Painting Underside - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Painting Underside

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 10-04-2013, 03:44 PM   #1
DarthJeep
2005 WK 

Painting Underside

I've seen a few guys take off the rust and paint the underside. Just curious for anybody that has done it, what method did you use? Wire brush and light sander?

Unread 10-04-2013, 04:03 PM   #2
JeepN4KC
Keep on Jeepin on........

Yep. Wire brush, sand paper, wire wheel on a grinder - whatever you want.

Works great:

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
Sept 2013 Cherokee of the Month
'07 WK with some other stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
'11 KK with mostly stock stuff
'06WK our first Jeep with stock stuff - totalled and gone
JeepN4KC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2013, 04:18 PM   #3
tineyhairs
1975 CJ5 

i started by using a torch at a low setting and warming the undercoating. using a putty knife i scraped all that off. then went back over it with a wire wheel to get the rest. then i por-15 everything, i mean everything. it is self leveling so when dry looks like it was sprayed on. did the engine bay area the same way. a lot of work but, when completed you will be glad you did it. sorry i have no pics. they all went with the new owner as proof of what was done. best way to document your restoration job is with pics. they don't lie.
tineyhairs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2013, 07:57 AM   #4
XK1982
2006 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthJeep View Post
I've seen a few guys take off the rust and paint the underside. Just curious for anybody that has done it, what method did you use? Wire brush and light sander?
I just did mine over the weekend. Mainly used a wire wheel on an angle grinder and cleaned with a painter prep. I used all Eastwood brand paint. Did the whole inside of the unibody w/ eastwood internal frame coating, really nice product w an extension hose to get in all hard to reach places. Then I used eastwood rust encapsulator on the outside areas. Dropped the spare tire and did all up I'm there too. Highly recommend if you're looking for a good product that lasts!
Unread 10-07-2013, 08:10 AM   #5
DarthJeep
2005 WK 

Thanks guys, I think this is my Fall project. Should I look at any specific type of heat resistant paint?

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.