Omelet's LED Rock Lights - Page 11 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Omelet's LED Rock Lights

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 11-16-2011, 03:14 PM   #151
Budasac
2005 WK 

Carlos, just search EBAY for "led strip". There are about 25,000 auctions. I bought a 5 meter roll but I've seen "15 led strips" and "30 led strips". Also, if you search lowest price first there are a ton of penny auctions with free shipping. Ya never know, might get lucky.

Hey wait a minute. Your not trolling JF for ideas for that FORD are you?? lol

Edit: Damn it Chris ya beat me. I took a minute to check fleabay.

Budasac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-16-2011, 04:39 PM   #152
Acidcold
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jager00

Going to put them on your F-150 haha

But pretty sure you can biy them in smaller rolls
Don't knock the ecoboost! She will tow you sideways up a 6 degree incline wile still hitting double digits on mpg

I want the LEDs for a small project on my rear view mirrors that have a reflector that needs light
Acidcold is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-16-2011, 04:40 PM   #153
Acidcold
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budasac
Carlos, just search EBAY for "led strip". There are about 25,000 auctions. I bought a 5 meter roll but I've seen "15 led strips" and "30 led strips". Also, if you search lowest price first there are a ton of penny auctions with free shipping. Ya never know, might get lucky.

Hey wait a minute. Your not trolling JF for ideas for that FORD are you?? lol

Edit: Damn it Chris ya beat me. I took a minute to check fleabay.
Lol no troll bro, just need to delete myself off jf ones my jeep crap sells.
Acidcold is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-16-2011, 05:16 PM   #154
85IrocZ-28
1999 WJ 

I soldered mine with a big solder gun, not a nice electronics one. Make sure you are using a quality solder, and I like to use flux.
*Project Yeti* 99 JGC Limited 4.7 w/6.5" Rockkrawler LA & IRO A-arm, Goodyear MTR 35's on MB TKO's, 4.56 Yukon's, Iceland Offroad Bumper/Flares/Sliders, Protofab Rear Carrier, SuperChips, Uniden/Firestick, Flowmaster, Smittybilt 8k Synthetic Line Winch.

My Jeep is Organic - Undercoated in 100% all natural Utah Dirt --- Utah Jeep Crew #49 ~Will
2012 JeepForum GCOTY --- [URL=http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/project-yeti-abominable-wj-1125665/]Project Yeti Build Thread[/URL]
85IrocZ-28 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-16-2011, 06:23 PM   #155
jager00
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acidcold View Post
Don't knock the ecoboost! She will tow you sideways up a 6 degree incline wile still hitting double digits on mpg

I want the LEDs for a small project on my rear view mirrors that have a reflector that needs light
As you know i havent had a single good experience with ford so dont tak this personal!

If i wanted something that could tow me sideways up a 6 degree incline id still be rocking the cummims dually! Not a pusst *** ford that will brake before it first oil change

But they will still look cool or your eco boost

2005 WK 9" lift on 37's with all the goodies- regretfully sold :(
jager00 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-16-2011, 06:34 PM   #156
Budasac
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acidcold View Post
Lol no troll bro, just need to delete myself off jf ones my jeep crap sells.
It's all good, just F'in with ya. You don't want to join a Ford forum anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jager00 View Post
As you know i havent had a single good experience with ford so dont tak this personal!

If i wanted something that could tow me sideways up a 6 degree incline id still be rocking the cummims dually! Not a pusst *** ford that will brake before it first oil change

But they will still look cool or your eco boost
I'm not gonna knock ford. I don't like their current line-up but I've had my Mustang for 20 years (and she was over 20 years old when I got her) and she's always been good to me.
Unread 11-16-2011, 08:07 PM   #157
Omelet
Evil Overlord!

2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarInc
How hard of a time you guys having soldering up the connections? Ive tried my cheap walmart iron and all it is doing is burning the white circuit board. I also attempted useing my cold heat iron but the tip is to big.

Are you tinning the wire first then reheating to make the connection or are the pooling the solder on the light contact before placeing the wire on? Needless to say my soldering skills are way sub par

Sent from my DROID2 using JeepForum
What I did was first trim the silicone off the tip and expose the two leads. Then I tinned the wires. Lastly I placed the tinned tips onto the leads and heated them until they milted and stuck. Last thing was to use heat shrink on the joint. I am extremely amateur when it comes to soldering. So if I can do it anyone can!

Carlos - after installing some in my cargo area I don't have much left. Maybe a few inches.

HEMI Club Member #31 - - - JEEP Makes It, HEMI Shakes It!!!
Omelet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-19-2011, 06:34 AM   #158
Budasac
2005 WK 

Just a quick update since I finally got my lights. I used the same method as Omelet just posted. (tinned the wires , etc.) The easiest way I found to do it was to seperate the silicone from the circuit on the end with a fingernail, then bend the contacts down at a 90 degree angle. Then just snip the piece of silicone near the first led. (ignore the rusty plyers in the pic. They serve their purpose.) I think Nate also mentioned using liquid tape in an earlier post. I did that as well. Coat the leads then cover with the heat shrink. That way the conections should be water proof.

Also there was some talk about what kind of solder gun/iron to use. I have a nice electronic soldering gun that heats up instantly that I was planning on using but, while at Home Depot, I decided to pick up a pencil torch to heat the heat shrink. (tired of using a lighter) For a few dollors more they had a small kit that included soldering tips. I used it for the whole project and it worked great. So if anyone is looking to buy a soldering gun I would recomend this little torch. Small, fast, versital, and portable. (just have to be sure you have butain on hand to refill). For $15 you can't beat it.
dscn4913.jpg   dscn4916.jpg   dscn4922.jpg   dscn4924.jpg   dscn4926.jpg  

Unread 11-19-2011, 11:52 AM   #159
Omelet
Evil Overlord!

2005 WK 

Nicely done! So do you have it all finished yet!?!

I have the cheapest soldering iron there is So this is proof that you don't need anything special to get it to work. This is what I have been using for all my wiring:

The kit Buda posted looks pretty sweet though! I might have to give it a try. It gets really annoying trying to use a lighter and heat shrink outside. The wind sucks!

Unread 11-19-2011, 12:03 PM   #160
Budasac
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by omelet View Post
Nicely done! So do you have it all finished yet!?!

I have the cheapest soldering iron there is So this is proof that you don't need anything special to get it to work. This is what I have been using for all my wiring:

The kit Buda posted looks pretty sweet though! I might have to give it a try. It gets really annoying trying to use a lighter and heat shrink outside. The wind sucks!
I'm about to go out and install it now. I just got the stuff on wed. Nate. It took 2 months!! Hopefully I'll have some pics up tonight.

And yeah. I thought that kit was nice for $15. I was gonna buy just the torch for $7 just for the heat shrink like you said and then I saw that. Nice little tool(I'm a tool whore). And it's cordless too.
Unread 11-19-2011, 07:58 PM   #161
bumzo1
2005 WK 

How do you think it would look with the warm white LEDs? They are about the same price as the white ones but give off a more traditional look. I love the idea but standard LED light looks really harsh and unnatural to me.
Khaki WK Club Member #1
bumzo1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-19-2011, 09:53 PM   #162
Budasac
2005 WK 

ok. Finally installed these. The courtesy light function proved to be slightly more difficult then presumed. The factory intrerior light has a constant feed and a switched ground. So a little rewiring of the relay was necessary. I also didn't put the front strip on caus e I want to wait till I get the 4x front guard.

I mounted a switch to the left of the wheel by my cb so it would be easy to access from outside as well as inside. It's a SPDT switch so I can switch from on to off to courtesy(auto).

No pics of the install because the wife was rushing me so we could go out to dinner. I did take a quick pic and a little video though. Over all these lights are pretty cool. (good find Nate) But the remote function is really trick. Instantly grabs your attention in a parking lot.

Bumzo - The warm white will look like incandescent light. (like your interior lighting) In the vid look at the difference between the interior and exterior lighting. I like the crisp white light myself. Now that I have the HIDs and the LED underlighting I really need to change out the interior lights to match.
dscn4932.jpg  
Unread 11-19-2011, 10:31 PM   #163
Omelet
Evil Overlord!

2005 WK 

Nicely done! When I went to hook mine up to the interior light i figured out the same thing with the switched ground. I haven't bothered with it yet. What was your solution?

Bumzo - What he said^^^ From what I could tell from my initial research, they aren't as bright. Which is why I went with these. I wasn't sure how much light they were going to put down to the ground as it was, so the brighter the better!

Unread 11-19-2011, 10:44 PM   #164
Budasac
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by omelet View Post
Nicely done! When I went to hook mine up to the interior light i figured out the same thing with the switched ground. I haven't bothered with it yet. What was your solution?
I rewired the relay and switch.

1-Remove the ground wire and the switched wire from the relay.
2-Run a jumper wire from the hot feed on the relay to the terminal where the switched wire was.
3-Attach the switched wire to the ground terminal on the relay.
4-Back at the switch, remove the 12v feed going to the switch and attach to the courtesy light wire that shows ground when the light is on.

If you use a 3 position switch like I did the other terminal on the switch would be connected to a ground. Basically we're swapping the wires on the coil of the relay so instead of the coil always having a ground and being activated when it receives power, it instead always has power and is activated when you provide it with a ground through the switch.

If anyone wants a diagram let me know and I'll make one up and post it.
Unread 11-20-2011, 02:23 PM   #165
zeds_dead
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budasac

I rewired the relay and switch.

1-Remove the ground wire and the switched wire from the relay.
2-Run a jumper wire from the hot feed on the relay to the terminal where the switched wire was.
3-Attach the switched wire to the ground terminal on the relay.
4-Back at the switch, remove the 12v feed going to the switch and attach to the courtesy light wire that shows ground when the light is on.

If you use a 3 position switch like I did the other terminal on the switch would be connected to a ground. Basically we're swapping the wires on the coil of the relay so instead of the coil always having a ground and being activated when it receives power, it instead always has power and is activated when you provide it with a ground through the switch.

If anyone wants a diagram let me know and I'll make one up and post it.
Can you post one? If I hopefully get my lights from Hong Kong sometime this year I want to go the same route.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.