Omelet's Hidden Winch Build - Page 7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Omelet's Hidden Winch Build

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 06-01-2012, 08:33 PM   #91
BobG97
2005 WK 

That's what I ended up doing. I noticed that the bottom of the plate was against the bumper just above the opening on the bottom, I didn't end up using the 1/4" spacer plates, I fear that will push it too far down.

I just finished adjusting the angle for the fair lead mount and will bet it welded in the morning then it's time to bold it all in for good!

The specs were spot on, it went really quick!

BobG97 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-01-2012, 09:01 PM   #92
Omelet
Evil Overlord!

2005 WK 

Glad to hear! It's always easier and faster when it is all mapped out already. It took me forever to build

I would suggest using the 1/4" spacers to lower it a tad. It really depends on the winch you go with, but I needed that extra clearance over the top.

HEMI Club Member #31 - - - JEEP Makes It, HEMI Shakes It!!!
Omelet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-01-2012, 09:08 PM   #93
BobG97
2005 WK 

Yeah I really appreciate all of your hard work! Lol

As for the spacers, I have them made but won't make the final call until I install the winch. I'll post up a few pics once I have it all in place!
Unread 06-01-2012, 09:11 PM   #94
Omelet
Evil Overlord!

2005 WK 

Sweet man! Can't wait!

Unread 06-01-2012, 10:08 PM   #95
BobG97
2005 WK 

Here is the last pic I took today. It's a little further now, but that should bring back a few memories! Lol
image-3950479614.jpg  
Unread 06-01-2012, 10:36 PM   #96
Omelet
Evil Overlord!

2005 WK 

Oh yes! Good times

Unread 06-02-2012, 06:35 PM   #97
BobG97
2005 WK 

I finished phase one, now I need to get the winch in and install it. All I have left is the fair lead holes and mounting holes.

I did modify your design a hair. I didn't want to use the angle iron for the hood support so I made tabs on the back of the mount and straightened the support bars, then relocated them to the sides. It's very strong and does not move any.

I have to give you props, your detailed specs made it a breeze!
image-2354670994.jpg   image-3364386197.jpg  
Unread 06-02-2012, 10:39 PM   #98
Omelet
Evil Overlord!

2005 WK 

Awesome man! Looks great so far, now it just needs a winch

That is a fine addition you made, a little simpler. It probably doesn't need the angle iron, but I added it to give extra structural support. It wasn't just there for the hood latch/radiator support.

So I am curious, did you notice any improvement in handling? I could have sworn it felt more stiff and more responsive after the mod. I wouldn't be surprised since we replaced the flimsy stamped steel crossmember with a 1/4" plate steel one

Unread 06-02-2012, 11:40 PM   #99
BobG97
2005 WK 

I thought about the extra support but once the mount was fully bolted in place it felt really solid and like you said, going from the paper thin factory crossmember to the 1/4" monster, I feel confident it will hold!

As for the handling I haven't driven but about 3 miles and so far I didn't notice a change but I will keep an eye on it to see if it feels more responsive.

I'm stalking a few winches now, I'm sure I will have one bought in the next week or two.
Unread 11-26-2013, 06:17 AM   #100
94jeepman
Jager93

2005 WK 

Do the black hole cover things match up with the front of the winch plate? And did you angle it out to match up with the factory bumper or for the winch? I plan on doing this before I build my new bumper
KHAKI MEMBER #59

The WK mods: SC flashpaq 3870, flow master super 40, 3.5" X Factor leveling kit, 33" M/T baja claws, 17" pro comp wheels, one 12 inch subwoofer, rugged ridge tailight gaurds, rola rack with 18" extension
94jeepman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-26-2013, 10:38 PM   #101
Omelet
Evil Overlord!

2005 WK 

The black caps don't come out quite as far as the cradle, but that's only because the bumper cover curves and sticks out farthest in the middle. They are both right behind the bumper cover though. The front of the cradle where the fairlead mounts is angled to mate up with the back of the bumper. The face of the bumper isn't exactly perpendicular with the frame rails, so you have to angle the front to make up the difference.

Unread 12-09-2013, 01:09 PM   #102
ttusqrl
2005 WK 

Hey Nathan, quick question for you on your winch wiring. I read through your build thread a while ago, but I can't remember if you are running a dual battery setup, and if so, if you tried your winch on a single battery first. How was the pull? Did you notice any ill effects?
Unread 12-09-2013, 02:44 PM   #103
Omelet
Evil Overlord!

2005 WK 

No I'm running just a single Yellow Top 34/78. This was one reason for getting the EP9 as it has such a low draw while pulling. Last time I used it I have lights on, AC blasting, and it pulled very smooth, not even skipping a beat.

Unread 12-09-2013, 02:54 PM   #104
ttusqrl
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omelet View Post
No I'm running just a single Yellow Top 34/78. This was one reason for getting the EP9 as it has such a low draw while pulling. Last time I used it I have lights on, AC blasting, and it pulled very smooth, not even skipping a beat.
Good to know, thanks for the quick update (and not making me search through all of your build pages!).

We'll see if my current battery can handle it, and if not, I'll be replacing with a Sears Diehard Platinum most likely.
Unread 02-21-2014, 08:41 PM   #105
CamelMikeWK
2005 WK 

Nate, Im planning on starting this in the near future. do you think diamond plating would work ok? it is .25" steel. im not too savvy with welding and fabbing (yet) but im going to be making it with a buddy who is, just thought id ask because i found a pretty big sheet (36" x 48" x 1/4") for 75 bucks.
CamelMikeWK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.