over towing capacity question? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > over towing capacity question?

Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft topsUp to $75 Cash Back on Your ARB Fridge Freezer Purchase

Unread 08-27-2013, 02:07 AM   #1
2005jeep4x4

over towing capacity question?

hello please excuse this question if it sounds stupid i have very little automotive knowledge and am a little worried i may have damaged my truck I have a 05 WK 3.7L V6 4WD i know my tow limit is 3500lbs but today I had to tow in excess of this (a family members truck was stranded in a very dangerous location and needed to be moved asap) it was a short distance up hill about 1000-1500 lbs over towing capacity and the rear wheels were locked on the other suv could i have damaged anything?

2005jeep4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2013, 02:22 AM   #2
IlanLCD
2008 WK 

If it was just a short distance then probably no damage.

If you didn't break anything, the only thing I suggest to check is the transmission, just inspect the oil with the dipstick, see that it't not black or smells burnt, if not all OK.
IlanLCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2013, 02:30 AM   #3
2005jeep4x4

cool thank you for the help!!
2005jeep4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2013, 07:06 PM   #4
Keeslinger31
2005 WK 

What kind of truck was it? Maybe he has a new found respect for your jeep?
Unread 08-28-2013, 08:22 AM   #5
10Xk
2010 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by IlanLCD
If it was just a short distance then probably no damage.

If you didn't break anything, the only thing I suggest to check is the transmission, just inspect the oil with the dipstick, see that it't not black or smells burnt, if not all OK.
You may not have a dip stick for the transmission with the 3.7l.
10Xk is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.