Omelet's Build Thread (aka The Bison)! - Page 98 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Omelet's Build Thread (aka The Bison)!

SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon ZipIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 10-25-2012, 05:15 PM   #1456
Valpacer

2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omelet View Post
I got a spare front drive shaft in the mail today!

Youll need another one! At least the petrols have a uni at the transfer end, mines a CV there.

Looks good mate.

2007 WH Grand Cherokee CRD (Yup, RHD Australia)- 3" Exhaust, GDE Flash Tune, CRDSTU/SL Hybrid Lift & bash Plates, 4xGuard Rock Rails, Saguaro F & R Bars, RCV's, Warn 9.5cti-s, AEV Saverge Rims, Nitto Mud Grapplers, Snorkel, Custom Rear Drawers, On Board Air, BullyDog Monitor, Dual Batteries - Build Thread - YouTube Vids
Valpacer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-25-2012, 06:37 PM   #1457
blizzboy283
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omelet
The 1 1/4" spacers worked fine, its not until you get down to a 1" spacer that you might have issues with the stock lugs. I say might because at that point it comes down to what wheel you are using. Some of the OEM wheels (like the Moabs) have a recess in the mounting face where the lugs can protrude into.
Still looking good Nate!

I can attest to the 1' wheel spacer dilemma. The chrome moduflex wheels had to be adapted when I had the 1' spacers on. I switched to 1.25' spidertrax.
05 WK LTD 5.7L Hemi QD II Midnight Blue Pearl, Blue WK Club member #30
Intune, AFE Stage 2 CAI, BT Catch Can, Gibson Cat-back, OME HD, 255/75/17 BFG KM1s, 1.25" Spidertrax, LED Interior, Reverse & Tail Lights, 3/4" Grille, Chrome Fuel Door & handles, SRT8 Pedals, Taylor Shorties, XK knob, 4xGuard Front 4 & Rear Diff.
blizzboy283 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-27-2012, 09:11 AM   #1458
theducttapegod

Quote:
Wow, the whole thing? In one sitting?! Thanks for taking the time. I hope you got some good ideas and possibly inspiration to transform your own Jeep

I do not have a WK. I am considering getting one. I am looking at either an '06 4.7 limited or an '05 hemi limited. I need to sell a TJ before I can buy anything. I have the normal question, longevity of the motor because I am looking at 80-100k miles, mileage, ease of upgrades, and fancy pants changes.

I am working 18 hour days all week. I have one more left after today.
theducttapegod is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-27-2012, 09:46 AM   #1459
BobG97
2005 WK 

Speaking from experience, I've had 3 TJs (all heavily modified) and I changed to an 05 Hemi Limited and I have a hard time imagining going back to a TJ. Make sure you get a QuadraDrive II system and you will be very happy!
BobG97 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-27-2012, 09:57 AM   #1460
theducttapegod

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobG97 View Post
Speaking from experience, I've had 3 TJs (all heavily modified) and I changed to an 05 Hemi Limited and I have a hard time imagining going back to a TJ. Make sure you get a QuadraDrive II system and you will be very happy!

There is a very good chance I will not be offroading this WK if I end up getting it. I will do enough lift to fit some 32's and then leave it alone. No armor, no fancy bumpers. My TJ has 5.75'' of lift, 35s, lots of lockers, and armor. It is a great wheeling rig. But my ZJ has seen better days. I plan to do a good chunk of mods in this thread. I like the LEDs under the jeep, probably do a gobi rack or some knock off, the A pillar gauge pod, and some of the fancy pants head light painting and LED things. And paint up the grill.

I am going to pick up a YJ and 4 link it front and rear for wheeling. Tube fenders and minimal lift. That is the goal at least.
Unread 10-27-2012, 11:33 AM   #1461
BobG97
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducttapegod

There is a very good chance I will not be offroading this WK if I end up getting it. I will do enough lift to fit some 32's and then leave it alone. No armor, no fancy bumpers. My TJ has 5.75'' of lift, 35s, lots of lockers, and armor. It is a great wheeling rig. But my ZJ has seen better days. I plan to do a good chunk of mods in this thread. I like the LEDs under the jeep, probably do a gobi rack or some knock off, the A pillar gauge pod, and some of the fancy pants head light painting and LED things. And paint up the grill.

I am going to pick up a YJ and 4 link it front and rear for wheeling. Tube fenders and minimal lift. That is the goal at least.
That was similar to my initial plan too, but after one trip to the trails in my stock WK i was hooked. the QDII System performs so well its amazing. I did decide follow Omelet's lead on the hidden winch on my WK (which is awesome btw) and im still running stock suspension and tires, I can't wait to see how it goes once it's lifted!
Unread 10-27-2012, 11:46 AM   #1462
theducttapegod

Quote:
That was similar to my initial plan too, but after one trip to the trails in my stock WK i was hooked. the QDII System performs so well its amazing. I did decide follow Omelet's lead on the hidden winch on my WK (which is awesome btw) and im still running stock suspension and tires, I can't wait to see how it goes once it's lifted!

I completely understand that feeling, but I have a jeep that can run red level trails now. I like to stay on the lower level blacks and blues. There is very little challenge in the way I wheel. The last few times I was almost never in 4wd. I just like to be in the woods. My last 3 or 4 wheeling trips have been more of a newbie or stocker trips. Any time you run the level your rig can handle you risk damage. And at 180 some miles to get home, it is not fun thinking you may break. I would like a WK to carry my daughter in, and have a YJ/TJ/CJ to wheel.
Unread 10-27-2012, 06:29 PM   #1463
NGreen
2008 WK 

You ever decide what you were going to do for your Gobi?
NGreen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-27-2012, 06:30 PM   #1464
jjt250
2007 WK 

Quote:
How does your stock suspension handle the added weight up front? Can you notice it at all?
Unread 10-27-2012, 08:09 PM   #1465
BobG97
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjt250

How does your stock suspension handle the added weight up front? Can you notice it at all?
I didn't notice a drop in height or any hits on handling... I even hit a deer at 65mph and it didn't hurt the mount at all.
Unread 10-28-2012, 02:35 PM   #1466
christiang26
2009 WK 

Hi omelet, are you still using the limiting straps?, how long do you think they should be for a moded superlift? Because my rear is sitting on 26" hub to fender and the front in 24.8" I am going to install a rusty 0.5" spacer in front but want to stop the down travel at 28" hub to fender.
christiang26 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-29-2012, 04:03 PM   #1467
Omelet
Evil Overlord!

2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducttapegod View Post
I do not have a WK. I am considering getting one. I am looking at either an '06 4.7 limited or an '05 hemi limited. I need to sell a TJ before I can buy anything. I have the normal question, longevity of the motor because I am looking at 80-100k miles, mileage, ease of upgrades, and fancy pants changes.

I am working 18 hour days all week. I have one more left after today.
Awesome man! Even if you don't wheel it, it is a great vehicle. You will love it! I am a little over 100K miles on mine and there are plenty of guys who have a lot more than me. With proper maintenance they seem to be a strong reliable Jeep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGreen View Post
You ever decide what you were going to do for your Gobi?
Not yet. For now I am just going to leave it and after some time see how I feel about doing it. I would hate to mod it and then later on wish I hadn't. So since I like it now I will leave it along.

Quote:
Originally Posted by christiang26 View Post
Hi omelet, are you still using the limiting straps?, how long do you think they should be for a moded superlift? Because my rear is sitting on 26" hub to fender and the front in 24.8" I am going to install a rusty 0.5" spacer in front but want to stop the down travel at 28" hub to fender.
Nope the straps were removed when I installed the SL. I do intend on putting them back in, just in front of the strut instead of behind it, I just need to get around to doing so. I believe the straps I have are 12". They just need to be a little longer than the suspension travel you have, which is about 10".

HEMI Club Member #31 - - - JEEP Makes It, HEMI Shakes It!!!
Omelet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-29-2012, 05:08 PM   #1468
Omelet
Evil Overlord!

2005 WK 

So Saturday I went out to Ocotillo Wells (about 100 miles / 2 hour drive) with a TJ buddy from work, John(Jhigz a fellow member), and one of his JK buddies for the 8th Annual Lost Lizard Fun Run. It was a fairly easy 31 mile loop in the desert. Until then I hadn't ventured out that far east to go wheeling. We had a rather interesting day with some great weather!

I spent Friday afternoon prepping the Jeep for the following day. I swapped out the tires, checked most of the suspension bolts, checked the fluids, and made sure I had the tools and parts I may need.

The following morning I slept in until 0430 and was on my way shortly after.

We made it there with out any major issues and got checked in. It was an organized run, but they gave a map with the plotted route and allow you to group up as you with and head out at your own pace. Some guys were airing down and disconnecting sway bars, but seeing as though it was an easy trail I opted to run my normal psi and leave my rear sway. (I am not running a front sway in case you have somehow happened to miss that info thus far ) The tail started out really easy with the occasional hill to climb and soft sand to float through. It was fun to get up to speed and blast around at times We veered off the trail for a few minutes to play nearby and for a quick photo or two.

The dirt/sand was quite soft and made for some forgiving ground. For those just learning how to wheel and test the clearance limits it was a great place. You may get stuck, but its hard to damage your Jeep in a area like this.

And it was bound to happen to someone

Out came the winch! My buddy was so thrilled to get to test out his brand new winch, so I let him that this one

Unread 10-29-2012, 05:18 PM   #1469
christiang26
2009 WK 

Why you decide to put the straps in front?
christiang26 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-29-2012, 05:20 PM   #1470
Omelet
Evil Overlord!

2005 WK 

From there we got back on the trail and continued on our way. The trail would change between an open sand road and a tighter dirt tail constantly.

We eventually hit all the checkpoints and decided to head north to Salton City to refuel and get some cold refreshments. After that we went to the training area (Play Ground) which was close by to hit some obstetrical. They had a flex test that we hit after driving over a long log pile.

I'm not sure what flex is, but it was fun

Tags
295/70/17 , 35" tires , 4x4 , fox , jeep wk , lifted , ome , omelet , ort , superlift , wk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.