Parking brakes just wrecked my day.. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Parking brakes just wrecked my day..

New For October! Flowmaster Black Ceramic Coated 304S ExhaNew For October! Flowmaster Black Ceramic Coated 304S ExhaNew For October! Flowmaster Black Ceramic Coated 304S Exha

Unread 03-03-2010, 05:21 PM   #1
who8myrice

Parking brakes just wrecked my day..

So were driving on the highway, hit a pothole and all the sudden theres an extremely loud noise coming from the rear-left wheel. We pull over, assuming its a flat tire, but nothing. The car seems to drive alright, but we decide to pull off the highway and take it to a service station just to be sure. Of course, on the way there it gets increasingly worse until finally theres a loud "thud," followed by the ABS and traction control warning lights on the dashboard.

Basically, the rear-left parking brake broke loose and started getting totally chewed up by the wheel/rotor. In the end, i need to replace both parking brakes, both back rotors, both brake pads (to keep thing even), and the rear-left axle. The reason the axle needs to be replaced is because when the parking brake broke loose, it scored the ABS notches on the axle.

However, a local mechanic thinks it "may" simply be the ABS sensor got destroyed, which is why the light came on. Is this a likely scenario? Id rather pay $50 for a new sensor than $328 for a new axle..

Has anyone ever heard of this happening before?

All in all, $1000 down the drain. Ironically, it has been looked at/inspected/serviced 3 times in the past year, and they still missed it.

Sorry that was so long... needed to vent

who8myrice is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-03-2010, 06:19 PM   #2
Texas WJ
Web Wheeler

2005 WK 

I'd get a second opinion before dropping that much cash. How far is it to your local mechanic?
Unread 03-03-2010, 06:27 PM   #3
who8myrice

This is the second opinion, the first one came from the guy at Pep Boys who removed the parking brake so we could continue on our trip. The mechanic i plan on using is less than 5 minutes from my house, so its very convenient.
who8myrice is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-03-2010, 06:52 PM   #4
maxst2
2006 WK 

I'd bust some balls on those that inspected it and have them pay the bill.
maxst2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-03-2010, 08:38 PM   #5
brutusjeep
2006 WK 

Wow, had no idea so much could happen from a parking brake. I know while going over a long stretch of "wash board" dirts roads I had one of the parking brakes pop off the rubber holder (not sure what it is called) and thrashed against my drive shaft for about a mile and a half last year. Luckily I had enough stuff in the truck to tie it back up and make it home. Zip ties now hold it firmly in place.
2006 GC Limited, 5.7L HEMI, Quad II. 4XGUARD Belly & Front (black powder coat) skid plates. Matrix front guard, PIAA Matrix mounted lights, 265/70 Nitto Trail Graplers MT, 1.5" Spider Trax spacers, Super Chips Tuner, OME MD Lift, 4XGUARD differential guard, JBA UCA'S.

Last edited by brutusjeep; 03-04-2010 at 09:04 PM..
brutusjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-04-2010, 07:36 AM   #6
meep
2008 WK 

do you mean the parking brake CABLE? The brake itself is inside the drum.
meep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-04-2010, 10:11 AM   #7
05WKinPA
2005 WK 

I had something very similar happen to me about 2 months ago. Driving along, hit a bump and hear a loud screeching from my right rear wheel. I pull over on a very busy highway, but don't see anything obvious. Get back in and drive it on the shoulder to the next exit and then I hear a boom, and a loud thud, like something just let go and hit the bottom of the Jeep....no more noise. Took it to the shop and they said pieces of metal literally fell on the ground when they took the rear brake apart. Parking brake self destructed. They said it looked like I drove with the parking brake on...which I never did....it just basically seized up and finally broke entirely. 500.00 later I have my parking brake again.
Unread 03-04-2010, 12:44 PM   #8
maxst2
2006 WK 

rears are disc brakes
Unread 03-04-2010, 01:12 PM   #9
robpp

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxst2 View Post
rears are disc brakes
yes the rear brakes are discs,

BUT

the back side of the disc is machined into a DRUM. thats where the p brake shoes live.
Rob 007 Laredo 4.7 FFV 27X; DeBadg'd; Zaino'd; SRT8 Grill, Pedals, Strut; ClearBra; WeatherTech; LED Reverse; HIR Hi/Lo; SS Fog; Stealth Turns; 15% Tint; Stubbie; Rear Spoiler; Magnaflow; V1; 22Elite Console/Visors; Body Kit; Color Match Everything; TintedTails; K&N 63; Front Skid; QuickOilDrainValve; BatteryTender; SuperChips 91; Bilstein; Billet Window Switches; Greasable Addco Sways; RamMedic Hood; Fastman TB; BWoody Links; Kicker Upgrade w/Single Sub; AVIC F90BT Hacked; NeffyWrap ABCD; Putco LEDs; Viper 20s w/255/50; R1 Slot/Dimple w/Hawk Pro Ceramic; Whistler Mod w/FlashTech Halos
robpp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-04-2010, 03:12 PM   #10
maxst2
2006 WK 

oh snap really? I never really looked into it. That kinda an odd engineering bit i have to say so myself.
Unread 03-04-2010, 04:17 PM   #11
robpp

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxst2 View Post
oh snap really? I never really looked into it. That kinda an odd engineering bit i have to say so myself.
call it what you will......i just did rotors so I can assure you thats the way it is.
Rob 007 Laredo 4.7 FFV 27X; DeBadg'd; Zaino'd; SRT8 Grill, Pedals, Strut; ClearBra; WeatherTech; LED Reverse; HIR Hi/Lo; SS Fog; Stealth Turns; 15% Tint; Stubbie; Rear Spoiler; Magnaflow; V1; 22Elite Console/Visors; Body Kit; Color Match Everything; TintedTails; K&N 63; Front Skid; QuickOilDrainValve; BatteryTender; SuperChips 91; Bilstein; Billet Window Switches; Greasable Addco Sways; RamMedic Hood; Fastman TB; BWoody Links; Kicker Upgrade w/Single Sub; AVIC F90BT Hacked; NeffyWrap ABCD; Putco LEDs; Viper 20s w/255/50; R1 Slot/Dimple w/Hawk Pro Ceramic; Whistler Mod w/FlashTech Halos
robpp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-04-2010, 09:07 PM   #12
brutusjeep
2006 WK 

Yes it was my CABLE that almost snapped. I guess I was lucky to not have it go the wrong way.

I think most newer vehicles have the "drum" parking brakes in the rear now. Subaru's are the same way.
2006 GC Limited, 5.7L HEMI, Quad II. 4XGUARD Belly & Front (black powder coat) skid plates. Matrix front guard, PIAA Matrix mounted lights, 265/70 Nitto Trail Graplers MT, 1.5" Spider Trax spacers, Super Chips Tuner, OME MD Lift, 4XGUARD differential guard, JBA UCA'S.
brutusjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-04-2010, 09:59 PM   #13
maxst2
2006 WK 

fancy that...
Unread 03-06-2010, 06:21 AM   #14
rocks00tj
2005 WK 

had similar problem with my parking brake.wife was to go on a day trip.i went to go to the car wash in the morning .put jeep in gear and BANG.i thought the axle snapped. no guts underneath so i tried again. grinding banging etc. turns out the springs that hold the shoes in the drum for the park brake just got tired from not being used and caused the shoes to flop around. $500 later. good thing it happened in the morning in my driveway and not at 110 km/h on the highway, or 2 hours away.
rocks00tj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-09-2010, 05:50 PM   #15
kw1984
2005 WK 

Well I am another one to add to the statistics... Maybe it's some sort of design fault that is going to become a common problem?

My Jeep was parked up for 2 weeks while I was on holiday.

When I returned, started her up, put in R to back off the drive and BANG. Gave it some gas and it wouldn't move. Put it in D, travelled about a foot and BANG, Jeep stops dead.

I did this a few times backwards and forwards and eventually backed the Jeep off the drive.

Now, I have no park brake. The lever pulls up about 2 feet and when I'm driving all off a sudden I get a load of rattling and then it dissapears.

God knows what damage is lurking inside the drums. I should really stop driving it.

It sounds the same as already said, that the shoes in the park brake have come off or been stuck on or something and have now disintegrated.

All happened on Sunday 7th March. A search came up with this thread.

Are these rear rotors/drums easy to get off so I can inspect the damage?

Thanks
kw1984 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.