Outside window trim bulging upwards - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Outside window trim bulging upwards

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectThanksgiving holiday sale in effect @ oconeeoffroad.comRugged Ridge 8500lb Winch w/ Steel Cable $294.99 Shipped O

Unread 07-07-2008, 07:53 PM   #1
sabre364
2007 WK 

Outside window trim bulging upwards

This happening to anybody?

I use my windows very regularly in the summer and I did notice when I first picked up the jeep that the flat black window trim (that runs along the bottom of the window outside the vehicle) was bulged up ever so slightly in the middle on my front two windows. I just noticed today that the bulge (esp on the drivers window) was up a little more than normal and there was a gap appearing between that flat black trim and the felt-like piece that stays flush against the outside of the window. I just sort of shoved them together and pushed em back down, and will have the dealer reglue it or whatever next time its in.

Anybody else notice something like this? I am just hoping its not too much of a regular problem since the warrantys dont officially cover 'soft trim' and I use my windows so much.

sabre364 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-16-2008, 01:51 PM   #2
jaiojuan
2008 WK 

I have exactly the same problem in my 2008 CRD 3.0 Laredo. It is now 2 months old. I will have it serviced asap, since I fear it could fly away any time soon.
jaiojuan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-16-2008, 08:57 PM   #3
sabre364
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaiojuan View Post
I have exactly the same problem in my 2008 CRD 3.0 Laredo. It is now 2 months old. I will have it serviced asap, since I fear it could fly away any time soon.
Yeah it is still held in place at the front and back of the strip but I see it bulging upward every time I bring the windows up. The drivers door is the worst, I can easily move the center of the whole strip up and down with my hand.

This is such a stupid problem, it will be reglued and thats that. I have no doubt that it will be a problem again 2-3 years from now...You'd think something simple like this wouldn't be a problem on ANY car. I look at everyones window trim in the different cars I get in now and they all seem to be fine after many years.
Unread 07-20-2008, 12:59 AM   #4
tednelson83
1993 ZJ 

i haven't noticed this on my 05, but i haven't looked for it specifically. i use my windows daily, many times a day since i don't use my ac, and i haven't notices any problems. only one thing annoys me and thats the fact that the driver window has an auto down feature, and the passenger window button has to be held. it would be nice to have auto down on both front windows but, ohwell!
Liberalism stems from the notion that it's entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
tednelson83 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-28-2008, 08:34 AM   #5
sabre364
2007 WK 

Well its at the dealer right now, they are fixing that plus a couple of other small items.

Apparently if you just push the trim back down, it clips back into place! No glue I guess. It definitely seems a lot better, but its not as 'sturdy and locked down' as the back windows however. Its very easy to do, just push it in toward the door a bit and push straight down. Hope that helps some of the others here.

edit: well if I run the windows up and down multiple times, the driver side molding comes right back up. I will make them do something about it when I take it back. They are ordering me a new radio in regards to this issue: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showt...ighlight=radio . Seems a little drastic when they could just glue it back on somehow but I'm not one to complain about free stuff like this.

Last edited by sabre364; 07-28-2008 at 02:36 PM..
Unread 08-16-2008, 02:26 PM   #6
sabre364
2007 WK 

So when I had it in for the radio thing, the service advisor looked at the trim and ordered a new piece. I stopped by for 20 mins today and hat it put on. Its brand new, no bulging and its rock solid. Just like off the showroom floor.

I guess I can get the pass front replaced one of these days (its up a little bit, not as bad as my drivers side was - that I could play with my finger). Now I can say the 'its not like the other side', that always works on SAs i've had.
Unread 06-15-2009, 07:09 PM   #7
newbiedrew

Hi sabre364, do you remember the name of the bulging piece? I have the same problem - broken clip, and was looking to order it online, but can not figure out the right name of the trim.
newbiedrew is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-15-2009, 07:59 PM   #8
marlon_jbt
2010 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tednelson83 View Post
i haven't noticed this on my 05, but i haven't looked for it specifically. i use my windows daily, many times a day since i don't use my ac, and i haven't notices any problems. only one thing annoys me and thats the fact that the driver window has an auto down feature, and the passenger window button has to be held. it would be nice to have auto down on both front windows but, ohwell!
Really? I thought all WKs had auto up and down front windows. Hmm... might be time for a new switch maybe?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/07-Gr...Q5fAccessories
Unread 06-16-2009, 10:11 AM   #9
thewalrus
2005 WK 

The 2005's only had front driver auto down.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.