Omelet's Hidden Winch Build - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Omelet's Hidden Winch Build

JK Front Axle TrussARTEC JK UNDER ARMOR - 4 door Bellypan KitsPoison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955

Unread 08-30-2011, 05:12 PM   #61
Omelet
Evil Overlord!

2005 WK 

No problem Bud! Steal away!!!

I tried to give as much detail as I could for just this reason. So that others could copy it and make their own. If you decide to make one please feel free to modify the design if you find something that works better. And don't forget to share!

HEMI Club Member #31 - - - JEEP Makes It, HEMI Shakes It!!!
Omelet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2011, 06:49 PM   #62
Acidcold
2005 WK 

Nath, If you had the money for a bumper, would you go with one? I am on the fence with this.. Add more weight to this thing or just mount a light weight winch like you did.
Acidcold is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2011, 07:33 PM   #63
mayor_bloom
2005 WK 

You know you want to buy it. It's calling you.........carlos......drive to ohio and buy me.

Nathan. Sorry had to do it. We can now return to your awesome winch bumper
THE WK BLUE CREW #14
MODS: CUrrent: ome hd (front and rear stacked), piaa lights, 275/70/17 silent amours, xd 17" rim 5.3bs, overland wood trim/steering wheel, kenwood dnx7100 nav, 800 watt power inverter in boot, 4x guard side rails, wh rear bumper, 08+ face lift w/hid's, front tow hooks
For Sale: Saguaro wk00 front winch bumper, pm me for details
mayor_bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2011, 07:56 PM   #64
Omelet
Evil Overlord!

2005 WK 

That is a tuff question...

I love the fact that it saves weight over a whole bumper and a winch. I also like that it sits tight to the frame and doesn't stick out a mile.

As much as I like the look of the stock bumper, I like the look of an aftermarket bumper more. Looks a lot more aggressive. I also like that an aftermarket bumper would give me greater approach angles at the corners. However, trimming the bumper would yield similar results. I just haven't taken the time to do it yet. I like that a steel or aluminum bumper would be a lot more trail friendly when snuggling up to rocks.

I do enjoy that the Jeep looks like it could have come from the factory with this setup though. It goes with my plan of having a very capable off road WK that still looks classy when cleaned up. I think a big steel bumper would kind of take away from that a little.

I often see pix of WKs with steel bumpers and think how good that would look if I made it into a low profile bumper and integrated my winch plate into it, but then I think of how much unwanted weight that would add and decide against it. I think the only two things I would consider are 1. Make my own trying to keep it light weight and strong but still have it look clean or 2. If S4xC comes out with a non winch bumper that is low profile, have them make me one in aluminum and then integrate my winch plate into it.

But that's just me

Unread 08-30-2011, 08:15 PM   #65
Acidcold
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayor_bloom View Post
You know you want to buy it. It's calling you.........carlos......drive to ohio and buy me.

Nathan. Sorry had to do it. We can now return to your awesome winch bumper
LMAO!!! I do look at your add every freaking day on JG and think to myself.. maybe I should use my MOD power and hide it till the end of september! lol
Unread 09-05-2011, 04:19 PM   #66
clbailey
2005 WK 

Omelet can you post up pics and a quick bit of info on your on board air system?
clbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2011, 04:30 PM   #67
Omelet
Evil Overlord!

2005 WK 

Yes I can, but first if you click on it in my sig it will take you to where I originally posted it. If you need more info past that let me know!

Unread 09-05-2011, 05:10 PM   #68
clbailey
2005 WK 

Yea I saw that after I posted. So does it go to a tank or just straight to the hose and it constantly fills?
Unread 09-05-2011, 05:29 PM   #69
Omelet
Evil Overlord!

2005 WK 

Right now I just connect a hose to it and it constantly fills unless it reaches max pressure (like when you disconnect the hose to move to the next tire). I just installed a tank, but I haven't ran a line all the way to the compressor yet. Hoping to do that this week. Yesterday it took me maybe 2 min per tire to go from 20psi to 40psi, so it works pretty quick.

Unread 09-05-2011, 05:33 PM   #70
clbailey
2005 WK 

Im cool with out having a tank... unless I can do what you guys are doing with the spare tire area. I think I will go with a different place to mount mine than you did. Im mainly using it to blow up stuff at the lake and tires after letting air out for off road use.
Unread 09-05-2011, 05:36 PM   #71
Omelet
Evil Overlord!

2005 WK 

Ya I picked that spot just so it would be out of sight and out of mind! Eventually I will probably make a bracket for it to bolt to against the fire wall. But it is fine where it is for now.

Unread 09-05-2011, 07:16 PM   #72
Acidcold
2005 WK 

So Nathan, Is the winch cradle welded on to the WK's frame or just bolted? I am really considering this over the heavy bumper! I could have a shop cut me all the pieces (And I was thinking of using 3/16'' over 1/4'' your thoughts? or 1/4'' winch mount plate and the side pieces in 3/16'' to help with weight) and weld them for me so when I have free time all I would have to do is cut the crossmember and attach the cradle. This option is so much cheaper and I would have to worry about rusting the bumper!
Unread 09-05-2011, 08:01 PM   #73
Omelet
Evil Overlord!

2005 WK 

I made it so I could just bolt it in. That way if I ever upgrade to a newer WK I can take it out and put it in the next one. There is no reason why you couldn't weld yours in though. I am not what you would call an expert, but 3/16" would probably work fine. It is a boxed winch plate so it has plenty of strength. I would ask a more knowledgeable person about it though. I just saw that 1/4" is what most plates are made out of and that was also what I got for free, so that's what I used!

Unread 12-05-2011, 07:14 PM   #74
rumblebox

SICK!!!! very classy and subtle.
rumblebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2011, 07:30 PM   #75
mattydipps
2006 WK 

hey omelet, i know its wayy off topic but what is your avatar?

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.