Omelet's Headlamp Project! - Page 12 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Omelet's Headlamp Project!

Labor Day Sale!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 03-21-2014, 09:10 AM   #166
Billbo1970
2009 WK 

There are 3 wires going to the forward facing marker/signal light (ground, power, and blinker). You'll need to tap into the ground and power wires for what we're wanting. As far as opening the headlight housing goes; use your oven to soften the glue so that you can pop it open. Omelet says to put it in and out of the oven for 15-20mins at a time, as many times as needed to get it fully separated, and set your oven to 225.

I'm also thinking that I'll only circle 1 lens, the large one for low-beams. I was thinking it might look stupid if I'm circling the high-beam lamp without a light on inside of the circle. It would also require a smaller strip & thus save a few bucks

Billbo1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2014, 07:56 AM   #167
hxdrummerxc
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billbo1970 View Post
I've had to put this on the back burner for now... life & all that
I feel you.
Ive been thinking about doing a headlight project for over a year, and every time I realize I only have a two day window before I will need my headlights again. (I work midnight's)
08' Limited 5.7L QTII | Hemi Club #76 | Saguaro Front Shackles | Blacked out front grille, Blacked out stock chrome wheels | Bwoody 4" Short Ram Velocity Intake | Flowmaster Super 44 & resonator delete | Superchips Vivid |
hxdrummerxc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2014, 08:05 AM   #168
hxdrummerxc
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billbo1970 View Post
There are 3 wires going to the forward facing marker/signal light (ground, power, and blinker). You'll need to tap into the ground and power wires for what we're wanting. As far as opening the headlight housing goes; use your oven to soften the glue so that you can pop it open. Omelet says to put it in and out of the oven for 15-20mins at a time, as many times as needed to get it fully separated, and set your oven to 225.

I'm also thinking that I'll only circle 1 lens, the large one for low-beams. I was thinking it might look stupid if I'm circling the high-beam lamp without a light on inside of the circle. It would also require a smaller strip & thus save a few bucks
Thanks for the tip on the wiring. I actually tried to get my housings apart about a year ago with the oven technique and t didn't work out so well. I have read that the 2008 and newer stock headlights use a stronger adhesive than the 05-07 models. And I put it in the oven 5 times, and still cracked a piece of the housing. So I got a little scared and put some new adhesive on the spot I did break free and I put them back on my jeep. lol

But next time, im gonna go big and just get the damn heat gun out. Either im gonna win or the headlights are gonna crack, Not gonna give up next time. I just got to find the time.

The only other problem I was thinking about with the led strip, is the stock halogen housing low beams aren't full circles like the stock projector housings. They are like 3/4 circles. The Halogens are like Cc cC and the Projectors are like Oc cO

example:

Halogen:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2008-2010-Je...ff8f7d&vxp=mtr

Projector:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/JEEP-GRAND-C...e436bb&vxp=mtr

So the projector housings low beams are full circle. Which would be easy to to circle with led strips. But my headlights are the Halogen, and I can't figure out how I can run the strips to still look right with the damn 3/4 "C" circles.
08' Limited 5.7L QTII | Hemi Club #76 | Saguaro Front Shackles | Blacked out front grille, Blacked out stock chrome wheels | Bwoody 4" Short Ram Velocity Intake | Flowmaster Super 44 & resonator delete | Superchips Vivid |
Unread 03-28-2014, 08:36 AM   #169
Billbo1970
2009 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hxdrummerxc View Post
The only other problem I was thinking about with the led strip, is the stock halogen housing low beams aren't full circles like the stock projector housings. They are like 3/4 circles. The Halogens are like Cc cC and the Projectors are like Oc cO

example:

Halogen:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2008-2010-Je...ff8f7d&vxp=mtr

Projector:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/JEEP-GRAND-C...e436bb&vxp=mtr

So the projector housings low beams are full circle. Which would be easy to to circle with led strips. But my headlights are the Halogen, and I can't figure out how I can run the strips to still look right with the damn 3/4 "C" circles.
Hmm, I hadn't looked at them closely enough to realize that... I have an '09, so same boat as you. Maybe you could dremel thin lines in the side of that curve, to route the LEDs through & create a circle?

I wouldn't do a 'bent' circle, but I'd do the C shape... that seems to be common on factory LED headlight rings anyway.
Billbo1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2014, 01:01 PM   #170
hxdrummerxc
2008 WK 

Yea, so I was thinking the only way to do this would be to cut holes right where the circle ends (when the circle hits the other circle) to run the rest of the led strip behind the light. But that would only solve the problem if you wanted to put the halo's one ONE circle and not both.

I sort-of want to do them both Halo's. So I was thinking I could use two LED strips per headlight. One for each C circle. Have them both circle the C and terminate through the holes where the C ends. And then both led strips then connecting at the same power source etc. Thats pretty much how the Oracle rings install also. I believe that is where the instruct to punch a hole to run their wire through.
Unread 04-02-2014, 06:27 PM   #171
hxdrummerxc
2008 WK 

Ok I have a plan for it now. I just have to wait until next paycheck.

Hey Omelet, can you explain how you connected the LED's to the power? Im not too good with electrical wiring. I already know what strips im gonna buy. But im not sure what I need in order to connect the strips to the power. The strips are 12v normal LED flexible strips. I figured tapping into the ground and power wire if pretty straight forward. But do I need any sort of power resistor or anything. Or can I splice these strips right into the ground/power?

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.