P0430 code at 28k - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > P0430 code at 28k

ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Savvy FREE SHIPPING!Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Unread 01-27-2014, 11:04 PM   #1
Laxxer
2008 WK 

P0430 code at 28k

Hey guys,

So I've been reading previous threads about this code, and how it could be any of these:

Exhaust leak
 Engine mechanical condition
 Aging O2 sensor
 Catalytic converter

My last service the guy said it could just be because of the extreme cold weather and reset it. It was off for about a week, and then turned back on. I am just curious as to what this could be since it's kind of odd to me that this happens at ~28k miles. Also, I had the Gibson cat back exhaust put in a couple of months ago and wondering if that could be the cause of a possible leak setting it off? I don't own any diagnostics equipment and I'd prefer to avoid spending $115 just to get it looked at. Just trying to get an expert opinion on here since the miles are so low. Thanks!

Unread 01-28-2014, 08:51 AM   #2
Walt
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laxxer View Post
Hey guys,

So I've been reading previous threads about this code, and how it could be any of these:

Exhaust leak
 Engine mechanical condition
 Aging O2 sensor
 Catalytic converter

My last service the guy said it could just be because of the extreme cold weather and reset it. It was off for about a week, and then turned back on. I am just curious as to what this could be since it's kind of odd to me that this happens at ~28k miles. Also, I had the Gibson cat back exhaust put in a couple of months ago and wondering if that could be the cause of a possible leak setting it off? I don't own any diagnostics equipment and I'd prefer to avoid spending $115 just to get it looked at. Just trying to get an expert opinion on here since the miles are so low. Thanks!
Got that code when the exhaust manifold-to-Y Pipe joints were leaking. Very small leaks, but it was enough to set off the DTC when the engine was cold. Stores like Auto Zone and Advance Auto will let you borrow a code reader so you can confirm your suspicions (and clear them if you want).
You would likely get other DTC's if the O2 sensors or other engine components were misbehaving.
HEMI CLUB MEMBER #45; SILVER WK CLUB MEMBER #13
'08 WK GC Limited. 5.7L HEMI. Quadra-Trac II. Bright Silver Metallic. Class IV hitch.
Michelin LTX M/S tires. Fumoto oil drain valve. Billet Technology oil catch can.
Walt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-28-2014, 09:13 AM   #3
yzjwk
2005 WK 

I agree with Walt that it could be a small exhaust leak that shows itself when cold , but i tend to disagree that you would have other DTC's if it were the O2 itself because really you have a vehicle that has only been driven 28k in 6yrs! that's hard on items like spark plugs and o2 sensors and the like that depend on heat to self clean . Unless of course alot of those 28k miles were long vacation runs .
the upstream sesor could have just slowed down a little to set this dtc , there's really not that much too it .
I also disagree with the "quicky lube dude" telling you that this DTC could be set by the extreme cold . if he is trying to pass himself off as a technician , i personally wouldn't go back to where ever he is .

If it's cold out , exhaust leaks are pretty easy to find . just lay under the vehicle and look at all your joints and manifold while someone starts the vehicle and let it warm for a few min . the smoke will show you the way .
If you don't see any smoke puffing and you don't want to spend money for a smoke test ,( i wouldn't either ) then i would just change the upstream o2 with a new mopar unit and be done with it .
But i still wouldn't go back that place to have it done . if you can literally turn a wrench , go out and buy an o2 sensor socket and get er done .
Good luck
2010 MK Patriot
yzjwk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-28-2014, 10:31 AM   #4
Laxxer
2008 WK 

I'll definitely check for leaks once it gets above zero again, if that ever happens. I can definitely replace an o2 sensor, which I hope that's all it is, I miss my remote start in times like these! I actually bought this about 8 months ago and it had 22k on it, I don't think the older guy drove it anywhere too far. And yeah, the guy at Midas definitely didn't give me too much info one what it could be and really wanted me to have a diagnostics run, but being just out of college I think that $115 could go to a better cause. I appreciate the feedback guys, thanks!
Unread 01-28-2014, 10:54 AM   #5
yzjwk
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laxxer View Post
I'll definitely check for leaks once it gets above zero again, if that ever happens. I can definitely replace an o2 sensor, which I hope that's all it is, I miss my remote start in times like these! I actually bought this about 8 months ago and it had 22k on it, I don't think the older guy drove it anywhere too far. And yeah, the guy at Midas definitely didn't give me too much info one what it could be and really wanted me to have a diagnostics run, but being just out of college I think that $115 could go to a better cause. I appreciate the feedback guys, thanks!
Sounds like you got a great deal anyways . i love those garage finds .
one thing you could try if you haven't already is take it on a good road trip . I'd say at least 2-3 hours away .Drive casually on the way out, let the engine and exhaust heat up nice and bake a little then drive it back like you stole it ! lol well not really but do a couple WOT runs , stomp it to pass some people , enjoy your new exhaust . THat should help blow any carbon build up
out , clean the o2 sensors and catalytic converters and help seat the new exhaust . THose cats are probably getting pretty gummed up by now , especially on a cold climate vehicle driven for short winter trips .
2010 MK Patriot
yzjwk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-28-2014, 07:27 PM   #6
Laxxer
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by yzjwk View Post
Sounds like you got a great deal anyways . i love those garage finds .
one thing you could try if you haven't already is take it on a good road trip . I'd say at least 2-3 hours away .Drive casually on the way out, let the engine and exhaust heat up nice and bake a little then drive it back like you stole it ! lol well not really but do a couple WOT runs , stomp it to pass some people , enjoy your new exhaust . THat should help blow any carbon build up
out , clean the o2 sensors and catalytic converters and help seat the new exhaust . THose cats are probably getting pretty gummed up by now , especially on a cold climate vehicle driven for short winter trips .
I went from Minneapolis to Fargo and back a couple weeks ago, didn't stomp on it though, have had my fair share of tickets and learned my lesson, I'll try to get on a familiar road and give this a try as well though. Thanks!
Unread 02-02-2014, 03:25 PM   #7
Walt
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by yzjwk View Post
.... then i would just change the upstream o2 with a new mopar unit and be done with it...... if you can literally turn a wrench , go out and buy an o2 sensor socket and get er done...
Laxxer,

Recommend you do a scouting trip under your 5.7L HEMI to locate the upstream O2 sensor before you buy one (and the special socket). Decide if there is enough room for you to access it and place the O2 socket.

It's fairly well wedged in a place where the special O2 sensor socket is hard to get and not enough room to get my hand in to unplug the wiring connection. I was lucky in that all 4 of mine were replaced with the Y-pipe & catalytic converters under MOPAR extended warranty. Not looking forward to the time when I will have do it myself.

Think the dealers do it by dropping the Y-pipe out, installing the O2 sensors, and re-installing the Y-pipe with catalytic converters. Then, connect the wiring. Much easier to do on a vehicle lift.

If you do decide to replace the O2 sensors, suggest you use MOPAR or NGK. Bosch sensors have a somewhat slower reponse and will probably generate DTC's. 90grandoneer had some experience with this, IIRC. Do a thread search on the Oxygen Sensor Primer that he wrote about 1-2 years ago.
HEMI CLUB MEMBER #45; SILVER WK CLUB MEMBER #13
'08 WK GC Limited. 5.7L HEMI. Quadra-Trac II. Bright Silver Metallic. Class IV hitch.
Michelin LTX M/S tires. Fumoto oil drain valve. Billet Technology oil catch can.
Walt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.