? for people with roof racks - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > ? for people with roof racks

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 02-27-2014, 01:26 PM   #1
Juan-G
2010 WK 

? for people with roof racks

I recently installed my rola and I am wondering if anyone has had any problems taking their wk through the car wash with the rack on. I usually take it for a cheap wash then hand wash it afterwords, then wax when needed.

:2010 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo : : Black WK Club #109:
Juan-G is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2014, 01:50 PM   #2
BoraBora
2006 WK 

Depends. You should be good as long as you don't have anything on the rack. Ever since I put lights on mine I've been restricted to washing the Jeep myself (the lights will break off).
2006 Black WK, Modified OME HD ~3.5'', Bilstein 5100's, 1.5" Wheel Spacers, Black JK Moabs, 285/70/R17 Duratracs, 7W Reverse LED's, tow hooks, 2 Hella 500ff's behind grill, Expanded sheet metal grill, ORT badge, Tail light guards, Firestik 3', Aux. input, Black housing headlights, Stingray roof basket, 2 Hella 500ffs on roof rack, 18% tint.
BoraBora is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2014, 02:00 PM   #3
Jeepforthewin
Lucky Charms!

2005 WK 

I would assume it depends on the company policy of the carwash.
Unread 02-27-2014, 02:24 PM   #4
Drudgery1971

2007 WK 

I personally wouldn't do it with or without the rack on simply because the brush car cashes in my area scratch the heck out of the driver and passenger pillars. We do have a touchless really high pressure one that works well enough in the winter. I just think the WK and XK are too boxed and sharp edged for most brush wash equipment - that or the one I tried wasn't setup right.
Unread 02-27-2014, 02:39 PM   #5
Anon155
2005 WK 

Like said above, I would never trust an auto car wash with any of my vehicles, especially in the winter. Those auto car washes have a tendency to really scratch up your paint even without the rack on top. They hold a lot of the dirt/debris from previous cars going through. Is it nice for convenience? Sure. But a good hand wand car wash will always do a better job than any auto/drive thru. I was talking to the owner of the biggest one around me (It's 2 blocks long), and he said he wouldn't want a Jeep like mine to go through one either. He lets them, but the brushes would have a harder time cleaning it, as well as could get stuck in parts of the rack. Waste of money IMO.
05 Jeep Grand Cherokee: ORT 4X4; Khaki #55
Too many mod's to list...
Anon155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2014, 02:40 PM   #6
Juan-G
2010 WK 

So it looks like im going to be washing this by hand from now on. Or paying my little brother to do it
:2010 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo : : Black WK Club #109:
Juan-G is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2014, 08:24 PM   #7
94jeepman
Jager93

2005 WK 

If it's one of the touch free car wash that only spray water and soap you should be good depending on the height restrictions of car wash. I don't go through ones with the rollers and shams in them. Scratched my other vehicle and seen a lot of other vehicles get scratched at a lot of them
KHAKI MEMBER #59

The WK mods: SC flashpaq 3870, flow master super 40, 3.5" X Factor leveling kit, 33" M/T baja claws, 17" pro comp wheels, one 12 inch subwoofer, rugged ridge tailight gaurds, rola rack with 18" extension
94jeepman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2014, 03:52 PM   #8
JeepN4KC
Keep on Jeepin on........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drudgery1971 View Post
I personally wouldn't do it with or without the rack on simply because the brush car cashes in my area scratch the heck out of the driver and passenger pillars. We do have a touchless really high pressure one that works well enough in the winter. I just think the WK and XK are too boxed and sharp edged for most brush wash equipment - that or the one I tried wasn't setup right.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anon155 View Post
Like said above, I would never trust an auto car wash with any of my vehicles, especially in the winter. Those auto car washes have a tendency to really scratch up your paint even without the rack on top. They hold a lot of the dirt/debris from previous cars going through. Is it nice for convince? Sure. But a good hand wand car wash will always do a better job than any auto/drive thru. I was talking to the owner of the biggest one around me (It's 2 blocks long), and he said he wouldn't want a Jeep like mine to go through one either. He lets them, but the brushes would have a harder time cleaning it, as well as could get stuck in parts of the rack. Waste of money IMO.
^^^ This and that.

Manual washing only for my rigs.

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
Sept 2013 Cherokee of the Month
'07 WK with some other stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
'11 KK with mostly stock stuff
'06WK our first Jeep with stock stuff - totalled and gone
JeepN4KC is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.