PCV valve - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > PCV valve

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsCurrie

Unread 08-28-2011, 07:53 PM   #1
JeepN4KC
Keep on Jeepin on........

PCV valve

Hey all,

I want to inspect PCV valve but I have a few questions:

1. Where exactly is it?

2. What am I looking for during inspection?

3. Any tricks to replacing it?

Thanks in advance for any help!

JeepN4KC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-29-2011, 12:41 PM   #2
Nejeep

Depends on the model year and engine. Guessing by your sig it a 2007 but, what engine do you have?

97 Laredo - 4.0 4x4 Daily driver for 8 years then relocated to Arizona for 6 more years with the relatives
Nejeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-29-2011, 11:42 PM   #3
JeepN4KC

It is a 2007 4.7L V8 Flexfuel. Turns out it is on the driver side header closest to the firewall. Anybody here ever taken one of those out to check or replace? The thing is in a wasps nest of vacuum lines and wires and tucked right up against the firewall
Unread 08-30-2011, 11:21 AM   #4
JeepN4KC

pcv valve swap

Update:

Got the new pcv valve from dealer and replaced it. The old one was dirty but the machanism still rattled. Maybe could have gotten away with sprayin it with carb/brake cleaner -but - I figured I already went through the trouble to figure this out and get the old one out. So, I put the new one in:

It just screws in and out. Caution: if you just drove from the shop to get the part, then the one you're taking out will be hot. There is a hose that seats on top of the valve - just pull it off. Used a set of channel locks to unscrew the old and set the new one. (If you look at the fourth pic closely you can see it threads in just past the rear of the fuel rail). Reattatched the hose to the top of new pcv valve. Piece of cake!

The WK has around 54k miles and was having an erratic idle that hovered around 500rpm's. Now it purrs along at a steady 600rpm's. Plus, while I was figuring all this out, yesterday I changed fluids in front/rear diffs &
t-case, and changed brake pads. A good couple days work!

I have pics but have no idea where to add attatchments.
Unread 08-30-2011, 11:56 AM   #5
JRLT
2010 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepN4KC View Post
I have pics but have no idea where to add attatchments.
Easier to just upload to a photo site like photobucket.com and then copy & paste the "IMG" code they give you into the white space. Do the "Go Advanced" instead of quick reply that way you can preview your post and see if your pics are working.
JRLT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-30-2011, 12:51 PM   #6
JeepN4KC

pics of pcv valve swap

Thanks for the heads up with photos JRTL. Again, this is on an 07 WK 4.7L
V8 flexfuel. Anyway, here are some pics for anybody wanting to do this:

New pcv valve with mopar Part#:

PCV valve with light shining on it "glowing" in the back:

Blue clip (this is actually the flange to the plastic piece fitted to the body):

Threaded slot just beyond fuel rail:

New pcv valve threaded in with hose boot reattached:

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
Sept 2013 Cherokee of the Month
'07 WK with some other stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
'11 KK with mostly stock stuff
'06WK our first Jeep with stock stuff - totalled and gone

Last edited by JeepN4KC; 08-30-2011 at 02:06 PM..
Unread 08-30-2011, 05:33 PM   #7
wcjr
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Does anyone have a picture of the location on a 2005 hemi?
wcjr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-30-2011, 06:56 PM   #8
Jeepin1990
2006 WK 

Where did you purchase the valve. And where is located on the 3.7l wk. 2006?
2006 3.7l WK, OME MD, 265/70-17 Nitto Terra Grapplers, Pro Comp Xtreme Alloy Flat Black, JeepinByAl Front Strut Spacers, JKS Front and Rear Disconnects, Powerwire, JBA Headers, Airaid Upper Intake Tube, Hypertech Max Energy, 4xGuard Front Skid, 6000k HID Lows
Jeepin1990 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-30-2011, 07:11 PM   #9
Nejeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepin1990 View Post
Where did you purchase the valve. And where is located on the 3.7l wk. 2006?
The PVC on a 2006 3.7 is on the side of the oil fill tube. Pull off the hose and rotate the valve CCW about a 1/4 of a turn. Note - they changed the location after 2006.
FWIW the rattle test is not a lot of help if the spring is broken or weak. Just replace the PCV if its time or your think there's a problem. The dealer is probably the best source, but I got mine from NAPA.

97 Laredo - 4.0 4x4 Daily driver for 8 years then relocated to Arizona for 6 more years with the relatives
Unread 08-30-2011, 07:21 PM   #10
Jeepin1990
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nejeep

The PVC on a 2006 3.7 is on the side of the oil fill tube. Pull off the hose and rotate the valve CCW about a 1/4 of a turn. Note - they changed the location after 2006.
FWIW the rattle test is not a lot of help if the spring is broken or weak. Just replace the PCV if its time or your think there's a problem. The dealer is probably the best source, but I got mine from NAPA.
What would be some reasons for changing the valve?
2006 3.7l WK, OME MD, 265/70-17 Nitto Terra Grapplers, Pro Comp Xtreme Alloy Flat Black, JeepinByAl Front Strut Spacers, JKS Front and Rear Disconnects, Powerwire, JBA Headers, Airaid Upper Intake Tube, Hypertech Max Energy, 4xGuard Front Skid, 6000k HID Lows
Jeepin1990 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-30-2011, 10:01 PM   #11
Billybcpt
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcjr View Post
Does anyone have a picture of the location on a 2005 hemi?
The PCV valve on the HEMI is located on the top of the engine towards the back on the left. It's black and has a hose running from it into the intake manifold. It twists right off in a counter clock-wise direction, may be tight though. Shake it, if it rattles it's most likely good just clean it up with some brake cleaner then reinstall tightly. Hope this helps!
Billybcpt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-31-2011, 03:05 PM   #12
Nejeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepin1990 View Post
What would be some reasons for changing the valve?
In my case I was getting oil dripping onto the air filter element from the PCV air inlet hose connected to the top part of the filter housing. Air is supposed to be flowing from the air filter housing into the PCV system not the other way. I suspected the PCV valve was not flowing enough, so I replaced it and the oil dripping stopped. There was a noticable increase in air flow (suction) thru the PVC hose at idle with the new NAPA PVC valve. I cut the old valve apart to see if the spring was broken or stuck, but it looked pristine inside. Guess it was just a weak spring from the factory as it had only 25k miles on it at the time. The spring pushes the valve open so if it gets weak or breaks it closes further than it should and reduces air flow.
The old valve still rattled very nicely, but as I now know that is not a positive test.

Unread 09-08-2011, 10:30 AM   #13
08WKJGC
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nejeep View Post
I want to change the PCV valve on my 08 3.7, can somebody post up a pic of the location of it? Thanks!
Unread 09-10-2011, 10:42 PM   #14
08WKJGC
1998 ZJ 

Nobody has changed one on a 07+ 3.7l?
Unread 09-10-2011, 11:08 PM   #15
JRLT
2010 WK 

Here's the one I got for my 2010 3.7.

I see mine is driver's side by the firewall.
JRLT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.