Only drained 3 quarts of oil... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Only drained 3 quarts of oil...

Savvy FOX IFP 4" Lift Shocks in StockSavvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank Skid

Unread 12-03-2014, 10:30 AM   #1
VT-05WK
2005 WK 

Only drained 3 quarts of oil...

Did an oil change about 600 miles ago. When I did it, I barely drained 3 quarts of oil when it holds 6 quarts. I don't see any visible signs of leaks like on the ground. Looking for advice on where to look. What happened to the other half of the oil? I use castrol gtx high mileage which is part synthetic.

Unread 12-03-2014, 10:39 AM   #2
colinzj
2006 WK 

You'll "lose" some in the filter, but not 3 quarts' worth.

Did you check the dipstick before you drained it? Did it read full then?
Unread 12-03-2014, 11:16 AM   #3
nvrdone1
2007 WK 

how many miles on the car ? who did the last oil change ? when did you last check the oil level ? could be that at the last change it was not completely filled. Check the tail pipe. If there is black soot on the inside of the pipe you could be burning oil.
nvrdone1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-03-2014, 01:01 PM   #4
caulk04
2008 WK 

The tail pipe is going to be black anyway unless you've got a brand new diesel vehicle with $10K worth of emission control garbage in the exhaust.

I'd venture to say you burnt it through the intake due to the PCV system. Next time pop the hood and check the oil once in a while, ehh?
Unread 12-03-2014, 01:11 PM   #5
wranglin95

You can also have somebody fire up your rig and see what comes out of the tail pipe. If you see some white/blue smoke you're definitely burning some. How many miles do you have on the vehicle?
wranglin95 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-03-2014, 01:46 PM   #6
nvrdone1
2007 WK 

Tail pipe would be black if this was a diesel. Profile shows a 4.7 so unless its really burning oil, the tail pipe should be fairly clean
Unread 12-03-2014, 03:12 PM   #7
caulk04
2008 WK 

I've never seen a gas vehicle with a clean tail pipe unless it's got about 12 miles on it. That is not a valid way to check for burning oil.

Besides, unless it's a large amount of oil, it'll get trapped and burnt in the cat so you'll likely not see any smoke.
Unread 12-03-2014, 03:15 PM   #8
VT-05WK
2005 WK 

It is a 4.7 with 85k on the odometer. I'll check the tailpipe next time I go outside. I'll also investigate the PCV idea. I don't know if this helps but I pulled a code for cylinder 3 misfire this morning as well. Could all this be signs of a big issue?
Unread 12-03-2014, 03:16 PM   #9
nvrdone1
2007 WK 

Interesting thought. I just checked my 2007 5.7 with 108k and the tail pipe is clean. It could be that the cats are burning off any oil going out the exhaust
Unread 12-03-2014, 03:19 PM   #10
nvrdone1
2007 WK 

code P0303 ? random misfire on any cylinder could be a bad plug or even a failing coil. I'd pull all the plugs and have a look. If any one is oil fouled that could indicate a problem. at 85 k you could be close to spark plug replacement.
Unread 12-03-2014, 03:24 PM   #11
VT-05WK
2005 WK 

I'm planning on pulling all the plugs Friday. Since I'm in school, I have to work around tests this week. If they are oil fouled, what possible problems am I looking at and how easy are they fixed?

I appreciate all the help/info I'm getting
Unread 12-03-2014, 05:02 PM   #12
nvrdone1
2007 WK 

If the plugs are fouled it could be rings or valve seals. Only real way to check is to have a shop do a leak down & compression test. If it was mine and I'd never changed plugs, Id start there and see what happens.
Unread 12-03-2014, 07:23 PM   #13
fishinbama
2007 WK 

I have seen some engines burn oil only under certain conditions. For example, long distance and under load, such as when towing for a distance. Maybe you burned it? One possible thing to look into is your pcv system. If it's no working properly, you can burn oil quickly.
fishinbama is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-03-2014, 07:39 PM   #14
Aclow33
2006 WK 

Any good shop changing oil would check your dipstick before draining it. You might want to find a new place to go.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.