Plastic Piece Rattles - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Plastic Piece Rattles

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!2007 - 2011 Jeep JK Long Arm Lift KitsIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 06-18-2013, 05:02 PM   #1
Jeepforthewin
Lucky Charms!

2005 WK 

Plastic Piece Rattles

I just got my Monroe Load Levelers adjusted and noticed and knocking sound when I hit a bump. Realized that the plastic guard on the rear driver side was hitting the coil on the shocks so I took a drywall cutter and cut a piece off so it wouldn't contact. Went to test to make sure it fixed it and it still rattles. Any ideas? It makes the exact same
Sound whenever I pull the plastic peice and let it go.

Unread 06-18-2013, 05:03 PM   #2
Jeepforthewin
Lucky Charms!

2005 WK 

Meant Monroe Load Levelers installed
Unread 06-18-2013, 06:19 PM   #3
Jvenrick

2007 WK 

How much did you cut off? Also just another idea. Did you make sure to put some washers up with the top mount?
2007 Grand Cherokee Rocky Mountain Edition: 4.7L V8- QTII- Green- Mopar Recovery Hooks Front/Rear- 2in Rough Country lift- 265/70/17 Cooper discover AT3's- 1in BORA wheel spacers- Rola roof basket with extension- F-150 Monroe load levelers- Putco window vents- plasti-dipped wheels- Stillen rotors and pads- solid diff cover- N Dure tail light guards
Jvenrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2013, 06:36 PM   #4
Jeepforthewin
Lucky Charms!

2005 WK 

I cut off a good amount. About an inch and a glad gap between closest point and the coil. And yes haha I put washers on the top mount. Ill have to take a closet look when I get a chance. More of an annoyance than anything
Unread 06-18-2013, 09:39 PM   #5
Jeepforthewin
Lucky Charms!

2005 WK 

So I got back to base and decided to try and mess around with it a bit more and I'm pretty sure now that it's not the plastic peice. I opened my rear door grabbed on the inside and rocked the jeep a little back and forth and it was making the sound. Literally sounds like something is loose. Hopefully I can get a friend to rock it back and forth while I go underneath to see if I can find it. Not sure if I can tomorrow may have to wait till
Thursday
Unread 06-18-2013, 09:46 PM   #6
audiophonicz
2007 WK 

shock bolts tight? I had the same kinda thing after I put my SL on, turned out one of the top bolts wasn't snug enough and the bushing had the tiniest bit if play in it. 1/4 turn and the knock was gone.
audiophonicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2013, 07:44 AM   #7
Jeepforthewin
Lucky Charms!

2005 WK 

Yes and once i get off work ill have to check to make sure all the bolts are tight. Thats about the only other thing I could think it would be seeing as nothing else has to be touched to swap out the shocks haha
Unread 06-19-2013, 02:12 PM   #8
Jeepforthewin
Lucky Charms!

2005 WK 

I checked the bolts they are all good. I noticed some marks on the shock where the coil is rubbing that's only other thing I can think of. It's not a squeaking sound so I'm lost now haha
Unread 06-20-2013, 03:54 PM   #9
Jeepforthewin
Lucky Charms!

2005 WK 

Anyone know some signs of a bad shock? I've pretty much isolated the sound to being the shock itself. It makes a knocking sound when it is compressed so that's the only last thing I can think of. I'm assuming it needs to be replaced now?

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.