Options for jump starting without another vehicle - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 Old 02-16-2017, 05:10 PM Thread Starter
Mp5ben
2005 WK 

Options for jump starting without another vehicle

Planning a 10 day trip out to the remote 4x4 trails in Big Bend and taking the WK out to "overland" it.

I started wondering about what I'd do to jumpstart a dead Jeep. Looking on amazon I see small jumpers from phone sized all the way up to large boombox sized jump starters. All varying CAA's which my Jeep requires (05 WK, 5.7) about 1000CCA, What is says on my battery. Then there was the solar panel option but that would take quite a long time to charge a dead 12v battery even out in the desert.

I've almost decided on just bringing the battery out of my CJ7 as a free precaution and keeping a very close eye on whats being used in the Jeep when its off as well as starting it up every 2 hours or so just to keep the battery topped off.

Just seeing what's worked for yall and if you had any reccomendations, reviews are all over the place on these jumpstarters. Some had a compressor too which would be cool but not necessary

05 WK Limited, HEMI 5.7, QD II, OME HD, 255/75/17 Mud terrains
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 02-16-2017, 05:14 PM
Kman09JGC

Garage
I bought this on Amazon 70 bucks. I had one before this for 10 years before it lost it charge to fast.
Attached Images

09 laredo 28x 4.7 w/QD2 Superchip w/91 perf tune w/ trans app, jet 180 tstat,K&N CAI, bistein 5100 struts and shocks, srt8 front and rear swaybars, 255/65/17 General Grabber at2's.
Black WK Club #107
post #3 of 17 Old 02-16-2017, 05:58 PM
Planetcat
2010 WK 

I was going to suggest the spare battery. Its free and unlikely you will need to use it. Also makes for good aux power source for accessories.

post #4 of 17 Old 02-16-2017, 07:11 PM
caddydaddy
2007 WK 

This is always in the back of my Jeep!

http://www.cloreautomotive.com/sku.php?id=244

2007 CRD Limited w/QDII
GDE HOT Tune, Turbo Resonator Delete
2" RC lift
195,000+ miles!
post #5 of 17 Old 02-16-2017, 08:32 PM
azzkicker
2007 WK 

I would bring the second battery, and unless the rig was just cranking slow, I wouldn't risk draining my only hope into a fully dead battery. I would unhook the dead one, start the rig with the good one, then jumper it to the dead one until everything was fat and happy. I had to give somebody a jump start after they tried to jumpstart another rig without theirs running. Both ended up dead. Oddly, most of the instructions I've seen for jumping begin with both vehicles turned off.

I wouldn't trust anything that wasn't about as heavy as a car battery. I saw the link above and it says it weighs about 25 pounds, so that sounds about right to me.

I would love to see some real tests of these jump starter kits, not the marketing setup carefully designed to make a turd look like a diamond. I want to see somebody leave the headlights on overnight, then hook these things up and start the rig.

I see these carefully worded ad numbers, like "peak amps" and "cranking amps" which are not cold cranking amps. Also, there's no doubt in my mind they quote those numbers from their best test taken 2 seconds after it comes off the charger, and not run for long enough to actually start a rig. Call me a skeptic, but I've worked with marketing people before.

Sounds like you have a fun trip planned! Enjoy.

07 WK 5.7 QD2
4" lift, 33X10" tires
Warn winch on an ARB front bumper
post #6 of 17 Old 02-16-2017, 09:13 PM
nvrdone1
2007 WK 

I all ways have a jump box with me. so far ive only needed it once when my original battery decided to take a dump on me. but its suprising how many times ive used it to start other peoples vehicles.
for this trip I would take the extra battery, just make sure its fully charged before you leave & have fun
post #7 of 17 Old 02-16-2017, 11:47 PM
azzkicker
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvrdone1 View Post
I all ways have a jump box with me. so far ive only needed it once when my original battery decided to take a dump on me. but its suprising how many times ive used it to start other peoples vehicles.
for this trip I would take the extra battery, just make sure its fully charged before you leave & have fun
What kind do you have? It sounds like you've tested it a number of times.

07 WK 5.7 QD2
4" lift, 33X10" tires
Warn winch on an ARB front bumper
post #8 of 17 Old 02-17-2017, 03:04 AM
Hendrix9
2007 WK 

I also vote for bringing a second battery. I'd disconnect yours and try starting it with that one before hand though just to be super positive it'll work. (I tried to use the battery from my jetta TDI to start my 4.7 once and it couldnt do it)

2007 CRD QDII
2010 Jetta Sportwagen TDI 6MT - hoping it gets bought back!
2004 QD 4.7 GC
2009 Rav4 v6
post #9 of 17 Old 02-17-2017, 04:32 AM
DirectMatrix
1992 YJ Wrangler 

If you're still entertaining jump starter packs, check out this guy. He has a...unique...approach to testing and recommending starter packs. Here's the link the the entire playlist of testing.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...1J4YanMKOt_I47

~DM

'92 YJ, 2.5L "Delilah"
Sold 2014, '93 YJ, 2.5L "Quake"
Sold 2005, '88 XJ, 4.0L "Lisa"
post #10 of 17 Old 02-17-2017, 10:59 AM
underscore
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mp5ben View Post
starting it up every 2 hours or so just to keep the battery topped off.
Won't that just make it worse? It takes a while to fully recharge a battery after starting a cold engine.
post #11 of 17 Old 02-17-2017, 12:30 PM
RCS1300
2005 WK 

Make sure whatever you purchase has the correct amount of cranking amps for your engine. That small glove box stuff will not have sufficient sustaining amps if you have a starting issue.
post #12 of 17 Old 02-17-2017, 02:10 PM
DuncsJeeps

2006 XK Commander 

Garage
I carry one of these https://no.co/ works great.

I've only ever had to use it on other peoples vehicles, but it's worked every time.

2017 WK2 Trailhawk - 3.6L: Daily Driver

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
: OME HD, RRO UCA, T/A KO2, Rack w/LED, Custom storage drawers, Winch, Front and Rear Bumpers - In Progress

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
: Sold

- RRO Sliders, 27 MPG: Sold

|
post #13 of 17 Old 02-17-2017, 07:10 PM
acabtp
2005 WK 

Garage
if not going full size spare battery i would bring a U1 size lawn and garden battery (~$20-30) in a battery box (~$10). a U1 battery that i keep on the tender is my go-to for jump starting stuff around here

plenty of power and reserve for multiple starts if required
no electronics to protect the unit and shut it down when you need it most
easy to use with the jumper cables you already carry
portable, smaller than a full sized spare, easy to carry with one hand
can power winch or other 12v accessories for long periods of time

'05 WK Limited 5.7 Hemi
post #14 of 17 Old 02-17-2017, 09:41 PM
stephens039
2005 WK 

I bought a portable battery jumper from walmart its a mighty brand. It was only $60 and used it 8 times so far. Only had to charge it when i first bought it still says i have a full charge.

Khaki Club Member #85
post #15 of 17 Old 02-18-2017, 10:36 AM
derpboss

https://www.amazon.com/Lightning-Res...ing+jump+start

I've used this one to start my 5.7, my 4.7 and my ex's 2.2 saturn. Neither of the V8s were super dead, just left the radio on or some lights on too long kind of deal, but it starts them no problem. The 2.2 was sitting for a month+ in winter.

I'd lean towards the smaller ones honestly. The lithium batteries hold the charge longer then the big jump packs older style batteries.

I originally bought this one for my motorcycle, got a bad habit of leaving the key in it and this was small enough to not take much room in the bags. Was pleasantly surprised when it started my hemi.

You need to let them sit on the battery for 2-3 minutes before you try cranking them over, otherwise you just drain em and waste the stored enerhy trying to crank over without enough juice to get it done.

With that being said, This is the one I intend to eventually buy for my jeep, since this one really wasn't intended for my jeep. https://www.amazon.com/Antigravity-B...i+gravity+xp10

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.