Pinch Weld Question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Pinch Weld Question

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineJeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at Baselin

Unread 09-21-2012, 08:00 PM   #1
Houston910

Pinch Weld Question *ADDED PICS*

Well, ive been looking at alot of build threads where people did the pinch weld. noticed that everyone strattles the weld spots and just knocks the weld over. well i grinded straight through the welds and took the metal from the pinch weld as far back as possible without knocking it over. so there is no more weld spots now.

my question is will it eventually start to mess up later on down the road? like since i cut the welds off will it start to split? and is there any way to fix it if so?

Im a 19 year old college guy who tying to learn! lol

please no negativity. thanks!

img_1134.jpg   img_1135.jpg   img_1136.jpg   img_1137.jpg  

Last edited by Houston910; 09-22-2012 at 10:14 AM.. Reason: Pictures
Houston910 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-21-2012, 08:07 PM   #2
DuffDaddy
2007 WK 

A pinch weld is the location where current is passed through the metal(literally pinched), it becomes liquid, cools then is one solid piece. When you grind this spot weld away, normally the manufacturer will use a chemical bond to help that weld and seal it but the chemical wont hold the metal. This probably wasn't the best idea but good luck.
Unread 09-21-2012, 08:11 PM   #3
JeepN4KC
Keep on Jeepin on........

I'm a little confused. Got pics?

Are you saying you just cut the entire pinch weld out instead of folding it over? I hope not. There is a reason people are making their cuts between the spot welds.

From what I understand of your method - yes, it will eventually split because you eliminated the welds holding the seam together. And, if this is the case you will need to get some flat stock steel, or strap that is wide enough, and weld it into what's left of the seam.

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
Sept 2013 Cherokee of the Month
'07 WK with some other stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
'11 KK with mostly stock stuff
'06WK our first Jeep with stock stuff - totalled and gone
JeepN4KC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-21-2012, 08:23 PM   #4
Houston910

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepN4KC View Post
I'm a little confused. Got pics?

Are you saying you just cut the entire pinch weld out instead of folding it over? I hope not. There is a reason people are making their cuts between the spot welds.

From what I understand of your method - yes, it will eventually split because you eliminated the welds holding the seam together. And, if this is the case you will need to get some flat stock steel, or strap that is wide enough, and weld it into what's left of the seam.
Yes, im saying i cut it completely off, i will take pictures tomorrow to show you guys what im talking about. but from what yall are saying i F**Ked up. blame my stepdad not me! his idea! but anyays, im guessing i will have to fix/get it fixed.
Unread 09-21-2012, 08:29 PM   #5
JeepN4KC
Keep on Jeepin on........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston910 View Post
Well, ive been looking at alot of build threads where people did the pinch weld. noticed that everyone strattles the weld spots and just knocks the weld over. well i grinded straight through the welds and took the metal from the pinch weld as far back as possible without knocking it over. so there is no more weld spots now.

my question is will it eventually start to mess up later on down the road? like since i cut the welds off will it start to split? and is there any way to fix it if so?

Im a 19 year old college guy who tying to learn! lol

please no negativity. thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston910 View Post
Yes, im saying i cut it completely off, i will take pictures tomorrow to show you guys what im talking about. but from what yall are saying i F**Ked up. blame my stepdad not me! his idea! but anyays, im guessing i will have to fix/get it fixed.
I don't even know where to begin - but good luck with the fix.

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
Sept 2013 Cherokee of the Month
'07 WK with some other stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
'11 KK with mostly stock stuff
'06WK our first Jeep with stock stuff - totalled and gone
JeepN4KC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-21-2012, 08:49 PM   #6
Moose25
2008 WK 

I am not laughing right now. that sucks man, good luck! Have any buddies that can weld?
[CENTER][FONT="Arial Narrow"][COLOR="Black"]OME HD : BFG MUD TERRAIN KM2's 285/70/17 : JK AEV PINTLERS 17" : K&N FIPK : MAGNAFLOW MUFFLER : AIRAID TBS: PW / RF MOD: HYPERTECH PROGRAMMED: THULE MOAB/SNOWBOARD/BIKE RACK[/COLOR][/FONT][/CENTER][LEFT][FONT="Showcard Gothic"][I]
[SIZE="1"][COLOR="Black"]snowboard.dirt bike.wakeboard.backpack.hike.4x4.mountain bike.
ITS A JEEP THING[/COLOR][/SIZE][/I][/FONT][/LEFT][CENTER][SIZE="2"][B][FONT="Courier New"][COLOR="Silver"]SEMPER FIDELIS[/COLOR][/FONT] [/B][/SIZE][/CENTER]
Moose25 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-21-2012, 08:55 PM   #7
Houston910

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepN4KC View Post
I don't even know where to begin - but good luck with the fix.
Sorry for confusing you man, my stepdad cut the welds off. i trusted what he was doing because he does stuff like that everyday of his life. so obviously its a big mistake and i need to know now if its fixable?
Unread 09-21-2012, 08:58 PM   #8
Houston910

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose25 View Post
I am not laughing right now. that sucks man, good luck! Have any buddies that can weld?
Well, my stepdad can. he is the one that cut the weld off to begin with. just need to know if i can fix it and be ok in the future, or would i be better off selling it and getting another WK to do it right next time?
Unread 09-21-2012, 09:05 PM   #9
mattydipps
2006 WK 

can we see some pics of the damage?

NVM just noticed u first posted this an hour ago... dude i dont even know if its possible to even weld that back on and FIX the structural integrity of the truck
Unread 09-21-2012, 11:12 PM   #10
skrach77
2005 WK 

I'm purely guessing here- but my mechanical engineering degree tells me that running a weld bead (properly) down the seam would restore the electrical flow properties as well as restore (most) of the integrity of the body assembly. I would think this is what a dealership will want to do as well, after they give up on trying to convince you to actually replace the front clip and associated body panels... I would say run a weld down it and go from there. There is WAY more involved that creates the strength and join those body panels than just the pinch weld... I wouldn't be super worried about it after it was rewelded.
skrach77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-22-2012, 10:43 AM   #11
Houston910

Quote:
Originally Posted by skrach77 View Post
I'm purely guessing here- but my mechanical engineering degree tells me that running a weld bead (properly) down the seam would restore the electrical flow properties as well as restore (most) of the integrity of the body assembly. I would think this is what a dealership will want to do as well, after they give up on trying to convince you to actually replace the front clip and associated body panels... I would say run a weld down it and go from there. There is WAY more involved that creates the strength and join those body panels than just the pinch weld... I wouldn't be super worried about it after it was rewelded.

ok, thanks alot for your help man! i just uploaded some pictures onto here so you guys can see what im working with. sorry for the size, i uploaded from my computer and didnt think they would be this horrific.
Unread 09-22-2012, 09:52 PM   #12
DuffDaddy
2007 WK 

You do realize that if you just weld it. And have an accident and you or someone is killed your getting a big big lawsuit. This is the integrity of the car. No bashing his did body work for transcend this is quite important
Unread 09-22-2012, 10:47 PM   #13
sk1er18
2007 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuffDaddy View Post
You do realize that if you just weld it. And have an accident and you or someone is killed your getting a big big lawsuit. This is the integrity of the car. No bashing his did body work for transcend this is quite important
What????? Lol that's a huge stretch. Cutting that pinch weld isn't gonna kill someone in an accident.
Unread 09-22-2012, 10:53 PM   #14
dsjr2006
2006 WK 

I would re-weld the seam. The welds are there to help keep the pieces together so eliminating them is not a good idea.

05-08 WK Service Manual PDF: [url]http://bit.ly/VxI9z0[/url]
dsjr2006 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-23-2012, 06:39 AM   #15
DuffDaddy
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk1er18 View Post
What????? Lol that's a huge stretch. Cutting that pinch weld isn't gonna kill someone in an accident.
It won't but if that Sean is designed to absorb a force and it can't take that same amount of impact more will be transfer to you and passengers. They look for stuff like this is all I'm saying.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.