Open Air Filters - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Open Air Filters

Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!The ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 10-24-2005, 02:42 PM   #1
SYCOHEMI

Open Air Filters

I am considering working with K&N to develop an open air, air filter kit for the Commander.

Anyone have any experience with these types of kits, that replace the stock air box, and use a conical filter, in an offroad environment?

Should I be considered about water intrusion, more than I would with a stock air box?

They have pre-filter dust covers, but I don't think that would keep much water out...

'06 Commander Ltd, 5.7L Hemi, QDII, Midnight Blue, Gibson Exhaust, Raingler Net, K&N FIPK, Remote Start, Optima Yellow, Skid plates & Tow Hooks, Rocky Road 2.25 Lift, New Rear DT Shocks, 265/70R17 REVO's, 6061-T6 Custom Wheel Adapters, 4xGuard Rock Rails/Steps
'05 Land Rover LR3 SE
SYCOHEMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2005, 11:29 AM   #2
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Most of us long ago came to the conclusion that the K&N's reduced air filtration abilities are not worth its ability to flow more air. I'd rather keep the silica and other fine particulates out of my engine than run another K&N like I used to. Especially since Jeep's modern air intake systems already breathe pretty well and better than most.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-26-2005, 02:01 AM   #3
SYCOHEMI

Thanks for your insight. Do you suspect that the open air element allowed damaging materials into your engine?
'06 Commander Ltd, 5.7L Hemi, QDII, Midnight Blue, Gibson Exhaust, Raingler Net, K&N FIPK, Remote Start, Optima Yellow, Skid plates & Tow Hooks, Rocky Road 2.25 Lift, New Rear DT Shocks, 265/70R17 REVO's, 6061-T6 Custom Wheel Adapters, 4xGuard Rock Rails/Steps
'05 Land Rover LR3 SE
Unread 10-31-2005, 11:24 AM   #4
gblue

I had a K&N on my rubicon until I noticed dust on the inside of the intake tube, I dont think its work the risk and I could not tell that it helped my jeep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYCOHEMI
Thanks for your insight. Do you suspect that the open air element allowed damaging materials into your engine?
gblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2005, 07:59 PM   #5
SYCOHEMI

I lent my Commander to K&N for R&D and they will likely bring a kit to production in the near future.
'05 Land Rover LR3 SE
Unread 11-17-2005, 01:07 PM   #6
ArloGuthroJeep
Mr. Hyde!

2004 WJ 

Properly cared for you shouldn't be getting any dust on the inside of the intake tube. I have had mine for 8 months now and last time I cleaned everything out the inside was spotless. I have been cleaning my airfilter every 1-2 months and drove on TONS of dirt roads all summer.

If you plan on fording very deep water I wouldn't get it though.

-Ryan

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.