to use?
Unread 06-13-2013, 07:31 PM   #9
WieSeL

About one minute. Shook the hell out of it. It looks somewhat smooth in some areas but then very textured in others. The closer and more concentrated I sprayed in an area turned out smooth but the others very rough or textured looking. Id hate to spend another 4 hours getting this stuff off!
Unread 06-13-2013, 08:12 PM   #10
MagJeep
2006 WK 

You're going to get a more textured finish when your coats are really light and the can in held farther away. If you really put a heavy coat on until the wheel looks wet but not to the point where its running, you'll get a smoother look. Of course you still should let it dry in between coats.
MagJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2013, 10:03 PM   #11
audiophonicz
2007 WK 

http://www.youtube.com/user/DipYourCarcom - watch the videos, theres lots of tips.

www.dipyourcar.com - at least get the larger spray tip. for better results get a gallon and a wagner control spray from home depot.

rattlecans are never very smooth, or a paint job wouldn't cost thousands.
audiophonicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2013, 10:32 AM   #12
sebastien
2006 WK 

You sprayed from too far away, you can use a paint thinner to smooth it out,then repaint the area instead of peeling it off completely and starting over..
Unread 06-14-2013, 06:06 PM   #13
WieSeL

Ok yeah sprayed too light of coats. Started peeling it off today. Got half of one wheel done. It's somewhat easy to get off but only comes off in 2-6 inch strips, I think because I sprayed it in too thin of coats. Thanks for the advice. Going to respray next week in thicker coats. Ya live and you learn...
Unread 06-14-2013, 07:04 PM   #14
sebastien
2006 WK 

I sprayed mine yesterday but it came it pretty ugly. I am going to leave it since I don't care. lol.
Unread 06-16-2013, 06:21 PM   #15
WieSeL

Started peeling off the dip. It's fairly easy to do but is coming off in real small strips. Think because it was sprayed in too thin of coats. Got 3 wheels done in about an hour or a little more. Going to redo it in thicker more concentrated coats this time. Also got all new lug nuts in chrome and am taking my stock chrome center caps out of the old wheels and plastidipping the Jeep emblem only. Think the chrome center caps and lug nuts will offset the black and match the chrome limited trim nicely.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.