P code after superchpsi tune - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > P code after superchpsi tune

Want to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under We have FLASHLIGHTS! Great for your Emergency bag!Flowmaster Overstock: Special Holiday Pricing!!!!

Unread 12-03-2011, 12:45 PM   #16
twistedlizard72
2007 WK 

Yes, I live at a good altitude. Home is at 6000 ft but my work is at 2500 ft (25 mile commute one way). Plus I am down in the Inland Empire usually once a week which is 800-1500 ft.

I forgot to mention in my last post, The Superchips manual says that a P1000 code may show up. It advises: "P1000 is a DTC that sometimes appears after a vehicle is programmed or the battery cables are unplugged from the battery. It will automatically clear after several drive cycles. It cannot be removed using the 'DTC Clear' function."

twistedlizard72 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-18-2011, 02:01 PM   #17
twistedlizard72
2007 WK 

Update!

Sorry it took so long. I was having issues getting logged into Superchips forum and that took a while, but finally got in.

Here was the response from Superchips:
-------------------------------------------------------
Are you running E-85 fuel?

Jeep has a TSB out for this type of issue. (18-040-07) Found by using google:

Code:
P1128 - CLOSED LOOP FUELING NOT ACHIEVED - BANK 1
P1129 - CLOSED LOOP FUELING NOT ACHIEVED - BANK 2

When Monitored:
Engine running in closed loop mode.

Set Condition:
Enable conditions are met and the 02 sensor has not been in closed loop control at least once on each of the two consecutive trips, the MIL illuminates and the DTC is set. Two Trip Fault. Three good trips to turn off the MIL

Possible Causes

RESTRICTED FUEL SUPPLY LINE
FUEL PUMP INLET STRAINER PLUGGED
FUEL PUMP MODULE
O2 SIGNAL CIRCUIT
O2 RETURN CIRCUIT
O2 SENSOR HEATER OPERATION
O2 SENSOR
MAP SENSOR OPERATION
ECT SENSOR OPERATION
ENGINE MECHANICAL PROBLEM
FUEL FILTER/PRESSURE REGULATOR (HIGH)
PCM
-------------------------------------------------
I probably should change the O2 sensors. I was gonna call the dealer to see if that is covered under my Powertrain Warranty. I checked the Mopar techauthority web page to see if there was an open TSB on my vehicle but nothing showed up.
Unread 05-31-2012, 12:12 PM   #18
frenetic1amnesi
2002 WJ 

I'm having the same P1128 P1129 issue. I cleared the code once last week and it came back yesterday. Both times, the CEL came on almost immediately after hot starts. I'm running the superchips 87 tune with 89 fuel as that's what I've heard works best with the tune. Did you ever figure this out?
Unread 05-31-2012, 01:21 PM   #19
sk1er18
2007 XK Commander 

My codes never came back after putting the stock tune back in (except for tire size and tpms adjustments). Performance gains were negligible, so i never bothered reinstalling the performance tune.
Unread 05-31-2012, 02:21 PM   #20
dferr17
2007 WK 

Crazy that you mention this problem because i have been dealing with the same issue as well and wanted to post about it. My 4.7 has about 45k miles on it so the O2 sensors should be good, right? I installed my Superchip 87 tune when i first got it months ago. Didnt have any problems or codes. After about a month or so the same check engine light and P1128 P1129 codes. I cleared the codes, disconnected the battery and it went away. Now as of recently the code has came back on multiple times even after disconnecting the battery. Only other thing ive noticed during all this was when i start her up the engine revs on its own. RPMs go up and down when sitting in idle. This happened when i first got the truck and i changed the TPS (i think thats what it was). I just reprogrammed the 87 tune about 5 minutes ago. We will see how long the check engine light stays off for before throwing the P codes again. Would love some answers to this
dferr17 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-31-2012, 02:43 PM   #21
sk1er18
2007 XK Commander 

I figured it had something to do with the stock 5.7L tune. My manual states that the engine is designed for 89 octane but 87 can be used if no pinging occurs..... so it was very odd that superchips recommended running their 87 octane performance tune with 89 octane; seems like I'm "detuning" the engine to run their tune. The 1128 & 1129 codes somewhat confirmed that for me.... something was just not right with their canned tune for my engine. Probably also one of the reasons I wasn't impressed with the performance gains.... hell I might've lost performance.

Curious if your codes stay off on your 4.7L.....if they do, then it sounds like a bit more widespread of an issue.
Unread 05-31-2012, 05:58 PM   #22
90grandoneer
2006 WK 

I can't speak to why these codes are showing up only with the 87 tune, as I've never tried running that tune. Do you get the same results when running the other tunes? I've never had any issue with it running the 91 tune. I also can't see what the type of fuel has to do with anything, since it is an O2 heater issue, not a sampling issue. At altitude, I've run 85 with the 91 tune and have never had a problem. As I said earlier, those codes have to do with the O2 sensor heaters NOT heating up fast enough (<~40 seconds) so the sensor can start sampling. I guess I could see this happening if the voltage to the heaters was lower than it should be, and thus would heat up slower. You won't see this happening though, unless you have some sort of diagnostic tester hooked up, but as far as I know once the code(s) are triggered it won't go into closed loop (my tester only shows error "Code 8") until the engine is restarted. If subsequent trips (good run cycles) are OK (it takes 3 good ones), the light will go off. For those that have lots of miles, I'd consider changing the O2's. On my WK I changed them all at just over 60K because I had one lazy one. My Hemi LX only has ~52K on it, and it has one that is starting to get lazy. I've got a new sensor for it and will change it soon. Read my O2 Sensor thread (see Post No. 9) to see more details on my experiences. I guess it's possible that the sensors are already becoming marginal, and something with the tuner sends them over the edge. One other thing that I've noticed is that many of the O2 sensor issues I've seen begins with the 1/2 (passenger side front) sensor. That's the one that became lazy on my WK and that's the one that's lazy on my LX and that's the one that's causing twisted's problem. Is there some sort of underlying issue here? I don't know, but it seems strange.
06 GCO, Dk Khaki, QDII, Flshing Hi 3rd Bk Lt, MDS "ON" Lt, Airtab Vortex Gens, Debadged, Fumoto Drain Valve, BT Catch Can, Chopped EGR Tube, SRT8 CAI, K&N Filter, Sonnax Trans Line Press Booster, SC Tuner W/Adv Trans Tune App, DS Tuner, Cust tubular hdrs w/3 in Magnaflow/Xlerator AP Exh Sys, Bilsteins, SRT Springs/Sways, Cust Eng Cvr, SRT8 frt/rear bumpers, FRI Sidewinder Cam/6.1 valvetrain, SLP 25% UD Pulley, BBK true 90mm T-Body, SOS Ign Coils w/.060 spark plug gaps, SRT Reps with 265/45&295/40X20's.
90grandoneer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-31-2012, 06:39 PM   #23
dferr17
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedlizard72 View Post
Update!

Possible Causes

RESTRICTED FUEL SUPPLY LINE
FUEL PUMP INLET STRAINER PLUGGED
FUEL PUMP MODULE
O2 SIGNAL CIRCUIT
O2 RETURN CIRCUIT
O2 SENSOR HEATER OPERATION
O2 SENSOR
MAP SENSOR OPERATION
ECT SENSOR OPERATION
ENGINE MECHANICAL PROBLEM
FUEL FILTER/PRESSURE REGULATOR (HIGH)
PCM
-------------------------------------------------
I probably should change the O2 sensors. I was gonna call the dealer to see if that is covered under my Powertrain Warranty. I checked the Mopar techauthority web page to see if there was an open TSB on my vehicle but nothing showed up.
Im glad Superchip really narrowed down the problem There were no CEL prior to the tune. But anyway, I reprogrammed mine with the 87, drove it about 10 blocks to work and no CEL. I'll be driving home shortly and will see if it comes back on after that startup.
2007 WK Limited 4.7 -- 2" Daystar lift -- 265/70 General Grabber AT2 -- Superchip -- AFE CAI -- side stripe -- 08+ front end -- overland grill -- black vinyl pillars -- Fastman TB -- modified Rola roof rack - HIR 9012 low beams
dferr17 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-31-2012, 07:25 PM   #24
sk1er18
2007 XK Commander 

The codes don't have to do with the octane... it has something to do with the tune (on my vehicle at least). My sensors aren't lazy, not according to the traces on the Snap-on Modus. I went through plenty of diagnostics and couldn't find a root cause.... being under warranty I returned it to stock and the codes didn't come back. Put the tune back in and they came back on.... returned to stock and they've been off since. Not worth anymore of my effort.

Edit: should also note that it's an intermittent issue which made it all that much more of a PITA to troubleshoot. Hence I was going to let the dealer have fun with it and possible get some sensors via warranty...... lol thats not gonna happen unless the codes come on with the stock tune though
Unread 05-31-2012, 07:48 PM   #25
cby7715
2005 WK 

I have a Superchips Flashpaq in my garage waiting to be added to my Jeep, but this thread has me worried that it's gonna create more problems than it's worth!

07 JK Sahara: 2" RC Spacer Lift...33x12.50 BFG A/T KO's...Black Mesh Grill
cby7715 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-31-2012, 08:07 PM   #26
sk1er18
2007 XK Commander 

Its worth the money for the tire resizing, offroad TPMS setting and a few other features that come in handy (like idle control). If you have issues with the P codes, then try to troubleshoot or just use the stock engine tune and adjust the other settings.
Unread 06-01-2012, 09:15 AM   #27
frenetic1amnesi
2002 WJ 

I'm not sure if this is just a coincidence, but my CEL came on both times under identical hot-start circumstances. After an hour of stop & go traffic in ~80*F, I parked and shut down, engine heat soaked for ~15 minutes. CEL illuminated immediately after ignition. Anyone else have a similar experience, or is it more random?

90grand: I read your huge post about the O2 sensors and I've been trying to figure this out based off a lot of information you put there, so thanks! I know it was mentioned that cheap scanners can't read fast enough, but I have a PLX Kiwi Bluetooth scanner and an app called Torque on my android phone, so I tried checking things out with that. While idling after running for ~15 minutes, both upstream sensors flip-flop pretty consistently with each other. I'm not sure about the downstream sensors though. They were both *generally* stable around 200-300mV while idling, but occasionally the 2x2 sensor would jump up to 700mV and stay there for a while, while the 1x2 sensor stayed down. Think this means anything?

I haven't gotten a chance to use the scanner with the engine cold, but I'll try that later today and see if anything looks different.

I just bought the WK a month ago so I don't really know how much work was done by the PO, but I doubt the O2 sensors have been changed and I'm at 75k on the clock. I'm planning on changing all 4 sensors with NTK this weekend, along with PCV and EGR valves, and maybe a TB cleaning. Hopefully that clears things up.

The code cleared itself a couple days ago but I'm trying to get this figured out because I'm due for inspection.
Unread 06-01-2012, 09:45 AM   #28
yzjwk
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cby7715 View Post
I have a Superchips Flashpaq in my garage waiting to be added to my Jeep, but this thread has me worried that it's gonna create more problems than it's worth!
What i have found is if you already have a lazy/starting to go o2 or map sensor or poor maintenance (oil,pcv etc.) , the superchips will exasperate the problem .Once up to date , you should be good to go .Also I think this p1128/1129 problem my be related to the 07 + v8's as those codes don't even exist in the service manual . I thought my service manual was good for 05-08 but it may only be for the 05/06's . There are some programming changes from 06-07+ .
2010 MK Patriot
yzjwk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-01-2012, 10:28 AM   #29
twistedlizard72
2007 WK 

It's been a while since I've driven my Jeep (on the job overseas), but before I had left I was continuing to get the codes and they are intermittent. It would come on about a week after I would load a tune, then go off a couple days, only to return again. I did go code free for a while after I had gotten my exhaust manifold studs fixed. Only lasted a couple weeks though. I also got the codes with all the Superchip's tunes including the stock tune. I'm pretty convinced I just need new O2 sensors.

WANTED: Steel Armadillo Sliders/Rock rails.
Unread 06-01-2012, 11:47 AM   #30
frenetic1amnesi
2002 WJ 

So I guess it looks like the O2 sensors are on their way out and the Superchips tune just makes it more apparent. Time to replace O2 sensors.

Here's a screenshot of my scan tool I grabbed during lunch. Not sure if it's fast/accurate enough to actually see anything, but maybe someone might be interested in seeing it regardless. This is during idle after a 15 minute drive.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.