Overheating and dumbfounded. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Overheating and dumbfounded.

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wSPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!

Unread Yesterday, 01:28 PM   #1
zeds_dead
2005 WK 

Overheating and dumbfounded.

So my jeep has been overheating at idle only recently. Once I kick it up to 1500-2000 RPM, it will cool back down to halfway. This led me and everybody else to believe that it was the electric fan, which I checked but was running at idle. Also, have coolant in overflow tank, changed thermostat not too long ago, and burped the cooling system when I changed it. Any suggestions on what it could be?

Unread Yesterday, 03:05 PM   #2
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Sounds like a coolant flow issue at idle.Most cases the water pump impeller has broken off the WP shaft or has dissolved off.
Unread Yesterday, 04:54 PM   #3
zeds_dead
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkj2002 View Post
Sounds like a coolant flow issue at idle.Most cases the water pump impeller has broken off the WP shaft or has dissolved off.
Well I replaced the water pump 2 years ago with a autozone reman. Do you think I should replace it with Mopar this Time?
Unread Yesterday, 05:25 PM   #4
DeChache
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeds_dead View Post
Well I replaced the water pump 2 years ago with a autozone reman. Do you think I should replace it with Mopar this Time?
Yep. That's where I would start.
Unread Today, 09:27 AM   #5
JKM
2005 WK 

I would start with burping it again. Make sure to run the heater while doing this to ensure you get any air out of the system and fill from plug on top of motor. If this does not do it, then I would remove water pump and inspect impeller.
JKM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Today, 12:25 PM   #6
Concours14

You stated the engine will cool down when the RPMs are increased. Check to see if the fan also increases speed while the engine RPMs increase. If the fan is at the same speed then your problem will more than likely be coolant flow and possibly the water pump or some other type of restriction. If the fan speed increase you may have a fan problem or sensor problem. This is all with the vehicle parked.
Concours14 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.