Omelet's Rear Fender Mod! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Omelet's Rear Fender Mod!

Attention to the TJ owners 1996-2006 NEW LED LIGHT OPTIONSBds fox ipf 2.0 racing series shocks now available at rockFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 09-06-2011, 02:52 PM   #1
Omelet
Evil Overlord!

2005 WK 

Omelet's Rear Fender Mod!

I Know I said that I would do this a while ago, but I kind of forgot! The question about rubbing in the rear comes up a lot. So I figured I would make this into it's own thread instead of having it buried in the pic thread. Now depending on your tire size and wheel backspacing your rubbing will vary, so please keep that in mind. This is just a good mod to start out with if you have rubbing or think you might have rubbing before you go off road and chew up your new tires. Extending your bump stops is also a solution. Once again, depending on your configuration you might have to do both.

First I opened the door and took the 1' piece of weather strip off. Then I cut the plastic off where it angles in at a 90 degree.

Then I made a few cuts on the metal that the plastic was covering. I took a nice big hammer and bent that lip into the fender. It then got wire brushed, sanded, cleaned, and primed.

Then I got some undercoat that I had used on my front fenders and gave it a couple good coats.

Then I took all the tape and plastic off. Popped the weather strip back on and it was finished!

If you noticed I carried the painting over the front of the fender and under the weather strip for added protection. I figured it to be best that way. I hope this helps those of you that were wanting to do the same.

HEMI Club Member #31 - - - JEEP Makes It, HEMI Shakes It!!!
Omelet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2011, 03:14 PM   #2
elbuencharie
2005 WK 

Thanks for this very much needed How-to, omelet. One question though, wasn't your rub bad enough for your tire to get caught up by the rear door after this lip roll? If it was, how did you handle your rubbing issue on the door after this mod was done?

Thanks again!
HEMI Club Member #61
elbuencharie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2011, 03:20 PM   #3
Omelet
Evil Overlord!

2005 WK 

With my old tires the mod was enough. But with my current tire (295), wheel, and spacer combo I had to extend my bump stops to keep from rubbing. At full stuff I still get slight rubbing in the back portion of the wheel well on the plastic, but it won't harm anything.

Unread 09-06-2011, 03:54 PM   #4
elbuencharie
2005 WK 

I hear ya, I murdered my rear passenger tire with the lip (Destination M/T's are way too soft) on my first trail. Now I'm running good ole trustworthy BFG AT T/A KO's in 275/70R17 (32's) flavor and I'm lovin the ride quality, road manners and durability. I'm not gonna miss the mud specs on the destins anyway.

I think after my lip roll I will also extend the bump stops just to be on the safe side. Do you remember the specific bolt size that's required to extend it in 2" or so?
HEMI Club Member #61
elbuencharie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2011, 05:29 PM   #5
Omelet
Evil Overlord!

2005 WK 

I can't remember the size. I looked through my pix briefly to see if I took a pic of the bolt like I usually do, but I didn't see it. I will give the garage a quick sweep and see what I can find.

Unread 09-07-2011, 04:30 AM   #6
Valpacer

2007 WK 

Nice work Omelet!

Dave
2007 WH Grand Cherokee CRD (Yup, RHD Australia)- 3" Exhaust, GDE Flash Tune, CRDSTU/SL Hybrid Lift & bash Plates, 4xGuard Rock Rails, Saguaro F & R Bars, RCV's, Warn 9.5cti-s, AEV Saverge Rims, Nitto Mud Grapplers, Snorkel, Custom Rear Drawers, On Board Air, BullyDog Monitor, Dual Batteries - Build Thread - YouTube Vids
Valpacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2011, 12:13 PM   #7
mrtosh
2005 WK 

The bumpstop bolt is a M10x1.50 and however long you would like in length. Thanks again for posting this Omelet. I did this mod a couple month back and will say it was much needed!
'05 WK Limited QDII, Superlift 6", Bilstein struts,315/70/17 Duratracs, Gibson CB, Volant CAI, JBA UCA's, JKS quick disco, adj. Rear trac bar, 4xguard armor, Diablosport Intune, Xenondepot 6000k HID's, Putco Jet yellow fogs.
mrtosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2011, 12:14 PM   #8
mrtosh
2005 WK 

http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums....php?p=4661160
'05 WK Limited QDII, Superlift 6", Bilstein struts,315/70/17 Duratracs, Gibson CB, Volant CAI, JBA UCA's, JKS quick disco, adj. Rear trac bar, 4xguard armor, Diablosport Intune, Xenondepot 6000k HID's, Putco Jet yellow fogs.
Unread 09-07-2011, 12:15 PM   #9
mrtosh
2005 WK 

^^^^That should help some for homemade bumpstops.
Unread 09-07-2011, 12:34 PM   #10
mrtosh
2005 WK 

Hey Nate on your old setup of 285's did you run bumpstops with this mod? Did you have the 1" spacers back there then as well?
Unread 09-07-2011, 02:18 PM   #11
Omelet
Evil Overlord!

2005 WK 

No I did not extend the bump stops. I did have the spacers in and because of that the bump stop was extended by a little,because it was sitting on the spacer and not seated all the way to the stock mount. Also my 285s were used and not new, so they were a hair smaller then a new set.

Unread 09-07-2011, 02:28 PM   #12
mrtosh
2005 WK 

Gotcha. It's close but I'm gonna see if I can get by with just the 1" wheel spacers in the rear and rolled fenders with my 285's. If not I'm bringing some extensions just in case.
Unread 09-07-2011, 03:21 PM   #13
Omelet
Evil Overlord!

2005 WK 

Oh wheel spacers! I was using .25" spacers in the rear with the 285s and Moabs.

Unread 09-25-2011, 05:22 PM   #14
DuncsWK
2008 WK 

Did you cut that plastic piece that holds the rubber weather strip in place, or did you take it off and cut it?

If you took it off, how did you get those plastic clips off / what did you replace them with if you cut or drilled them out?
DuncsWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2011, 06:14 PM   #15
Omelet
Evil Overlord!

2005 WK 

I did pull them off to cut them. I was able to carefully remove the weather strip and only break a couple of the clips. I ran to Pep Boys and grabbed these to replace them with.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.