Omelet's Headlamp Project! - Page 11 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Omelet's Headlamp Project!

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 11-24-2013, 10:23 AM   #151
tfgnt16
2009 WK 

I'm not sure if this was mentioned previously in the thread, but do the '08+ HID projectors come with the leveling motors housed inside the units, or are the a separate system? Just curious to know if you can get projectors with or without the motors or if they're a one size fits all part.

Incredible job by the way, with the headlights and your entire WK build!

Unread 11-24-2013, 01:24 PM   #152
Omelet
Evil Overlord!

2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94jeepman View Post
Are projectors just a housing you put a bulb in or is it the bulb?
I don't know much about the projectors. And I'm trying to decide whether to do projectors or hids
Projectors are what you attach a HID bulb to that will correctly focus and project a proper HID beam. If you are planning to run HIDs then get a set of projectors (either '08-'10 headlamps like I did, or do a projector retrofit) That is the only correct and legal way to have HID headlights in our Jeeps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfgnt16 View Post
I'm not sure if this was mentioned previously in the thread, but do the '08+ HID projectors come with the leveling motors housed inside the units, or are the a separate system? Just curious to know if you can get projectors with or without the motors or if they're a one size fits all part.

If you get an OEM set then they will most likely come with motors, but the aftermarket replacements do not. Either one you can manually adjust the beam cut off, but if your Jeep came with factory HIDs then you will need the motors to have them work properly.

HEMI Club Member #31 - - - JEEP Makes It, HEMI Shakes It!!!
Omelet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2013, 01:45 PM   #153
94jeepman
Jager93

2005 WK 

The only other thing to do is the spacer under the lights with the 08+? And everything else is plug and play
KHAKI MEMBER #59

The WK mods: SC flashpaq 3870, flow master super 40, 3.5" X Factor leveling kit, 33" M/T baja claws, 17" pro comp wheels, one 12 inch subwoofer, rugged ridge tailight gaurds, rola rack with 18" extension
94jeepman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2013, 01:56 PM   #154
Omelet
Evil Overlord!

2005 WK 

Not plug and play. You have to do some wiring on the headlamps and make or buy a relay harness. It's all fairly simple though if you are at all familiar with wiring.

Unread 11-24-2013, 01:59 PM   #155
Omelet
Evil Overlord!

2005 WK 

Also to keep this thread up to date, here's a link over to my build thread where I have revised my headlamps:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/o...l#post17927402

Unread 11-24-2013, 02:41 PM   #156
94jeepman
Jager93

2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfgnt16 View Post

Do the leveling motors level them automatically?
KHAKI MEMBER #59

The WK mods: SC flashpaq 3870, flow master super 40, 3.5" X Factor leveling kit, 33" M/T baja claws, 17" pro comp wheels, one 12 inch subwoofer, rugged ridge tailight gaurds, rola rack with 18" extension
Unread 11-24-2013, 05:26 PM   #157
Omelet
Evil Overlord!

2005 WK 

Only if you have the rest of the system to support it. Basically if it didn't come on your Jeep, then you wont have the auto function.

Unread 11-25-2013, 04:44 PM   #158
94jeepman
Jager93

2005 WK 

Ok I've Google everything I can think of and can't find the projectors I decided to just retro fit mine
KHAKI MEMBER #59

Unread 11-25-2013, 07:39 PM   #159
Omelet
Evil Overlord!

2005 WK 

The set I used was off ebay, but the company has a website too. It was something like A&M auto parts or something like that.

Unread 11-26-2013, 10:23 AM   #160
tfgnt16
2009 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94jeepman View Post
Do the leveling motors level them automatically?
Just as Omelet said, if the Jeep didn't come from the factory with the HIDs then you don't have the system. There are two sensors, both on the right side, one next to the front axle spring and one next to the rear axle spring. These sensors are connected to a control unit beneath the right headlight. Technically, this system is supposed to adjust the pitch of the light beam in accordance with the angle of the Jeep's suspension. But more than not I find the system is quite quirky, especially in the snow and rain. Sometimes the headlights point too far down and won't adjust to "normal" height. Considering disconnecting the main control unit, but I'm not sure if it will throw a code or not; there isn't much information about this whole system.
Unread 11-26-2013, 09:13 PM   #161
Omelet
Evil Overlord!

2005 WK 

So here is an ebay link to a set like I bought:

http://pages.ebay.com/motors/link/?n...d=131029972728

You will also need a set of D1S bulbs (I'd highly recommend a set 4300k or max 5000k for the best output)

You will also need a set of Valeo 6G ballasts which you can usually find on ebay for about $50.

Anything else you want to do, besides wiring them in with a relay harness, is all extra.

Unread 11-26-2013, 09:45 PM   #162
94jeepman
Jager93

2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omelet View Post
So here is an ebay link to a set like I bought:

http://pages.ebay.com/motors/link/?n...d=131029972728

You will also need a set of D1S bulbs (I'd highly recommend a set 4300k or max 5000k for the best output)

You will also need a set of Valeo 6G ballasts which you can usually find on ebay for about $50.

Anything else you want to do, besides wiring them in with a relay harness, is all extra.
Okay thanks for your help
KHAKI MEMBER #59

Unread 03-04-2014, 09:35 AM   #163
Billbo1970
2009 WK 

Hello Omelet,

I love that LED addition to your headlights!

I want to do it to mine too, but slightly different. I want to have LEDs circling both reflectors, tied into the "blinker" to come on with the accessory lights turned on, but to not blink when using the turning signal. I have experience installing/wiring stereo equipment, but no real electrical wiring knowledge. I'm guessing you run the wires to the blinker wire, and there's probably a 3rd wire that interrupts the flow of electricity to cause the blink when you're turning?

What would be the easiest way to do this, and do you recommend anyone in particular to buy the strips from?

Billbo1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2014, 08:18 AM   #164
hxdrummerxc
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billbo1970 View Post
Hello Omelet,

I love that LED addition to your headlights!

I want to do it to mine too, but slightly different. I want to have LEDs circling both reflectors, tied into the "blinker" to come on with the accessory lights turned on, but to not blink when using the turning signal. I have experience installing/wiring stereo equipment, but no real electrical wiring knowledge. I'm guessing you run the wires to the blinker wire, and there's probably a 3rd wire that interrupts the flow of electricity to cause the blink when you're turning?

What would be the easiest way to do this, and do you recommend anyone in particular to buy the strips from?

Did you ever figure this out?

I was sitting here trying to think of a cheaper way to get halo's for mine. I was thinking about the same thing, using a flexible led strip like Omelet's and just wrapping it around both circles. But I would just want white, and NOT to blink with the turn indicator.

Oracle is way overpriced. $200+ for 4 LED circles. NO THANKS, talk about 100% profit.

Also Omelet, Where did you get the led strips from?
08' Limited 5.7L QTII | Hemi Club #76 | Saguaro Front Shackles | Blacked out front grille, Blacked out stock chrome wheels | Bwoody 4" Short Ram Velocity Intake | Flowmaster Super 44 & resonator delete | Superchips Vivid |
hxdrummerxc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2014, 09:06 AM   #165
Billbo1970
2009 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hxdrummerxc View Post
Did you ever figure this out?

I was sitting here trying to think of a cheaper way to get halo's for mine. I was thinking about the same thing, using a flexible led strip like Omelet's and just wrapping it around both circles. But I would just want white, and NOT to blink with the turn indicator.

Oracle is way overpriced. $200+ for 4 LED circles. NO THANKS, talk about 100% profit.

Also Omelet, Where did you get the led strips from?
I've had to put this on the back burner for now... life & all that
Billbo1970 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.