Omelet's LED Rock Lights - Page 21 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Omelet's LED Rock Lights

Labor day sale @ rockridge 4wd! 8/29-9/1 site wide..promo Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comShocktober is here! Get new shocks for your Jeep!!!!

Unread 05-07-2013, 08:56 PM   #301
Roberthhhhh
1995 ZJ 

what is the requirement in the relays? Wouldnt you be able to just run power through a switch and fuse to the lights?

Roberthhhhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2013, 04:59 AM   #302
jeremyc653
2005 WK 

You could but relays are a fail safe so you don't burn your stuff up with them being cheap on amazon and coming with wiring harness for easy change when they blow. I'll let someone else chime in why they are so important
Unread 05-08-2013, 06:38 AM   #303
Budasac
2005 WK 

Relays are used for two reasons.
1- they allow you to isolate the new components from the factory wiring. You don't want to add any additional load to the existing wiring. (If you don't plan on splicing into any wiring to activate the lights then this wouldn't pertain).

2- many of us have multiple switches (3-5) for a variety of acc lights. Without relays you would have to run a 20amp circuit to each switch and the from there to the component. Using relays you're able to run 1- 5amp circuit to the switch bank to control all the relays. Group the relays together in the engine bay and the bulk of your wiring is all in one place with a minimal amount of wires passing through the firewall.

Certainly not necessary in all situations but it's the best/safest method. (IMO)
Budasac is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2013, 07:30 AM   #304
jeremyc653
2005 WK 

Just who I wanted to chime in the expert on the subject
Unread 05-09-2013, 10:08 AM   #305
Roberthhhhh
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budasac View Post
Relays are used for two reasons.
1- they allow you to isolate the new components from the factory wiring. You don't want to add any additional load to the existing wiring. (If you don't plan on splicing into any wiring to activate the lights then this wouldn't pertain).

2- many of us have multiple switches (3-5) for a variety of acc lights. Without relays you would have to run a 20amp circuit to each switch and the from there to the component. Using relays you're able to run 1- 5amp circuit to the switch bank to control all the relays. Group the relays together in the engine bay and the bulk of your wiring is all in one place with a minimal amount of wires passing through the firewall.

Certainly not necessary in all situations but it's the best/safest method. (IMO)
Thank you. I think I've got it now.
Roberthhhhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2013, 12:56 PM   #306
Tbonfire
2006 WK 

Where can I get these SPDT switches for the rock lights? All I can find is the covers but no switch bodys! Besides the momentary ones.
Tbonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2013, 01:13 PM   #307
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbonfire View Post
Where can I get these SPDT switches for the rock lights? All I can find is the covers but no switch bodys! Besides the momentary ones.
OTRATTW switches. My personal go-to for switches. www.otrattw.com
~ 04 WJ 4.0 | Selec-Trac 242 | MBP | OME HD 3" Lift | JKS TB | IRO Front LCA's and UCA's| Bilstein 5100's | Custom Front D.S. | Stillen Rotors/Metal Matrix Pads | Tow Package w/ 3.73's | Projectors w/ 55w HID H1 5000K Lows | Sylvania Ultra 9005 Fogs | Moog HD Steering | Kenwood eXcelon Radio | Memphis Speakers | Alpine Amps | Alpine Subs | Moog STB SS | Superchips Flashpaq | Auxiliary Transmission Cooler | Rock Lights | Light Bars ~

~ Snobrdrkid's "Build" Thread ~ YouTube Channel ~ Fuelly ~WJ 4.0 Transmission Cooler Info ~

~ 05 Rubicon Unlimited 4.0 | 6-Speed | Dana 44's | Air Lockers | 4.11 Gears | Rock-Trac 241OR T-Case with 4:1 4-Low | 2" Spacer Lift | 245/75/16 Kevlar MT/R's on Moabs | Hansen Offroad Steel F/R Bumpers | Warn 9000xi Winch | Edge Performance Chip | Custom CAI | Hella Off-road Lights | Cobra 29 CB | Flash Lights | Recovery Gear | Fire Extinguisher ~

-Michael-

For Sale:
Front XJ/TJ 2" Budget Boost. PM for details.
snobrdrkid07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2013, 01:15 PM   #308
Tbonfire
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by snobrdrkid07

OTRATTW switches. My personal go-to for switches. www.otrattw.com
They are all out
Unread 06-13-2013, 01:18 PM   #309
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbonfire View Post
They are all out
Well snap, they sure are. Give them a call, the guy I speak to is always very friendly and helpful. They are also redoing their website so that may be a possible issue.
~ 04 WJ 4.0 | Selec-Trac 242 | MBP | OME HD 3" Lift | JKS TB | IRO Front LCA's and UCA's| Bilstein 5100's | Custom Front D.S. | Stillen Rotors/Metal Matrix Pads | Tow Package w/ 3.73's | Projectors w/ 55w HID H1 5000K Lows | Sylvania Ultra 9005 Fogs | Moog HD Steering | Kenwood eXcelon Radio | Memphis Speakers | Alpine Amps | Alpine Subs | Moog STB SS | Superchips Flashpaq | Auxiliary Transmission Cooler | Rock Lights | Light Bars ~

~ Snobrdrkid's "Build" Thread ~ YouTube Channel ~ Fuelly ~WJ 4.0 Transmission Cooler Info ~

~ 05 Rubicon Unlimited 4.0 | 6-Speed | Dana 44's | Air Lockers | 4.11 Gears | Rock-Trac 241OR T-Case with 4:1 4-Low | 2" Spacer Lift | 245/75/16 Kevlar MT/R's on Moabs | Hansen Offroad Steel F/R Bumpers | Warn 9000xi Winch | Edge Performance Chip | Custom CAI | Hella Off-road Lights | Cobra 29 CB | Flash Lights | Recovery Gear | Fire Extinguisher ~

-Michael-

For Sale:
Front XJ/TJ 2" Budget Boost. PM for details.
snobrdrkid07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2013, 01:24 PM   #310
Tbonfire
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by snobrdrkid07

Well snap, they sure are. Give them a call, the guy I speak to is always very friendly and helpful. They are also redoing their website so that may be a possible issue.
Okay thank you!
Unread 07-09-2013, 11:45 AM   #311
Live4Jeeps
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Mind telling me what gauge wire you used? Looks amazing and I can do my own wiring but I'm wondering if you found that perfect wire size, you know, not too much and not too little going through it. Thanks!
Live4Jeeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2013, 12:34 PM   #312
Budasac
2005 WK 

Pretty much anything from 16-20 gauge should be fine. The LEDs all combined draw less then 5 amps.(Never added them up for an exact amperage but I have them on a 5 amp fuse with no issues.). I think I used #18 wire. You could likely go even smaller but then the wire is a bit fragile and susceptible to damage.

Watch your "+" and "-". Be sure to wire all the LEDs the same and bench test them. It'll save you the headache of lying on your back trying to repair a solder joint after they're installed.
Budasac is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2013, 10:24 PM   #313
SSnipes
2008 JK Wrangler 

This is an awesome thread to find. I have seen so many expensive rock light systems or halogen systems that provide to much intense light in one area. Thanks to the OP for this thread. I am going to order my lights soon.

As for wiring mine, I setup my offroad lights to work off of the high beam and since I don't have the factory fog/driving lights any longer I plan to use that switch, which only runs off the low beam, for the rock lights. If I come to a technical section and need a spotter to see I just go for the low beams. At that instance the offroad lights turn off and on come the rock lights. All can be deleted from operating with rocker switches that have a lighted indicator that these are on.

I hope I like it but I can change it any time to be manual rather dependent on whether I am running high or low beams.
Wife's - '01 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.7L - Stock
ATS 245/70R16
SSnipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2013, 06:27 AM   #314
Jeepforthewin
Lucky Charms!

2005 WK 

I wish i was inclined enough on how to do this kind of stuff. Would love to have some of these.
Unread 08-07-2013, 08:41 PM   #315
SSnipes
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepforthewin View Post
I wish i was inclined enough on how to do this kind of stuff. Would love to have some of these.
It is easier than you think? Surely you can find someone who can help you?
Wife's - '01 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.7L - Stock
ATS 245/70R16
SSnipes is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.