P41 Safety Recall - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > P41 Safety Recall

WIN a Rough Country Forged Track Bar - ExtremeTerrain!FREE, FREE, FREE EVENT!! Save big on Lockers now till ApriJKS Grand Cherokee WJ, Adjustable Front Trackbar 1"-6

Unread 10-21-2015, 08:48 AM   #1
fetterjohn

P41 Safety Recall

"The ignition switch on your vehicle may experience an unintended change in ignition switch position while driving. This may result in..."

Says they need to replace the ignition switch and lock cylinder.

Have any of you received this yet? Called the dealer? Has it been easy?

fetterjohn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-21-2015, 10:46 AM   #2
SilverLimited
2005 WK 

Had the P41 completed this morning

I just had this P41 recalled completed this morning. First the parts are finally becoming available at the dealerships. The recall kit has 3 parts, 1)cylinder-ignition lock, 2) switch-ignition, and 3) Label - Push to turn key.

Dealer had the work completed in just under 1 hour. They change out the two hardware components listed above and affix a small sticker label adjacent to the switch that reminds you to Push the key in when turning the key to the OFF position. The write up tech told me if you don't push the key in when turning it to ACC or OFF position then pull the key the horn alarm will sound. I found this to be impossible due to the way the cylinder locking mechanism operates, you physically cannot turn the key from ON to ACC or OFF without pushing the key in with some effort, and maintaining the pressure while turning the key counter-clockwise. They do not replace any keys or fobs. The new cylinder is very tight and you can feel the key locking mechanism when starting the Jeep. I suspect over time it will free up somewhat. The push key in to turn off requirement will be interesting until it becomes second nature.

UPDATE and Pic
I tried to get the alarm/horn to go off based on what the service write up guys told me this morning, see above. I could NOT get the horn to sound and think its physically impossible due to the way the new locking cylinder operates. I think the reason why is when you get the key to ON position the cylinder lock mechanism pops outward and locks the key in the ON/Start position. They put a pretty solid spring into the ignition locking mechanism. The key cannot be turned back from ON to ACC, or OFF without pushing the key in, maintaining the pressure then turning to ACC, or OFF. The cylinder lock releases once the key is moved past the ON position toward ACC and OFF. I'll be pulling that goofy sticker off very soon!

Hope this helps.
new-igntion-switch-1a.jpg  
00 XJ Cherokee-gone
SilverLimited is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-21-2015, 10:50 AM   #3
Luke4010
1997 ZJ 

If you could also attach a picture that would be great.
Luke4010 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-21-2015, 11:06 AM   #4
road_tripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverLimited View Post
They told me if you don't push it in when turning it to OFF and then pull the key the horn alarm will sound.
if this is true, then it is different behavior and implies additional programming (probably to the front control module).

we all know the skill level of the programmers and 'fix solutionators' they assign to work on recall issues... anyone remember N73?

I think I'll pass for now and let the next owner deal with this mess.
road_tripper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-21-2015, 11:30 AM   #5
SilverLimited
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by road_tripper View Post
if this is true, then it is different behavior and implies additional programming (probably to the front control module).

we all know the skill level of the programmers and 'fix solutionators' they assign to work on recall issues... anyone remember N73?

I think I'll pass for now and let the next owner deal with this mess.
See my updated original post. I could not get the horn to sound as the dealership guys cautioned me. The operation of the new switch prohibits you from turning the engine off until you depress the key, hold it in and then move it to ACC or OFF.
00 XJ Cherokee-gone
Unread 10-21-2015, 12:28 PM   #6
fetterjohn

Thank you Silverlimited...I scheduled an appointment for next month...said they were booked for it until then. They also said I will need to leave it with them all day. I can have something else done then...
fetterjohn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-21-2015, 12:31 PM   #7
colinzj
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverLimited View Post
See my updated original post. I could not get the horn to sound as the dealership guys cautioned me. The operation of the new switch prohibits you from turning the engine off until you depress the key, hold it in and then move it to ACC or OFF.
Yeah, I dunno what they're smoking at your dealer. This is literally a hard parts swap, no software involved, and it's physically impossible to turn the key without pushing. (That being, y'know, the entire point of the recall.) Easy peasy.

That being said, mine's headed back to the dealer: My old crappy worn keys (i.e. the spare I provided them) work fine, but my good newer key binds up. So either Chrysler's pins are really close in length and the tech chose poorly when coding the cylinder, or they're using something like Kwikset's SmartKey system to speed up the recall work. (SmartKey behaves exactly this way if you code with a worn key and then try to use a new key.)

I guess the takeaway from my experience is "give them your best key."
Unread 10-21-2015, 05:14 PM   #8
tom19511
2006 WK 

Got mine done today also.
2007 Liberty Sport 3.7
tom19511 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-21-2015, 10:31 PM   #9
CavallinoRed
2006 WK 

Would be totally bogus if the alarm sounds if you don't remove the key correctly. Be interested to know if this is really true.

And SilverLimited you are so right about the sticker. Amazing stupid! And thanks for the post...most helpful.
CavallinoRed is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-22-2015, 07:51 AM   #10
GregK340
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by colinzj View Post
I guess the takeaway from my experience is "give them your best key."
Thanks, good to know!
GregK340 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-22-2015, 05:10 PM   #11
CavallinoRed
2006 WK 

Sounds like it would be a good idea to take in all your keys to make sure they work after.
CavallinoRed is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-23-2015, 05:39 AM   #12
leftoverture
2007 WK 

For those of you who have had P41 done, did they also do P73 when you brought it in? Does your 4-lo still work?
Unread 10-23-2015, 08:13 AM   #13
Swim3600
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftoverture View Post
For those of you who have had P41 done, did they also do P73 when you brought it in? Does your 4-lo still work?
The Jeep dealerships around me have all said that they are "required" to complete any outstanding federal recall whether you want them to or not which is why I have not taken mine in.

P.S. Love the 2A sig line
Swim3600 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-23-2015, 11:29 AM   #14
SilverLimited
2005 WK 

Quote:
My 2005 had the P73 recall completed on 6/25/15. I tested it again this morning, 6000 miles to date and all is well.

The P41 recall was completed on 10/21/15 this week. I tested all 3 of my keys (2 key/fobs, and 1 spare ignition key) all keys work. Slowly getting used to the push key in to turn off procedure.
00 XJ Cherokee-gone
Unread 10-23-2015, 11:44 AM   #15
Chirpz
2007 WK 

Quote:
Thats a really good question. I have only been to the dealer a few times and hesitate to go again for anything. On each trip, they quizzed me about N23 (P73 not available at the time) and I had to remember to decline and also hung a warning sign on the computer port.
EHM MOD, Garmin Mechanic EcoHD, K&N Filter (Deleted)
Chirpz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.