Parking Sensor - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Parking Sensor

Labor day sale @ rockridge 4wd! 8/29-9/1 site wide..promo FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 08-30-2007, 09:27 AM   #1
jprcrpr
2012 JK Wrangler 

Parking Sensor

I just purchased an 06 Overland. The audio on the parking sensor does not operate. The LED lights at the rear window function as they should. Does anyone know if there is a plug that may be disconnected or a way the previous owner disabled the audio portion. I suspect they didn't want to hear the sound as I suspect they pulled a trailer. All they had to do was push the disable button on the dash.

Unread 08-30-2007, 02:07 PM   #2
merlinTec

Hi
Not had this but I do know it will only sound when it lights up the red bit. Does all other chimes work like key in, lights on and seat belts? Do you have front park sensors? The chime is part of the dash unit so can’t be unplugged, I will have a look tomorrow to see if I could turn it off with star scan. ( I know the seat belt chime can)
What’s the hand book say?
Regards,
Merlin
Unread 08-30-2007, 06:36 PM   #3
jprcrpr
2012 JK Wrangler 

All of the other chimes work. The manual doesn't address turning on or off the chimes. The Ford I traded had a beeper the increased in intensity as you got closer to the object.
Unread 08-31-2007, 01:40 PM   #4
merlinTec

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACKAL
The Ford I traded had a beeper the increased in intensity as you got closer to the object.
Hi
No yours will not do this, you get nothing on amber lights, a beeping on the first red light then a continuous bleep on the second red. Are you not getting this?
Check on one today couldn’t see anyway to turn it off but can be all test at the dealer.
Hope this helps.
Regards,
Merlin
Unread 08-31-2007, 02:55 PM   #5
vtbert3
2006 WK 

I get beeps on amber... more intense on red...
vtbert3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2007, 03:07 PM   #6
merlinTec

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtbert3
I get beeps on amber... more intense on red...
Hi
Thank you. Wonder if there is a different with US and UK models. I will search some more. Can any one else post what they get.
Regards,
Merlin
Unread 08-31-2007, 03:48 PM   #7
merlinTec

Hi
Well a little confused now found this in the service info under WK (so US) not WH (UK)
Each display provides a visual indication of a detected object by illuminating one or more LED indicators, amber first followed by red, moving toward the center of the display as the vehicle gets closer to the object. As the vehicle comes to within about 40 centimeters (31 inches) of the object, 1 red LED is illuminated and the display emits a series of short, intermittent, audible beeps. If the audio system is turned ON, the audio output will be muted automatically while the park assist audible warning is being generated. The audible warning changes from intermittent beeps to a continuous tone as the final red indicators are illuminated on 1 or both sides of the display and the vehicle comes to within 30.5 centimeters (12 inches) of a detected object.
Can some of the rest of you US drivers help with this? What does yours do?
BLACKAL does your radio cut out when it goes red?
It says the display makes the beeps a first thought I was thinking this was the dash display but don’t think it is now more likely the LED display. Another thing to check into.
Regards,
Merlin
Unread 08-31-2007, 04:23 PM   #8
JWLJeep

Mine beeps as soon as I put in reverse. It will then beep as each set of lights comes on. When it beeps, the radio is muted. For example, I park my car in a small garage. In the morning I turn it on, put it in reverse and it beeps. Then as I pack out and am passing through the opening it will beep continuously even though I am not seeing red lights. I'm just getting closer to the edge of the opening but not close enough for the red lights to come on. About 3 seconds after passing through the beeping will stop. During this time the radio is muted and says so on the display. Mine seems to be very sensitive and beeps all the time. It's much more sensitive (and better, I think) than what I had on my last car, a 04 Cadillac SLS. So, that's what mine does!

2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited with 5.7L Hemi in Bright Silver

Bloomington-Normal, IL
JWLJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2007, 11:41 PM   #9
jprcrpr
2012 JK Wrangler 

Merlin is right. I previously had a Ford that would beep at a much further distance. The amber lights worked all along. I did not back close enough to an object to get the red LED. The beeps became audible at this time and also muted the radio. I stumbled onto WKjeeps.com and read about the parking sensors. The explaination on how they operate is a little better than in the owners manual. So all is normal after all. Thanks to all who posted on my question.
Al
Unread 09-01-2007, 06:44 AM   #10
T-Rated

Mine never beeps until I get within about 3 feet of something. Then beeps more frequently as I get closer. At about a foot, it's a steady tone.

Keep in mind that any beeping also cuts out the stereo audio. Come to think of it, does the beeping come through the stereo speakers, or elsewhere? If it's the stereo, then doesn't an aftermarket radio kill this (beeping) feature?

Jeep: 2006 Midnight Blue Grand Cherokee Limited 4.7L • Bells • Whistles
Mods: Tow Hooks • Mopar & 4xGuard Skid Plates & Rock Rails • Flowmaster 70 • 255/65R17 REVO's
T-Rated is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2007, 10:21 AM   #11
Weissbrewer

funky

My Wifes did not beep when she backed into a mailbox post with 122 miles on the truck(just paint damage to the bumper) but do beep with nothing in back of her occasionally.?!?!?!
Weissbrewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2007, 02:26 PM   #12
merlinTec

Hi
That will be because she drives too fast.
Regards,
Merlin
Unread 09-10-2007, 12:29 PM   #13
Weissbrewer

back up sensor/ park assist is junk

Took the wifes truck to pick up Pizza for the Pats game yesterday, 3 times the park assist goes to red and solid beep in the middle of the parking lot, my driveway & the other lot I was in. The problem is inconsistent & sporadic. It was raining at the time. Very anoying I am going to check for a tsb.
Unread 09-10-2007, 02:33 PM   #14
srtdodge05
2011 MK Patriot 

On my 07 commander it will start to beep when i get about 1ft or loser to a wall or car. I turned the volume off on mine it drove me nuts.
srtdodge05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2007, 09:37 AM   #15
Weissbrewer

This goes off with nothing even near it at 100 feet+!

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.