One for One Audio Amp Upgrade? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > One for One Audio Amp Upgrade?

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 01-18-2013, 03:01 PM   #1
rsurran
2003 TJ Wrangler 

One for One Audio Amp Upgrade?

So I've been reading about possible one for one swaps for my stock audio amp. My reading has turned up some candidates but no words like "direct replacement." So has anybody done an upgrade to a higher output amp by simply replacing the factory amp? If so, what product did you use and how do you like the results?

Dick Surran

"When you stop contributing you are just taking up space."
rsurran is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-18-2013, 03:05 PM   #2
TurboDiesel
2008 WK 

curious on this aswell

there is a kicker upgraded amp, dont know about anything else tho
255/75R17 BFG KM1's
17" ion alloy rims
15" kicker solo baric L7 w/ Alpine m1000 amp
aftermarket headlights w/5000k HIDs
Red interior LEDs and Red license plate LED
Tinted tails
5% tint over the rear windows
more to come....
TurboDiesel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-18-2013, 03:47 PM   #3
trax95008
2006 XK Commander 

There is a kicker upgrade. Direct replacement, higher output. Check it out on justforjeeps.com
trax95008 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-19-2013, 05:35 AM   #4
rsurran
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I went to the Mopar website. The Kicker upgrade for the GC produces 28W x 8 channels (speakers) for 4 ohm impedence and 46W x 8 channels for 2 ohm impedence. That's RMS or "working" watts per channel, 368W overall. The Boston Acoustics premium sound system we have is overall rated at 285W x 6 channels (speakers). At $185 the Kicker is cheap enough. The Edmund's writeup for the 2005 GC panned the whole Jeep interior and rated the Boston premium sound system at 6 of 10. Has anyone done this upgrade? What do you think?

Dick Surran

Unread 01-19-2013, 08:04 AM   #5
tom58

Jeep Grand Cherokee amp upgrade (8 ch./ 368W) (2005 - up) - PREMIUM AUDIO ONLY

http://www.mopar.com/part/77KICK18AB

"Kicker® Audio Systems Your need for power goes beyond what's under the hood. You not only want to hear the power, you want it to reverberate through your entire body. Kicker Audio brings you the only package that can match the power generated by your other Mopar upgrades. Anyone who’s really into music knows one simple formula: More power = better performance. So if you’re ready to upgrade your automotive sound system, you need Kicker amplifiers from Mopar! Kicker is the world’s premier high-performance car stereo manufacturer, which is why you can depend on Kicker for all your automotive sound system needs. Kicker 8 channel amps are great for powering an entire sound system.

77KICK18AB:
368 Watt 8 Channel Amp.
Premium Amp upgrade offers vibrant stereo image, bigger bass, and clean highs.

KMS-1® or Kicker® Mobile Surround
While DSS is exciting even more so is the other capability of your amplifier. If your vehicle is equipped with factory VES® (Video Entertainment System) you can enjoy the benefits of KMS-1® (Kicker Mobile Surround).
KMS-1 is enabled automatically when the Radio is put into the VES® mode. This feature offers the ultimate listening experience by providing surround sound uniquely equalized for your interior space.
Note: while in KMS mode the system automatically sets balance and fade to provide the optimal surround experience.
KMS® is available only if when a DVD is in the player and the radio mode is set to VES®."
tom58 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-19-2013, 10:30 AM   #6
rsurran
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks Tom that's where I ended up.

Dick Surran

Unread 01-20-2013, 12:49 AM   #7
trax95008
2006 XK Commander 

I upgraded all my speakers to the kicker replacements, but not the amp. I think there are a few different kicker amps, one being a 6 channel replacement.
trax95008 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-20-2013, 02:03 PM   #8
thedude411
2008 WK 

I've also been debating about upgrading to the kicker setup. But I have a set of jl xr speakers and a 500.1 jl amp sitting in my closet that I think I should use first.
thedude411 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.