Passenger CV - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 12-17-2011, 03:13 PM Thread Starter
WKChris89
2006 WK 

Passenger CV

I had replaced my driver side CV about two months ago. Went to my mechanic and got it replaced, $250 fully replaced. Now my passenger side needed replacing so i took it back thinking, hey whats another $250. Drop it off and pick it up the next day. The bill was $600 dollars. Apparently they dont make a aftermarket replacement CV nor does the passenger side just come with the CV but the whole axle internal replacement. My buddys dad works for a shop and he checked the local parts store and they said it would cost me $50 bucks for a passenger side CV. This pissed me off to no end so im asking, did i just get totally ripped off by my lifelong mechanic or does the autoparts shop not have a clue what they are talking about?? please someone help!!

06 GC Larado-3.7L, 2" RC lift, 265/70/17 Falken High Country's, 1.5 RC wheel spacers, K&N Filter, PIAA headlights, custom grill, custom scratches
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 12-17-2011, 08:00 PM
TurboDiesel
2008 WK 

that seems ****ed up
would be curious to see what others have to say tho

on my 2005 chrysler 300 i replaced both cv joints for under $250 im pretty sure lol
post #3 of 7 Old 12-17-2011, 08:50 PM
sunrcr69
2005 WK 

Please be more specific. When you say "CV" do you mean the CV joint (inner, outer, or both) CV axle, or CV boot (inner, outer, or both)?
There are 8 seperate parts here that "CV" could mean.
Driver's side:
Outer CV joint, Outer CV boot, CV Axle, Inner CV boot, and Inner CV Joint.
Passenger's side:

And yes, all are independently replacable.

What exactly was relaced on the drivers side two months ago, and what exactly was replaced on the passenger's side the second time?

2005 WK 5.7L Hemi, RC 2" BB + fabrication = 3.5" lift, JK Rubicon Tires & Wheels, 1.25" Spacers, Fabricated Skidplate, Fabricated Recovery Points, Airaid CAI, Superchips, HIDs RED WK Club #10

post #4 of 7 Old 12-18-2011, 12:38 PM
Piepenbrok420
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunrcr69
Please be more specific. When you say "CV" do you mean the CV joint (inner, outer, or both) CV axle, or CV boot (inner, outer, or both)?
There are 8 seperate parts here that "CV" could mean.
Driver's side:
Passenger's side:

And yes, all are independently replacable.

What exactly was relaced on the drivers side two months ago, and what exactly was replaced on the passenger's side the second time?
Hardly anyone replaces those individual parts anymore, its easier and more cost effective to replace the whole assembly. A reman half shaft is $50 L or R from carquest.

Built Not Bought. 2013 JK trailrig. Instagram: @chrispiepenbrok
post #5 of 7 Old 12-18-2011, 12:52 PM
zeds_dead
2005 WK 

Broke my passenger cv installing my lift and installed a new one myself for 90$. Really easy.

Everyday, something new you want to do. Disease of Jeeps.
post #6 of 7 Old 12-18-2011, 02:40 PM
sunrcr69
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piepenbrok420 View Post
Hardly anyone replaces those individual parts anymore, its easier and more cost effective to replace the whole assembly. A reman half shaft is $50 L or R from carquest.
I replace my CV components individually because I can do it myself and the individual parts can be found way cheaper new than a reman half-shaft.

2005 WK 5.7L Hemi, RC 2" BB + fabrication = 3.5" lift, JK Rubicon Tires & Wheels, 1.25" Spacers, Fabricated Skidplate, Fabricated Recovery Points, Airaid CAI, Superchips, HIDs RED WK Club #10
post #7 of 7 Old 12-18-2011, 05:22 PM
Piepenbrok420
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunrcr69 View Post
I replace my CV components individually because I can do it myself and the individual parts can be found way cheaper new than a reman half-shaft.
Yea i replaced my passenger boot when i tore it installing the lift, but for people with limited mechanical experience and tools, replacing the whole thing is a lot easier.

Built Not Bought. 2013 JK trailrig. Instagram: @chrispiepenbrok

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.