Omelet's LED Rock Lights - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Omelet's LED Rock Lights

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsDisc Brake Kits from ECGS

Unread 08-12-2011, 01:15 PM   #46
Omelet
Evil Overlord!

2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Climbit
ordered my set today. very nice writeup
Thanks bud! I hope you like them as much as I do. Are these going on your XJ?

HEMI Club Member #31 - - - JEEP Makes It, HEMI Shakes It!!!
Omelet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2011, 01:19 PM   #47
Climbit
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by omelet View Post
Thanks bud! I hope you like them as much as I do. Are these going on your XJ?
yes they are.

I have wanted rock lights for a while and I really didnt want to spend the hundred+ $$ it costs for a kit from somewhere like visionx or genright.

I like the idea of a strip light as well.
Climbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2011, 01:51 PM   #48
mayor_bloom
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by omelet View Post
Mayor_bloom - Maybe this will help. Here is the back of my switches. I have all of my grounds linked together and all the ACC linked together. Then you run a wire from the bottom to the relay.

My drawing might make a little more sense now.
pictures says a 1000 words. I think I get it now, I was trying to wire it like a light swtich in my house. Now I just gotta find out if I need a extra fuse box or not.

edit: I do not get it. I have printed out your pic to use as a diagram.
questions:
1. What does the ACC attach to. I know that acc is for the key being in the on position but the car not starting, But I have no clue where I would be attachiong this to.
2. On you diagram, you have power going to the relay from the aux fuse box (GREEN), you also have it gounded (I assume to the body, BLACK); I understand those but why is there only one wire to the device (BLUE) and what in the hell is the red for? other than on/off, does it turn thre relay on/off?

If you are to busy or this is a pain to explain; i understand. I am great at recreating work without knowing why it works just that it does. I just need to see things I guess, where does the ground for the device hook up?
THE WK BLUE CREW #14
MODS: CUrrent: ome hd (front and rear stacked), piaa lights, 275/70/17 silent amours, xd 17" rim 5.3bs, overland wood trim/steering wheel, kenwood dnx7100 nav, 800 watt power inverter in boot, 4x guard side rails, wh rear bumper, 08+ face lift w/hid's, front tow hooks
For Sale: Saguaro wk00 front winch bumper, pm me for details
mayor_bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2011, 02:28 PM   #49
pmoss58
2008 JK Wrangler 

Great write up!! I can wait to do this to my Jeeps. I dont think this has been said yet but, if you cant find the LEDs on ebay you can get them from here: http://www.superbrightleds.com/
pmoss58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2011, 02:33 PM   #50
Omelet
Evil Overlord!

2005 WK 

I do understand what your asking and will get back to you later today with answers and pictures.

Unread 08-12-2011, 02:50 PM   #51
pmoss58
2008 JK Wrangler 

Hey Omelet all the ones i am finding on Ebay are in Hong Kong, is that where yours shipped from?
Unread 08-12-2011, 02:54 PM   #52
pmoss58
2008 JK Wrangler 

Nevermind i found them
Unread 08-12-2011, 04:10 PM   #53
Budasac
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayor_bloom View Post
pictures says a 1000 words. I think I get it now, I was trying to wire it like a light swtich in my house. Now I just gotta find out if I need a extra fuse box or not.

edit: I do not get it. I have printed out your pic to use as a diagram.
questions:
1. What does the ACC attach to. I know that acc is for the key being in the on position but the car not starting, But I have no clue where I would be attachiong this to.
2. On you diagram, you have power going to the relay from the aux fuse box (GREEN), you also have it gounded (I assume to the body, BLACK); I understand those but why is there only one wire to the device (BLUE) and what in the hell is the red for? other than on/off, does it turn thre relay on/off?

If you are to busy or this is a pain to explain; i understand. I am great at recreating work without knowing why it works just that it does. I just need to see things I guess, where does the ground for the device hook up?
Maybe I can help you out.

1. Acc. feed: If you don't have some sort of voltage tester then the easiest wire to grab would be the feed for the acc. port in the center console. Get one of those little wire tap conn. from home depot and you don't even have to strip the wire. I found this spot to be convenient because that's also where I mounted my switches.

2. As per the wiring. Yes, the green is the feed to the relay and the black is the ground (and yes, to the body). There is a factory ground near the battery where I grounded all my relays. There is only 1 wire (blue/power) going to the device because ussually you would ground the device near the mounting point. The whole truck is a ground. As long as the (-) from the device is in contact with clean metal you're good to go.
And then the red is the control wire that turns the relay on and off. The relay is basically a switch that connects the green wire to the blue wire. But instead of flipping the switch with your finger, you're going to send power to it on the red wire to flip the switch. When the relay gets a neg. and a feed it closes the circuit and sends power to the device. THe purpose it serves is to seperate the new wiring from the factory wiring.

If you eliminate the relay and just run the feed from the Acc. port to a switch and then to the device it would also work. It would be the same as plugging an Accessory directly into the port. The problem with that set up is you can only power one device that way before you start to stress the circuit and blow fuses. With the relays the devices are drawing power directly from the battery. The factory wiring (acc feed) is only powering the relay to close the circuit, and the coils in the relay barely draw anything.

Hopefully some of that makes some sense.
Budasac is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2011, 11:29 PM   #54
Omelet
Evil Overlord!

2005 WK 

^^^What he said!^^^

If you would like to see a couple of pix for where I connected the switch ground and ACC, I have them here. Post #14 I think!

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/c...nious-1211084/

Let me know if this helps or not.

Unread 08-14-2011, 03:45 AM   #55
mayor_bloom
2005 WK 

ok, I got it. I am sure this time. I keep thinking wiring a house, not thinking that the entire car is a ground and I can ground anywhere.

only question left is does the relay matter if its a 4 pin or a 5 pin?
THE WK BLUE CREW #14
MODS: CUrrent: ome hd (front and rear stacked), piaa lights, 275/70/17 silent amours, xd 17" rim 5.3bs, overland wood trim/steering wheel, kenwood dnx7100 nav, 800 watt power inverter in boot, 4x guard side rails, wh rear bumper, 08+ face lift w/hid's, front tow hooks
Unread 08-14-2011, 05:39 AM   #56
Budasac
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayor_bloom View Post
ok, I got it. I am sure this time. I keep thinking wiring a house, not thinking that the entire car is a ground and I can ground anywhere.

only question left is does the relay matter if its a 4 pin or a 5 pin?
nope either one willl work. You just don't use the extra pin on the five pin relay.
Budasac is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2011, 06:37 AM   #57
mayor_bloom
2005 WK 

thanks bud and nath
THE WK BLUE CREW #14
Unread 08-26-2011, 07:52 AM   #58
djeep05
2005 WK 

Omelet - I was wondering did you permanently mount them to the front guard and if so how are you going to manage an oil change since the front guard has to come off to access the oil filter. I am only asking because I am getting ready to mount a set of leds just like this.
[COLOR="Red"][B]HEMI Club Member #54[/B][/COLOR]
[COLOR="Silver"][B]Silver WK Club Member #8[/B][/COLOR]
djeep05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2011, 08:04 AM   #59
Omelet
Evil Overlord!

2005 WK 

Yes I did permanently mount them, well as permanent as zip-ties are If you click HERE it will take you back to pix of where I went back the next day and added the ties. I had to drill small holes in the front guard for the ties, but in the back I used the drain holes or whatever they are. At the end of the front and rear stips I added a disconnect so that I can disconnect the LED strip from the harness, unbolt the guards, and drop them leaving the light attached.

Unread 09-05-2011, 06:23 PM   #60
clbailey
2005 WK 

Did you cut and connect the lights in a series or parallel?
clbailey is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.