Pinch weld mod question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Pinch weld mod question

Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955XHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 08-30-2013, 12:35 PM   #1
Jeepforthewin
Lucky Charms!

2005 WK 

Pinch weld mod question

I searched the other threads about this and havnt found an answer. What size rivets do I need to reinstall the fender liner? And also do we have to use the poly rivets of will steel or aluminum work to? I have looked at harbor freight and they were completely out and all the other store only carry certain sizes.

Unread 08-30-2013, 12:56 PM   #2
Anon155
2005 WK 

Almost every body panel is held on by those plastic rivets on most newer cars anymore. I wouldn't worry about using steel/aluminum if they used the plastic from the factory. Plastic is cheaper and easier to replace. I bought them in bulk online. They're a 1/4" in size. The ones you bought with the plastic rivet gun kit will work just fine. I believe they were the largest sized set in the pack. That's what I used when I first did the pinch weld mod. I'll post a link to the ones I bought later on, they come in packs of 25. I bought several packs along with the push retainers (used on the grill).

Rivets:
http://www.clipsandfasteners.com/1_4...p_p/a13750.htm

Push Retainers:
http://www.clipsandfasteners.com/Pus...pas1860-25.htm
05 Jeep Grand Cherokee: ORT 4X4; Khaki #55
Too many mod's to list...
Anon155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2013, 01:05 PM   #3
Jeepforthewin
Lucky Charms!

2005 WK 

Thanks for the links! I ran out if time today to start and finish the project but I will check the sizes of the ones I currently have.
Unread 08-30-2013, 03:20 PM   #4
trax95008
2006 XK Commander 

A metal rivet will NOT work at all! They don't expand enough. The plastic rivets function differently than a metal rivet. They expand about 4 times larger
trax95008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2013, 07:52 PM   #5
JeepN4KC
Keep on Jeepin on........

Use poly rivets - it's the right tool for the job.

6.3mm x 25.2mm

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
Sept 2013 Cherokee of the Month
'07 WK with some other stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
'11 KK with mostly stock stuff
'06WK our first Jeep with stock stuff - totalled and gone
JeepN4KC is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.