Omelet's LED Rock Lights - Page 22 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Omelet's LED Rock Lights

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 10-17-2013, 11:22 PM   #316
robrilla
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by snobrdrkid07 View Post
My relay that I have in there "buzzes" as the interior lights dim as they go out, like they normally do. The relay just doesn't snap off. It is more like, "oh power dimming, don't know what to do, going to make noise and make the LED's flicker... Any way to fix this?
I'm having this buzzing as well from my relay. I have my setup like the image below. Any way to get rid of the buzzing???

Thanks,
-Rob

led-lights-2.jpg

robrilla is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-19-2013, 10:19 PM   #317
robrilla
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by robrilla View Post
I'm having this buzzing as well from my relay. I have my setup like the image below. Any way to get rid of the buzzing???

Thanks,
-Rob
Alright. I got it figured out. Well, mostly figured out. I still get a very minor buzz but nothing that I can't handle.

I used a 1000uf 35v capacitor that was bridged between 85 and 86 on the relay.

Thanks a bunch guys! Couldn't have done it without you!
-Rob

This was the final output for my WJ under mirror lights -
jeepmirrorlightresized.jpg

Unread 10-27-2013, 10:59 PM   #318
Etanthegreat138
2001 XJ Cherokee 

I did the same on my xj, two switches one for the white and one for the red. Red in the interior under the dash and seats. And a set of three leds in the trim under the radio hooked up to the sub. Replaced the dome lights with white led panels I made and hooked up some whites to the hood switch. I never need a flashlight working on or under it again.
Etanthegreat138 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-24-2014, 11:26 PM   #319
askbob

Another mod to add to the list!
askbob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-24-2014, 11:53 PM   #320
robrilla
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by askbob View Post
Another mod to add to the list!
This is on the top of my favorite mods list, right next to the carbon fiber trim mod. I didn't do all around the Jeep though, just under the mirrors.
Unread 06-21-2014, 04:11 PM   #321
its-me-B
2002 WJ 

update on mine, the Wisconsin winters weren't nice to the side lights on mine so I had to buy another roll to replace those. I ended up taking Two 6 inch strips and adding them to the rear axle one on each side of the drive shaft. I plan to add another eight inch LED strip on the front axle. All of the axle lights are facing inward towards the center of the vehicle so I have lights all the way around the outside and when I'm done I'll have lights facing inside as well. I'll post up pictures once I get the front axle done and taken care of
Zombie Outbreak Response Unit #396
its-me-B is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-26-2014, 07:46 AM   #322
its-me-B
2002 WJ 

I need help I have run into a few issues with mine. I added rear axle lights tap those into other lights that were already on the vehicle and now the and fuse keeps popping, and what I put a slightly larger fuse in it melted my power wire from the battery to the relay. Why would adding two more lights cause this to happen any ideas would be very helpful. I am using the same power for the four underbody lights as I am for the two axle lights that I had added.
Unread 07-27-2014, 10:19 AM   #323
Budasac
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by its-me-B View Post
I need help I have run into a few issues with mine. I added rear axle lights tap those into other lights that were already on the vehicle and now the and fuse keeps popping, and what I put a slightly larger fuse in it melted my power wire from the battery to the relay. Why would adding two more lights cause this to happen any ideas would be very helpful. I am using the same power for the four underbody lights as I am for the two axle lights that I had added.
Never put a larger fuse in unless the wire is rated for it. (You already know why). Are you using the same type of led strips? It sounds like you have a short somewhere. I would go back and disconnect the new lights, test to make sure the old lights work, then connect the new lights one at a time. And see what happens. That will help you isolate the issue and let you know where you should be looking.
Budasac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-27-2014, 05:56 PM   #324
its-me-B
2002 WJ 

I think I got it sorted out. The wire from the fuse was smaller speaker wire. I replaced it with a thicker heavy wire and all is well again. I also added a 8 inch led on the front axle, I'll get some pics once it gets dark.
Unread 07-27-2014, 08:50 PM   #325
its-me-B
2002 WJ 

so I finally got around to taking some pictures as promised. here's a picture of the rear axle

And the front axle
Unread 07-30-2014, 08:46 AM   #326
jeremyc653
2005 WK 

I had my rear light mounted to track bar with a little slack in wireing the other day I noticed the wire was ripped out of the leds anyone have that issue ?
Unread 08-15-2014, 11:58 AM   #327
WKColoradoWK
2006 WK 

I just got my lights in, and waiting on my switches. I have never done any car wiring before. I have a few questions. 1. Is an additional fuse box required to hook up the lights? 2. I have a couple open relay spots in my current electrical boxes, can I wire up to one of those, or do I wire to the relay switch already controlling the interior lights? (I want the rock lights to turn on with the interior lights and also have a switch to turn them on manually). I have read though a lot of this forum and I just can't fully wrap my head around how the wiring is done. I understand that I need to go to a fuse, then a relay, but 3. where are you grounding the lights too? Just to the body of the Jeep where the lights are being placed? or do you run the + and - wires up to the engine compartment and ground there? Any help would be greatly appreciated, sorry I am new to a lot of this but I want to do a lot of mods to my Jeep, figured lights was a good, cheap place to start.
WKColoradoWK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-17-2014, 07:10 AM   #328
Budasac
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WKColoradoWK View Post
I just got my lights in, and waiting on my switches. I have never done any car wiring before. I have a few questions. 1. Is an additional fuse box required to hook up the lights? 2. I have a couple open relay spots in my current electrical boxes, can I wire up to one of those, or do I wire to the relay switch already controlling the interior lights? (I want the rock lights to turn on with the interior lights and also have a switch to turn them on manually). I have read though a lot of this forum and I just can't fully wrap my head around how the wiring is done. I understand that I need to go to a fuse, then a relay, but 3. where are you grounding the lights too? Just to the body of the Jeep where the lights are being placed? or do you run the + and - wires up to the engine compartment and ground there? Any help would be greatly appreciated, sorry I am new to a lot of this but I want to do a lot of mods to my Jeep, figured lights was a good, cheap place to start.
Check out the diagram in post #167.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/o...l#post12539046
Budasac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-17-2014, 10:47 AM   #329
WKColoradoWK
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budasac View Post

Check out the diagram in post #167.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/o...l#post12539046
Thanks for that, knowing that I can use and inline fuse helps. I'll post pictures once I have it completed.
Unread 08-17-2014, 11:11 AM   #330
WKColoradoWK
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budasac View Post
That looks good except the relay is wired wrong. (wires on the wrong terminals) other then that it looks good. You can grab the keyed power from the acc. port in the center consol. The WK has two (I think my WJ did also but I can't remember) But one should be keyed and the other constant. And yeah, I'd grab the courtesy feed from the footwell lamp on the drivers side.

I wrote up a thread a while back with wiring diagrams for relays and circuits. Check it out. May help you.
Electric 101- Wiring relays

PS. Zed, there are pics and diagrams for ya.lol
The electric 101 was also really helpful! I just couldn't wrap my head around how to hook to to the interior lights relay. After seeing how you have your relays in the electric 101 I have a better understanding! Thanks again!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.