P0884 code and stalling.. - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 10-18-2011, 09:38 PM Thread Starter
YJinMN
2007 WK 

P0884 code and stalling..

Hey folks,

Here's the skinny:

07 Overland, 5.7, 545RFE. Jeep is stalling for very short periods of time when warm.. So predictably that it seems to happen at the same place on the way to work.. Sometimes it will actually catch itself and come back up to idle.. Speed, throttle position, braking seem to be inconsequential. Throwing a P0884 code, and web searches and WKJeeps.com are spotty at best. This seems to be associated with the TCM, but I took it to the dealership and they wanted to replace my ignition switch.. Does this make sense?

60k service just completed, but this issue was previous to the fluid changes..

Could I have bumped a wire in that fuse/relay block on the drivers side (while changing the plugs) and irritated this? It seems to be happening more frequently after the service..

Thanks guys, would like to put this issue to bed, but as we all know you can mis-diagnose these vehicles right into the poor house..

M.P.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 10-18-2011, 10:50 PM
t3kmitch
2005 WK 

I haven't followed this thread at all but it looks like it may have all the answers (or more questions) you need.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/2...oblem-1147825/

Get ready to read... there's 10 pages of 40 posts each.

-Sold 3/13. Replaced by 2010 VW Jetta 2.5-
2005 WK 3.7L Laredo. RC 2", 265 70 17 Bridgestone Dueler Revo 2's. Class III OEM hitch added. Bilstein Struts. Monroe Load Levelers (58643).
Blue WK Club Member #32
post #3 of 14 Old 10-18-2011, 11:15 PM
Ryno622
2004 LJ Wrangler 

From reading through the code description and the diag procedures it seems the code is set by the TCM, but it is not due to the TCM.
Basically it is saying that the trans control system lost power,then had it restored while the shifter was in drive, and the vehicle was going more than 20mph. Diag flow chart recommends checking all the fused B+, fused ignition switch outputs, and ground circuits to the PCM for intermittent shorts to ground or opens.
long story short, the ignition switch is not outside the realm of possibility.

post #4 of 14 Old 10-19-2011, 08:13 AM Thread Starter
YJinMN
2007 WK 

Man, I hope this is not the wiring harness.. I am going to clean all connections and check to make sure that everything is in place. Just looked into that other thread.. What a dismal saga.. And I have the SAME vehicle, year and make.. Hmmm I'll post back my progress..

M.P.
post #5 of 14 Old 10-19-2011, 09:36 PM Thread Starter
YJinMN
2007 WK 

Ok-

I got the Jeep fired up and out on the highway. Jeep ran great until it got fully warm, and then the dying started. I banged on the fuse boxes and wiggled the wiring harnesses and could not replicate it. It would run at idle for about 1 minute and then die, regardless what I was tugging or tapping on.. It also threw a P0129 code.. Great.. Any Idea where I should looking now?

Thanks again!

Mike
post #6 of 14 Old 10-20-2011, 05:47 PM Thread Starter
YJinMN
2007 WK 

UPDATE!

Saw a post about cleaning the Throttle Body.. Decided to take a look in there to see how bad it was and noticed that the wiring harness sheath looked a little beat up right by the plug. Inspected, and hark, a wire with the sheath split off. Not sure if it was arcing, but I repaired it anyway. Throttle body was FILTHY- I now see why you guys are preaching catch pans.. With that said I cleaned it up, used TB cleaner but did not spray it on the TB, just on the rag. I know they say that these things are not "serviceable", but that shouldn't be confused with "cleanable".. It needed it..

Can't get it to stall. Most of my stalls were at idle (or close to idle), always happened when warm, and went dead like I turned off the key. I am still registering the P0884 code, but the P0129 code is gone and after 45 minutes of idling it wont stall. This is comparing to stalling every 30 seconds to 1 minute when warm.

Here's the pics (sorry about the size), and I will keep you updated..

MP
Attached Thumbnails
DSCF9510.jpg   DSCF9513.jpg   DSCF9515.jpg   DSCF9518.jpg  
post #7 of 14 Old 11-23-2011, 03:31 PM
quadrille

Hello New to fourm

I have the same issue 2007 Hemi Overland Grand Chrokee with 45,000 miles stalled twice both time sitting at a traffic light. Warmed up nice day no rain got the P0884 code I will take it to the shop on monday. Any updates would be appriciated.

Thanks
post #8 of 14 Old 11-24-2011, 02:45 PM Thread Starter
YJinMN
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadrille
I have the same issue 2007 Hemi Overland Grand Chrokee with 45,000 miles stalled twice both time sitting at a traffic light. Warmed up nice day no rain got the P0884 code I will take it to the shop on monday. Any updates would be appriciated.

Thanks
I am almost positive that you need to reroute the wiring harness.. I thought I fixed it but it started again.. I had the dealership reroute the harness and it runs great now.. see the above link on the 07 Overland stalling post.. I posted pics there.. Good luck and Happy Thanksgiving..
post #9 of 14 Old 12-03-2011, 05:26 AM
quadrille

Re routed the harness so far 500 mi ok
post #10 of 14 Old 12-18-2012, 06:26 PM
jeeptjrn
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I have
post #11 of 14 Old 12-18-2012, 06:33 PM
jeeptjrn
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Oops. I mean I have a 2005 tj and had a p0884 code come up today. I will try the things listed here and hopefully have some luck.
post #12 of 14 Old 01-15-2013, 08:22 PM
ChuckToo
2007 WJ 

P0884

All 55 pages, what a mystery novel. I've caused the "Stall Virus". My A/C would not cool at idle, no increase in RPM when A/C turned on. Bad VIAC. I'm a Hot Rodder, go fast type of guy. I install the BBK 85mm throttle body, then the MSD coils, E3 plugs, EGR and IAT sensor. Just because. 100,000 miles no trouble until this change. I floor the Hemi and it starts to fly, pulls the front end way up, then falls flat on its face. Started stalling everywhere anytime. Every time I floor it, it stalls (RPM's zero) then comes back to life, Normal driving stalls, needs key start. I put it in 1 st gear floor it, it stalls, comes back to life and is in "D". Added the foil both sides put a ground to it, lifted the harness way up, new PCM. Tried it with the Tow on and the Traction off - same thing. I'm going to install new Copper tip plugs and 8 new stock coils. Got some great software called AutoEnginuity just like StarScan, relearned and reset everything. Same problem. Just P0884 code. Put old TB on same problem. I am working on a computer now not a car, with this spike/EMI/RFI/ground ****oky. Will post results. Worst case for me is I will put a distributor, coil and dual quad manifold on this thing. I sure can't sell it the way it runs. Yes, the aftermarket makes the parts to do this. I'm am going to try the gas cap off and the crank case sensor and wire. CAN ANYBODY ESLE MAKE THIS HAPPEN A WILL, LIKE I CAN???????????? FLOOR IT!!!!!!!!!!
post #13 of 14 Old 01-30-2016, 09:10 PM
vjsimone
2008 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckToo View Post
All 55 pages, what a mystery novel. I've caused the "Stall Virus". My A/C would not cool at idle, no increase in RPM when A/C turned on. Bad VIAC. I'm a Hot Rodder, go fast type of guy. I install the BBK 85mm throttle body, then the MSD coils, E3 plugs, EGR and IAT sensor. Just because. 100,000 miles no trouble until this change. I floor the Hemi and it starts to fly, pulls the front end way up, then falls flat on its face. Started stalling everywhere anytime. Every time I floor it, it stalls (RPM's zero) then comes back to life, Normal driving stalls, needs key start. I put it in 1 st gear floor it, it stalls, comes back to life and is in "D". Added the foil both sides put a ground to it, lifted the harness way up, new PCM. Tried it with the Tow on and the Traction off - same thing. I'm going to install new Copper tip plugs and 8 new stock coils. Got some great software called AutoEnginuity just like StarScan, relearned and reset everything. Same problem. Just P0884 code. Put old TB on same problem. I am working on a computer now not a car, with this spike/EMI/RFI/ground ****oky. Will post results. Worst case for me is I will put a distributor, coil and dual quad manifold on this thing. I sure can't sell it the way it runs. Yes, the aftermarket makes the parts to do this. I'm am going to try the gas cap off and the crank case sensor and wire. CAN ANYBODY ESLE MAKE THIS HAPPEN A WILL, LIKE I CAN???????????? FLOOR IT!!!!!!!!!!
Did you get it fixed??

Vincent

99 XJ Limited, 95 YJ, 93 ZJ Grand Wagoneer, 88 Grand Wagoneer,
88 MJ Comanche, 61 Willys Wagon
post #14 of 14 Old 07-11-2017, 09:04 AM
JonGoudy

Where did the dealer reroute the wiring harness? can you post a picture by chance?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.