P0524 - Engine oil pressure too low (2007, 5.7L) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > P0524 - Engine oil pressure too low (2007, 5.7L)

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Unread 05-13-2013, 06:49 PM   #1
airbag22

P0524 - Engine oil pressure too low (2007, 5.7L)

07 Overland
5.7L

Shortly after I bought my Jeep, my CEL came on throwing P0524. After reading online, it was mentioned that the incorrect oil weight can cause this, and looking at the maintenance sticker i noticed that the weight was incorrect according to the manual. Te previous owner also said it was a synthetic oil that was used. According to Carfax the oil pressure sensor was replaced at 80k, 10k before I purchased it.

Experimenting around, I would clear the code with my code scanner and it would typically come back within 24 hours (usually during a time of idle, but I don't think that has anything to do with it).

So I waited until I needed a change (oil was fresh when i bought it). Took it directly to the dealer to have it done. I got it changed 2 weeks ago and the light went away and stayed away for the 2 weeks. Today, I was in the drive through and the light came back on. I did the key diagnostics and sure enough it was another P0524.

It runs fine and has plenty of power while the CEL isn't on. I don't drive it very hard either but lots of city driving. I am aware the the HEMI has a 'ticking' thats supposedly typical, and mine has that occasionally. Problem is that I cannot tell abnormal engine sounds from normal since i have only owned it a couple months. there are sounds in there that sound like vibrations but it sounds more like a wiring loom or something like that. there is ticking occasionally though.

Any ideas? is it possible I have another bad oil pressure sensor?

airbag22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-13-2013, 06:53 PM   #2
airbag22

UPDATE:

I found this: http://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen-...00-hemi-3.html

How do I know what FW I have? furthermore, is it easy to bring this to the dealer? im worried they'll start doing some invasive fixes instead of the TSB.
Unread 05-13-2013, 07:10 PM   #3
WieSeL

The Chrysler oil pressure switches go out all the time. I had to.swap mine last month. They are the 3 wire sensor for the 5.7 and are around $40-50
WieSeL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-13-2013, 07:16 PM   #4
airbag22

so these switches can go out within 15k? everything I have read online, no one has replaced a pump or had valve train issues. I'm assuming the oil systems in these things are reliable? do you think its something i can wait a couple weeks to do? time and $ is an issue right now since I am working non stop and moving across town.
Unread 05-13-2013, 07:29 PM   #5
WieSeL

15k? Is it a wk2? Yeah your best bet is the oil pressure switch. It can wait but I would change.it sooner than later. Is it under warranty?
Unread 05-13-2013, 07:29 PM   #6
WieSeL

Oh I see an 07. So wk...
Unread 05-13-2013, 07:30 PM   #7
WieSeL

Your oil pressure is determined by bearing clearance mostly...
Unread 05-13-2013, 08:11 PM   #8
airbag22

Cool. So I'm not very knowledgable on the motor but eager to learn. What exactly are you saying about the bearing clearence?

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
Unread 05-13-2013, 08:24 PM   #9
WieSeL

Oil pressure is mostly determined by bearing clearance. The clearances get larger and the oil isn't forced or squeezed though the bearing and pressure is there for lower. Pumps rarely go bad because it's a basic mechanical device and ran by the crankshaft and always lubricated. The pressure switches go bad often especially on a Chrysler. Some manufacturers have there own pitfalls. A car came into my shop today with a spun rod bearing and it made the low oil.pressure light come on, hence bearing clearance affecting oil pressure
Unread 05-13-2013, 09:53 PM   #10
90grandoneer
2006 WK 

If the previously replaced oil pressure sensor was an aftermarket, as said above, it could very likely be bad, especially if it's made in China. Get one from Chrysler just to make sure it's a "slightly" better quality.....you hope. I bought one for my Hemi LX from the stealer after getting the same light. Only got it once or twice and never did change the sensor. Have the new one still sitting on the shelf, just in case. Apparently there is more than one listed too, as they wanted to know the VIN number so they could make sure I got the right one. I can also monitor oil pressure with my DashHawk and have one screen set up for oil pressure, module voltage (charging system), coolant temp. and trans. oil temp. Oil pressure normally runs from ~23-57 PSI (when warm) on both my Hemi's. Cruising at ~65 mph it's normally between 45-50 PSI.
06 GCO, Dk Khaki, QDII, Flshing Hi 3rd Bk Lt, MDS "ON" Lt, Airtab Vortex Gens, Debadged, Fumoto Drain Valve, BT Catch Can, Chopped EGR Tube, SRT8 CAI, K&N Filter, Sonnax Trans Line Press Booster, SC Tuner W/Adv Trans Tune App, DS Tuner, Cust tubular hdrs w/3 in Magnaflow/Xlerator AP Exh Sys, Bilsteins, SRT Springs/Sways, Cust Eng Cvr, SRT8 frt/rear bumpers, FRI Sidewinder Cam/6.1 valvetrain, SLP 25% UD Pulley, BBK true 90mm T-Body, SOS Ign Coils w/.060 spark plug gaps, SRT Reps with 265/45&295/40X20's.
90grandoneer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-20-2013, 02:41 AM   #11
jfish01

I just resolve this issue on my 2007 5.7L Hemi. After receiving that fault code a few times I took my car to a Chrysler (jeep) certified mechanic. Within 5 minutes you figured it out. My vehicle need a software update.

I guess that code is relatively common. Nevertheless, after the software update I have not had that fault code come back!

James
jfish01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-08-2013, 04:28 PM   #12
airbag22

If anyones wondering, after having my 2nd oil change since ownership the light seems to have gone away for good. The light came back for a day and turned off on its own, but no CEL since. The last known time it had the wrong oil weight was immediately before I bought it. Maybe it needed a couple changes with the right weight..
Unread 03-14-2014, 10:57 PM   #13
airbag22

Light still makes an appearance occasionally but pretty much off for the most part.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.