P0401, P0402 & P0100 codes CRD - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > P0401, P0402 & P0100 codes CRD

Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectJKS Now Available at www.baseline4x4.com, Trackbars, Skids

Unread 08-29-2014, 01:55 PM   #1
bersh
2008 WK 

P0401, P0402 & P0100 codes CRD

Out of the blue, I started getting P0401, P0402 & P0100 codes in my 08 CRD, and the vehicle chugs, sputters, and has no power. It is very intermittent and has happened twice in the last 3 days. It acted like it was starving for fuel, and I had been wanting to replace the fuel filter anyway, so I put a new filter in on Wednesday and it runs much better than before. I used my bluetooth adapter and torque app to clear the codes, and today they came back and it chugged for a bit again.

The codes are popping up as either P0401 and P0100, or P0402 and P0100.

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks.

bersh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2014, 10:28 PM   #2
bersh
2008 WK 

Would the GDE eco tune eliminate the issues with the EGR? It doesn't appear to be running in limp mode, but the chugging and hesitation have me a bit concerned.
Unread 08-30-2014, 02:22 AM   #3
chrali
2006 XK Commander 

I don't know for certain but suspect not, as the egr usually fails when its physically blocked / gummed up. My egr was replaced, then I added the gde tune to disable the egr.

Sent from my C6833 using JeepForum
chrali is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2014, 06:40 AM   #4
bersh
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrali View Post
I don't know for certain but suspect not, as the egr usually fails when its physically blocked / gummed up. My egr was replaced, then I added the gde tune to disable the egr.

If the EGR is disabled by the tune then it seems to me that it shouldn't matter if the EGR is working or not. Just curious as I'm trying to avoid buying the tune only to find that it doesn't resolve the problem.
Unread 08-31-2014, 01:06 PM   #5
chrali
2006 XK Commander 

Depends on if the tune expects no errors before being applied or whether you want the egr closed. Best drop gde an email. Other good stuff with the tune though, you won't regret it.
Unread 08-31-2014, 02:00 PM   #6
fishinbama
2007 WK 

Maybe you could then eliminate codes, apply gde tune and then crank it up.
fishinbama is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2014, 02:43 PM   #7
bersh
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrali View Post
Depends on if the tune expects no errors before being applied or whether you want the egr closed. Best drop gde an email. Other good stuff with the tune though, you won't regret it.
I plan on calling them tomorrow to ask. I can clear the codes with my bluetooth reader, and they come back more frequently now but usually takes a couple drives.

One thing I'm wondering if I should try cleaning my EGR valve to see if that helps, but I'm not too optimistic as from lots of searching it appears that some people that have had issues have had the valve replaced and still get a code so something else is possibly causing the issue.
Unread 09-01-2014, 03:28 PM   #8
chrali
2006 XK Commander 

Mine wouldn't even limp home when mine was reduced to an intermittent 5% function. New egr worked perfectly and i got the tune months later. Didn't bother with a clean as it was under warranty, but if your not you've lost nothing by trying.

Unread 09-04-2014, 05:21 AM   #9
bersh
2008 WK 

It's starting to act up more often, and I can't get the codes to clear anymore. I'm starting to wonder how the EGR and MAF are tied together, but they are obviously related in the computer somehow as the P0100 code is always there with either the P0401 or P0402 code. As luck would have it GDE is on vacation until later in the month and given some travel I have planned won't be able to touch base with them until the end of the month.
Unread 09-04-2014, 07:08 AM   #10
Hendrix9
2007 WK 

Have you tried buying some spray MAF cleaner and just cleaning it to see if that'll make your p0100 go away? I'm not sure if the EGR would make the MAF code pop or not, but I think I'd try that. I'm also thinking just getting the GDE tune should fix your issue since it disables the EGR functions.

edit: I took this quote off http://sprinter-source.com/forum/arc...p/t-18950.html "Simply blocking off the EGR does not work on the Sprinter OM642. Tried it. The resulting gain in airflow through the MAF (because the recirculated exhaust is gone) will trigger a code because the ECM sees an air volume it does not expect. The problem is most noticeable at higher loads or acceleration."

^That makes your p0100 code make way more sense.

Do you have emissions in your state? I think I have to flash back to stock to pass emissions here, but I'm not quite sure. If you have the same issue you might have to fix your EGR at that point in time anyways.

check out this video. It might be worth trying to clean your EGR if you like wrenching on your car.
and here's another link about it http://www.crdsite.com/wk-crd-egr-cleaning.html
Hendrix9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2014, 07:43 AM   #11
bersh
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendrix9 View Post
Have you tried buying some spray MAF cleaner and just cleaning it to see if that'll make your p0100 go away? I'm not sure if the EGR would make the MAF code pop or not, but I think I'd try that. I'm also thinking just getting the GDE tune should fix your issue since it disables the EGR functions.

edit: I took this quote off http://sprinter-source.com/forum/arc...p/t-18950.html "Simply blocking off the EGR does not work on the Sprinter OM642. Tried it. The resulting gain in airflow through the MAF (because the recirculated exhaust is gone) will trigger a code because the ECM sees an air volume it does not expect. The problem is most noticeable at higher loads or acceleration."

^That makes your p0100 code make way more sense.

Do you have emissions in your state? I think I have to flash back to stock to pass emissions here, but I'm not quite sure. If you have the same issue you might have to fix your EGR at that point in time anyways.

check out this video. It might be worth trying to clean your EGR if you like wrenching on your car.
I have cleaned the MAF, but considering that I never had a code until the EGR started acting up I assumed it was related. Seeing your quote seems to confirm that. I don't necessarily like wrenching on my rig, but I dislike spending money more so I do what I can when I can.

I am planning on pulling it out and cleaning it. I figure that a couple hours of *****ing is a fair trade for potentially spending $500+ on a new valve. Worse case I will get a better handle on the job and if I end up having to replace the EGR I'll have a good idea of how to do it.
Unread 09-04-2014, 12:10 PM   #12
tnadanzig

2007 WK 

The default position of the EGR valve is closed so as long at the EGR valve is not stuck open, the GDE tune will eliminate the EGR codes. Those maps are modified in the ECM so you no longer get issues associated with the EGR and its performance.

On the 300C diesel forum, the EGR and DPF delete tuning isn't as popular and lots of them want to block the EGR so they put in a resistor like we do with the swirl motor and they get those codes as it keeps the EGR valve closed, but engine is still looking for the EGR flow. Our expensive air pump has way to many sensors to try to fool without proper engine tuning.
2007 3.0L CRD WK LTD - Stage 2 Custom Spooling Tune, Go Fast Parts
Pro-lite Build
2003 F250 6.0L CCLB - Gearhead Tunes
tnadanzig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2014, 09:43 PM   #13
bersh
2008 WK 

Well, I pulled the EGR this weekend and gave it a good cleaning. It was gunked up as expected, and after putting it back together after cleaning it the best I could I'm still getting the same error codes and still having some chugging. I also have started to get the dreaded barking small dog syndrome, but no codes yet for the actuator and it doesn't seem to fit the same pattern as others have reported. I had the wife rev the engine p and the actuator seems to be, well, actuating. I also had a camshaft A position sensor warning pop up, so now I'm not sure WTH to think or where to go other than getting a tune and addressing whatever else is happening.
Unread 09-08-2014, 06:25 AM   #14
bersh
2008 WK 

The new code I'm getting is P0342. I find it hard to believe everything is $hitting the bed all at once and I'm wondering if there is something else going on like my PCM is dying.
Unread 09-08-2014, 09:40 AM   #15
tnadanzig

2007 WK 

I would change the camshaft sensor and get a tune. The tune will eliminate any EGR issues. Sounds like your egr valve might be loosing strength to open and close.
2007 3.0L CRD WK LTD - Stage 2 Custom Spooling Tune, Go Fast Parts
Pro-lite Build
2003 F250 6.0L CCLB - Gearhead Tunes
tnadanzig is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.