Omelet's Hidden Winch Build - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Omelet's Hidden Winch Build

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 12-05-2011, 08:41 PM   #76
Omelet
Evil Overlord!

2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumblebox
SICK!!!! very classy and subtle.
Thanks a lot Bud! I have been thoroughly enjoying it

Mattydipps - It is my son's Power Wheels Jeep Hurricane in the back of my WK!

HEMI Club Member #31 - - - JEEP Makes It, HEMI Shakes It!!!
Omelet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2011, 09:56 PM   #77
JeepN4KC
Keep on Jeepin on........

Hey Omelet, I was lookin over your onboard air install and I was curious what you ended up doing with the coolant reservoir. Did you leave it up by the fire wall on the passenger side with bungy? Does that location present any problems?

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
Sept 2013 Cherokee of the Month
'07 WK with some other stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
'11 KK with mostly stock stuff
'06WK our first Jeep with stock stuff - totalled and gone
JeepN4KC is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2011, 10:32 PM   #78
Omelet
Evil Overlord!

2005 WK 

It stayed that way for a while with no problems. I recently relocated it aft of the tank where I should have mounted it originally, but I did not have a drill that would fit ( a problem I recently resolved ). Here is where it sits now.

Unread 01-03-2012, 09:42 PM   #79
grebesjeep
2005 WK 

I have all the steel cut!!! Just need to get the balls to cut the frame. Any tips or changes you would have done since you have had this in use for a while???
05’ WK GC, Hemi, REC/VES, 2.25” RR lift, 265/70/17 Bridgestone Revo 2’s, Rubicon wheels, k&N CAI, Magnaflow exhaust, Factory underbody steel skid, Factory transfer steel skid, Homemade front skid, Homemade rocksliders. Commander shift nob, Nav in motion cheat, Rola roof rack, Bilstein's, Rear air bags and remote compressor, factory projector/HID retrofit, front and rear SRT8 sway bars, chrome front tow hooks….thats it for now.
grebesjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2012, 07:01 AM   #80
Jeep Brian

That is by far one of the slickest mods I've seen in a long time!!!!!!!!! Nice job!!!!!!!

Hers: 14 Dodge Durango Citadel Hemi

68 Firebird 350 4 spd #'s matching
Jeep Brian is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2012, 09:56 AM   #81
Omelet
Evil Overlord!

2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by grebesjeep View Post
I have all the steel cut!!! Just need to get the balls to cut the frame. Any tips or changes you would have done since you have had this in use for a while???
Well what are you waiting for!!! I can't think of anything I would change. Everything seems to have worked out very nicely. I am still liking my design even after seeing what some professional companies have come up with. The benefit to making something like this yourself is that you can tweak it and design it just the way you want and for your specific application. When you are making it for the masses you have to compromise in places to please everyone. Just take your time! Measure everything multiple times before cutting or welding to minimize mistakes. Be sure to post up your progress and finished shots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep Brian View Post
That is by far one of the slickest mods I've seen in a long time!!!!!!!!! Nice job!!!!!!!
Thanks a lot Bud!!!

Unread 03-23-2012, 12:40 AM   #82
98_TJ_1941
1998 TJ Wrangler 

dude your a ****ing genius! i want to build a wk now
Unread 03-23-2012, 10:24 AM   #83
Omelet
Evil Overlord!

2005 WK 

Thanks Bud! And you should, they are great Jeeps!!!

Unread 03-23-2012, 01:26 PM   #84
BobG97
2005 WK 

I love the idea, two main questions have popped into my head while reading your build.
1. Is the matrix necessary or did you already have it and decided to use it? Seems to me that the plates that mount to the tow bloom location are all that would really be required and should be easy to build.
2. Could you mount the lead to the exterior of the bumper cover and minimize the hole cut in the bumper cover? I was thinking either weld the nuts to the back of the plate or weld in studs and use nuts on the exterior. I'm just not sure about the look of the studs!

Overall it is very impressive and I will be adding this to my todo list!
BobG97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2012, 05:20 PM   #85
98_TJ_1941
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omelet View Post
Thanks Bud! And you should, they are great Jeeps!!!
i always loved the wj but then i saw your wk and i had to have one
Unread 03-23-2012, 09:00 PM   #86
Omelet
Evil Overlord!

2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobG97
I love the idea, two main questions have popped into my head while reading your build.
1. Is the matrix necessary or did you already have it and decided to use it? Seems to me that the plates that mount to the tow bloom location are all that would really be required and should be easy to build.
2. Could you mount the lead to the exterior of the bumper cover and minimize the hole cut in the bumper cover? I was thinking either weld the nuts to the back of the plate or weld in studs and use nuts on the exterior. I'm just not sure about the look of the studs!

Overall it is very impressive and I will be adding this to my todo list!
I already had the Matrix and wanted to incorporate it into the front, but no it is not necessary. It does not add anything to the front that you need to have. I wanted it for the recovery points (you can use the factory hooks or the S4xC shackles in its place) and the use of light mounts. I decided to mount the controller plug to the top of it, but that can go anywhere.

Yes you can mount it to the outside and not have to cut a hole in the bumper. I explained why I did it this way in my build thread a second ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98_TJ_1941
i always loved the wj but then i saw your wk and i had to have one
Yes you do! Everyone needs one! I have my sister and her husband convinced to trade in their 4Runner for a WK. Every time I go to see them they say they will, just haven't done it yet.

Unread 03-24-2012, 12:02 PM   #87
BobG97
2005 WK 

Yeah, sorry about asking the same question in two threads but I wanted to ask about the matrix too . It's a really good write up, I hope I can do it justice when I add it to my WK!
Unread 03-24-2012, 06:05 PM   #88
Omelet
Evil Overlord!

2005 WK 

Thanks man! I know it probably isn't the best writeup out there, but I had to do it all on my phone. So it is what it is

Unread 06-01-2012, 04:32 PM   #89
BobG97
2005 WK 

Do you have the specs for where you drilled the bolt holes to mount it to the frame? Also how far forward did you mount it, against the back of the bumper cover?
Unread 06-01-2012, 06:27 PM   #90
Omelet
Evil Overlord!

2005 WK 

Sorry I don't have specs on the holes, I just lined it up where I wanted it and drilled. I had it sitting all the way back about an 1/8" away from the radiator which put the leading edge right against the back of the bumper cover.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.