Perils of going to a 255/75/17 tire... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Perils of going to a 255/75/17 tire...

SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!FLASH SALE! Open thread to reveil the Newest Sale @ ROCKRIIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 02-12-2015, 02:50 PM   #1
pastryslayer
2006 WK 

Perils of going to a 255/75/17 tire...

After long term affairs with a ZJ and then a WJ, I'm two months into an '06 WK 4.7 Laredo with 64,000 on the clock. Wasn't planning on mods right away, buuuuuuut...

An offer for take offs, basically brand new, from a '14 JK Sahara has dropped into my lap. 255/75/17s. Wrangler SRA's not the greatest. But my understanding is that the wheels are the same dimensions as mine. So I sell mine and basically Im spending almost nothing to get them. Im looking at a 2" lift, either an RC or the Heavy Metal. Later on I'll add bilsteins.

So my concerns are pinch weld and UCA bolt clearance. That and not being able to fit a spare in the usual spot. Would prefer not using spacers. Anybody use this? What did you have to do? What worked? Should I just wait for a slightly smaller tire deal? Thanks in advance. I've done a ton of reading but I'm seeing a lot of conflicting info.

pastryslayer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-12-2015, 02:53 PM   #2
BonesWK
Web Wheeler

2006 WK 

The tires are only part of the problem, the JK wheels wont fit without a spacer - they will contact the caliper
If you want to achieve greatness, stop asking for permission
BonesWK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-12-2015, 02:59 PM   #3
pastryslayer
2006 WK 

Should've mentioned I planned to swap the tires to my wheels if the JKs don't fit. Some have said they do, some not, depending on the year with the 17s. The mounting dimensions on my wheels are the same unless I'm missing something.
Unread 02-13-2015, 06:45 AM   #4
OttawaJeepClub

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonesWK View Post
The tires are only part of the problem, the JK wheels wont fit without a spacer - they will contact the caliper
I put on a set of stock goodyear all seasons with the Moab looking wheels from a 2012 JK (for the winter). Rubs on the frame at full lock, but no contact with the caliper (it's close though).

My summer set of MT's 255/75/17 I did the pinch weld mod finally.
OttawaJeepClub is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-13-2015, 09:55 AM   #5
mat8828
1983 CJ7 

I put take off rub icons on my 06 wk, I trimmed the bottom of the ball joint bolt and had to very lightly clearance the caliper on one side. Just take an angle grinder with a flap disc and go over the outside edge of the caliper. Super easy. I get no rubbing, no spacers installed
mat8828 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-13-2015, 10:23 AM   #6
bustacrab
2005 WK 

Putting those wheels on is not a big deal. Just the caliper and ball joint issue. with a 255/75/17, You shouldn't need to do the UCA bolt mod, but it isn't hard either. Buy a grinder from Harbor Freight and get a flapper wheel you'll spend ~ 5 minutes/tire. That spare should easily fit under your jeep. I have a 265/70/17 in the stock location without any mods.
bustacrab is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-13-2015, 10:54 AM   #7
pastryslayer
2006 WK 

Any idea if the rubis and the Saharan are the same? I am led to believe the Moabs are different...
Unread 02-13-2015, 01:21 PM   #8
luckyse7ens
2010 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bustacrab View Post
Putting those wheels on is not a big deal. Just the caliper and ball joint issue. with a 255/75/17, You shouldn't need to do the UCA bolt mod, but it isn't hard either. Buy a grinder from Harbor Freight and get a flapper wheel you'll spend ~ 5 minutes/tire. That spare should easily fit under your jeep. I have a 265/70/17 in the stock location without any mods.
Do this or get .25" front wheel spacers.
Black WK Club #152
luckyse7ens is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-13-2015, 01:22 PM   #9
luckyse7ens
2010 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pastryslayer View Post
Any idea if the rubis and the Saharan are the same? I am led to believe the Moabs are different...
Sahara has 18" wheels and fits with no spacer or mods.
Black WK Club #152
luckyse7ens is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-13-2015, 01:53 PM   #10
pastryslayer
2006 WK 

These are 17s. Came off a Sahara. Maybe not the same thing. Hmm.
Unread 02-15-2015, 11:14 AM   #11
pastryslayer
2006 WK 

Picked them up last night. The tires are under 1,000 miles and the rims look pretty much new. For $275 I'll make it work. Lift for sure, spacers and grinding if needed.

After further review I think they are just the regular 17" JK wheels and happened to be on a sahara.
Unread 02-17-2015, 10:21 AM   #12
ggrassmid

I picked these up the other week. I have no rubbing on caliper or standard road driving. I will have to do the pinch weld on the front and the fender roll on the rear as I get rubbing on compression when stuffing into the fender. I wont be getting a lift installed this year, but that will help. The wheels are off a 2014 Rubicon.
new-wheels-side-small.jpg  
JF Black WK Club #168
ggrassmid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-17-2015, 11:01 AM   #13
mat8828
1983 CJ7 

Looks good
mat8828 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-17-2015, 01:31 PM   #14
pastryslayer
2006 WK 

It sure does. I'm leaning towards swapping the tires to my rims. I'll lift 2" at the same time. Hoping to avoid the pinch weld but we'll see.

The difference between the take off and my stock tires side by side is pretty dramatic.
Unread 02-17-2015, 11:03 PM   #15
Drudgery1971

2007 WK 

I love the way your Jeep looks. Nice work. Simple and clean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggrassmid View Post
I picked these up the other week. I have no rubbing on caliper or standard road driving. I will have to do the pinch weld on the front and the fender roll on the rear as I get rubbing on compression when stuffing into the fender. I wont be getting a lift installed this year, but that will help. The wheels are off a 2014 Rubicon.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.