Omelet's Hidden Winch Build - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Omelet's Hidden Winch Build

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 06-09-2011, 11:24 PM   #16
Omelet
Evil Overlord!

2005 WK 

The controller plug I ran across the bumper with the temp sensor wires to the drivers side of the Matrix. I filed out the top large hole and pressed in the plug. Then ran the wires straight back under the grill.

In order to access the clutch lever I cut a hole in the top of the grill. Down side it that you have to pop the hood to get to it, but this way it looks clean with no visible holes. Plus let's face it, this is a Jeep with QD2! How often will I be stuck and have to access the clutch lever!

Looking straight down you can also see I had to trim one side of the lever for it to turn without hitting the grill. It still works perfectly fine this way. The lever is very easy to reach and manipulate.

HEMI Club Member #31 - - - JEEP Makes It, HEMI Shakes It!!!
Omelet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-09-2011, 11:25 PM   #17
Omelet
Evil Overlord!

2005 WK 

Last thing to do was instal the line. I did not want to use the heavy steel cable that the winch came with. So I acquired 100' of synthetic line. I bought 18' of VX Fire Sleeve and installed it on the end of the line. This sleeve will withstand up to 700 degrees. Even though I have heard that the EP9 works fine with synthetic and will not get hot enough to adversely affect it I wanted over kill. I also used 20' of 1" tube webbing for a chafe guard.

I secured the end of the line to the drum and prepared to spool it in. I needed to do this with weight applied so I decided to pull myself up my drive way using my Beast of an XJ as my anchor. The problem was that my drive way is only 50' long which meant that I needed to use a snatch block. I ran the line from the WK at the end of my driveway, up to the XJ through a snatch block, and back the the WK attached to the Matrix. It worked Beautifully!

Once the line was in and attached to the Matrix.

A shot of the winch nestled in place hiding safely behind the bumper.

Unread 06-09-2011, 11:26 PM   #18
Omelet
Evil Overlord!

2005 WK 

Lastly I decided to remove the Superwinch bubble sticker off the solenoid box and applied it to the bumper. It gives a hint of the Awesomeness lying in wait!

I hope this has been beneficial and knowledgable for those of you hoping to do the same.

Unread 06-10-2011, 04:55 AM   #19
CmmdrDan

Awesome man. You did a great job with it. We can all tell how happy you are with it! And you should be. As always we are waiting for the next project.

Sent from my thumbs.
CmmdrDan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-10-2011, 05:31 AM   #20
LJS8510
Web Wheeler

2008 WK 

Looks fantastic!

08 CRD @ 163,000
OME HD Lift about 3"
4xGuard Rails
Stillens
AEV Wheels 5.75 BS
JBA UCA's
GSA 255/75/17 32.1" (no bolt cut/no pinch weld)
spare 265/70/17 stock location
Lockpic, 100,000 club
LJS8510 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-10-2011, 05:59 AM   #21
cmdrjim
2006 XK Commander 

Have you thought about offering a kit to sell?
Unread 06-10-2011, 07:15 AM   #22
JSajczuk
2008 WK 

nice nice nice!
2008 WK Limited: OEM Skid Plates/4xGuard Armor: Belly Pan, Front Guard, Diff Cover/Saguaro 4x: front recovery shackles/Lift: DayStar 2" BB/Wheels MB CHAOS 5 - 8.5x17 w/pos 25 offset/Tires: Hankook Dayna Pro ATm 265/70r17/ Front and Rear PinchWeld Mod./ Now a 'little LESS' Limited!
JSajczuk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-10-2011, 08:04 AM   #23
ogie
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdrjim View Post
Have you thought about offering a kit to sell?
Seconded. I would love to do this.
Unread 06-10-2011, 08:43 AM   #24
djeep05
2005 WK 

Awesome job Omelet. Great write up. I wish I was brave enough to cut into my WK.
[COLOR="Red"][B]HEMI Club Member #54[/B][/COLOR]
[COLOR="Silver"][B]Silver WK Club Member #8[/B][/COLOR]
djeep05 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-10-2011, 09:19 AM   #25
CraigWK
2005 WK 

I just peed a little. That is great work!!
Unread 06-10-2011, 09:27 AM   #26
Omelet
Evil Overlord!

2005 WK 

Lol! Thanks Guys!

As of right now I am not planning on building another, which is why I have given you all the info and measurements, but I don't know what the future will bring.

Unread 06-10-2011, 09:44 AM   #27
criket
2005 WK 

What name would you call it by omelet? I knida like "Western Omelet Industries" since you are in CA and your jf name.
2005 | WK | Khaki | 3.7 | QT1 | OME HD Front Struts | Rusty's 2" lift in Rear w/ Monroe load levelers (F150 version) | 265/70 Nitto Terra Grapplers | 17" Moabs | 1.5" wheel spacers | Pinch weld mod Rear fender trim mod | 4xG Matrix w/ reciever hitch | 4xG Belly guard | SOLID Diff cover | Cobra CB radio | 4xG antenna mount | Rola roof
criket is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-10-2011, 09:53 AM   #28
Mainsail
2005 WK 

Wow! Where has 4XGuard been? It doesn’t seem likely that any company will take it up and fab a kit now that the WK is obsolete, but you’ve already done the grunt work. Great work and really great write-up!
Unread 06-10-2011, 10:06 AM   #29
Omelet
Evil Overlord!

2005 WK 

Criket - I like it! I am going to keep it in mind!

This is something 4xGuard will never make. Their solution was the Matrix with integrated hitch to accept a portable winch. It was just not what I wanted. This is something that would be difficult to sell as a kit. There are always slight differences in every vehicle. I made this thing fit perfectly inside the frame rails in place of the stock crossmember. One solution might be to have a place cut all the steel for you in the measurements I listed and then either do the welding yourself or have a shop do it for you.

Doing all the work yourself is quite beneficial. The steel was free for me so I paid for cutting discs, welding wire, and bolts. Cost to me including the winch was about $650.

Unread 06-10-2011, 10:14 AM   #30
hoaxci5
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by criket View Post
What name would you call it by omelet? I knida like "Western Omelet Industries" since you are in CA and your jf name.
I think it needs to be Western Omelet Enterprises so it can be said out loud as WOAH!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.