Parking brakes just wrecked my day.. - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Parking brakes just wrecked my day..

Savvy FREE SHIPPING!Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%Artec Holiday Sale!

Unread 08-23-2014, 11:26 PM   #31
cumminsguy95

That's an absolutely astronomical price for an axle. I just replaced my rear right one for 58 dollars.

cumminsguy95 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-18-2014, 12:16 AM   #32
ChrisWK
2005 WK 

Well I got a parking brake shoe problem too. I just replaced my rear rotors and I got pieces of brake shoe inside the old rotor, I did not know what it was at the time of puting on the new rotors.So it looks like I will be doing parking brake shoe replacement . Can I buy a set at autozone or should I get OEM set?

Thanks
Limited HEMI Dark Khaki Pearl SRT8 Full Body Kit, Roof Rails,SRT8 Engine Strut Bar, Lund Rear Spoiler, MYGIG INSTALLED with LOCKPICK, Kenwood Sub,AFE Intake, Taylor Spark Plug Wires,G2 Silver Painted Brake Calipers, Billet Tech Catch Can, Addco Sway Bars Front and Rear, Eibach Lowering Springs,Xenon Volt HID Lows 6k,Chrome SRT Reps
ChrisWK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-19-2014, 06:33 PM   #33
Tekn0logy
2006 WK 

adding another "me too" post to this thread. :
good God, I thought my 4Runner's brakes were maddening. Pulled the passenger's side rotor and found that the weird noise I heard a week ago was the parking brake pad disintegrating. Almost done and I go to slap in the new pads and I found the caliper piston was cracked. Damn you phenolic piston! Thank goodness Advance Auto had a new $50 off $100 promo. Driver's side rotor took a couple of hours to remove. Sunday burnt all to hell. Not one football game watched.
Tekn0logy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-19-2014, 09:42 PM   #34
ChrisWK
2005 WK 

Is it easy to change the parking brake shoe? How do you adjust the shoe correctly, I do not want to eat the new set up. I have done the rotors and pads before.

Thanks
Limited HEMI Dark Khaki Pearl SRT8 Full Body Kit, Roof Rails,SRT8 Engine Strut Bar, Lund Rear Spoiler, MYGIG INSTALLED with LOCKPICK, Kenwood Sub,AFE Intake, Taylor Spark Plug Wires,G2 Silver Painted Brake Calipers, Billet Tech Catch Can, Addco Sway Bars Front and Rear, Eibach Lowering Springs,Xenon Volt HID Lows 6k,Chrome SRT Reps
Unread 10-24-2014, 09:02 AM   #35
Nejeep

Here is a decent Youtube video for the WK brakes, front, rear and parking. The parking brake starts at the 15 minute mark on the video if you want to jump ahead. As the video shows one of the parking brake springs is a pain to reinstall with the axle in place. Some mechanics recommend pulling the axles to provide more work space. I expect the time spent pulling the axles is about the same as fighting the brake springs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9u4hAOv145I

97 Laredo - 4.0 4x4 Daily driver for 8 years then relocated to Arizona for 6 more years with the relatives
Nejeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-25-2014, 10:08 AM   #36
ChrisWK
2005 WK 

I used that video to change all rotors and pads great video, I got all the springs and brake shoes on 2 hours longer than it took me to change the rotors and pads. Well all back together I pulled the parking brake handle it will not hold the jeep. I am having trouble adjusting star to brake shoes.
Unread 10-27-2014, 05:37 AM   #37
Tekn0logy
2006 WK 

One of the things that I found during the replacement of the parking brakes is that on the 06, there is no adjustment under the rear seat, only a "equalizer". When one spring was detached, the "equalizer" would be cocked to one side, pulling on the cable that did not have a return spring attached. It took me a while to figure this as the actuator was difficult to get hooked back onto the brake cable. If one actuator is detached, I don't think you could get enough force applied to the other side to apply the bake. It would be 1000 times easier to pull the back seat off and see if the equalizer is cocked to one side or if both cables are snug up against the equalizer.
Tekn0logy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-28-2014, 10:38 AM   #38
ChrisWK
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekn0logy View Post
One of the things that I found during the replacement of the parking brakes is that on the 06, there is no adjustment under the rear seat, only a "equalizer". When one spring was detached, the "equalizer" would be cocked to one side, pulling on the cable that did not have a return spring attached. It took me a while to figure this as the actuator was difficult to get hooked back onto the brake cable. If one actuator is detached, I don't think you could get enough force applied to the other side to apply the bake. It would be 1000 times easier to pull the back seat off and see if the equalizer is cocked to one side or if both cables are snug up against the equalizer.
I just finish moving the adjuster star and still no luck, when I did the shoe install the driver side I kept the actuator together and pulled the shoes off, then when on the pass side the actuator fell out could not get it to hook on the wire so got all the shoes and springs back on like the other side thought it would catch the wire,once I made the adjustments, I guess that is why the adjustment are not working right. Well I am done with this **** taking it to mechanic. This is the hardest thing I have had to work on my jeep .Thanks for the help.
Unread 10-29-2014, 04:56 PM   #39
ChrisWK
2005 WK 

Well I took it to a mechanic and he is still working on it keeping jeep over night. Harder than he thought it was going to be I guess.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.