Omelet's Build Thread (aka The Bison)! - Page 96 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Omelet's Build Thread (aka The Bison)!

Labor Day Sale!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 10-21-2012, 12:10 AM   #1426
Omelet
Evil Overlord!

2005 WK 

Now the big problem came when I started looking at the mounting situation! This is why it was so cheap

After removing the stock pillar this is what it looks like with the two mounting bolts in their holes (just look past the excess wires):

Here is the new pillar pod and the stock pillar side by side. Notice the mounting bolt locations:

Now also notice the difference on the back side:

How they expected me to bolt this bad boy in was beyond me?!!!

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using JeepForum

HEMI Club Member #31 - - - JEEP Makes It, HEMI Shakes It!!!
Omelet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2012, 12:33 AM   #1427
Omelet
Evil Overlord!

2005 WK 

So after some time and thought this is what I came up with. I made some brackets out of wood that I could bolt to the A pillar and then mount the pillar pod using a couple screws.

Some measurements in case anyone wants them:

Once bolted into place:

I got a pod mount that BullyDog sells off Amazon for $10:

I also got a DiabloSport Trinity pod mount off Amazon for $20 that I plan to use for a phone mount

And finally for the finished pics! (pay no attention to the nasty steering wheel)

Next I need to touch up the screw heads with some paint and finish the phone mount when it comes in!

Unread 10-21-2012, 04:47 AM   #1428
2005WK37David
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omelet View Post
So after some time and thought this is what I came up with. I made some brackets out of wood that I could bolt to the A pillar and then mount the pillar pod using a couple screws.

I was always under the impression that the pod pillar goes over top of the stock pillar.
2005WK37David is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2012, 09:34 AM   #1429
ablaydes
2003 WJ 

This may have been answered or covered before, But im not going back through 20 pages to find it,lol What is in that top pod ?
03' Jeep WJ|4x4 select-trac|Kolaks "Magic Setup"|OME HDS|Bilsteins 5100's|3/4 spacers front|Moog STB SS|Zone 3" sway links|Homebrewed quick Disco's|17" Moabs|32" BFG's KM's|Hella 500ff's|Rear Oem receiver|Front custom tow Points|Smittybilt receiver 3/4 D-ring|Limited headlights and Grille|

My Build thread
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/ablaydes-wj-build-thread-1382113/[/url]

ROLL TIDE ROLL ! ! !

Well let me just quote the late-great Colonel Sanders, who said...I'm too drunk to taste this chicken !
ablaydes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2012, 12:34 PM   #1430
Omelet
Evil Overlord!

2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2005WK37David View Post
I was always under the impression that the pod pillar goes over top of the stock pillar.
I thought that too, but it didn't fit right. Plus I would have had to cut or drill the stock pillar to get the wires through it and into the pillar pod. I like the way it turned out and if for any reason I decide to remove it, I still have the stock piece to put back in place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ablaydes View Post
This may have been answered or covered before, But im not going back through 20 pages to find it,lol What is in that top pod ?
It will be for a phone holder that I am still working on.

Unread 10-21-2012, 12:41 PM   #1431
oducks12
2005 WK 

Looks good Omelet! That steering wheel sure is...oops wasn't supposed to notice.
[COLOR="DarkGreen"][SIZE="1"][CENTER]Silver WK Club Member #35 | 2005 WK 3.7 Laredo | Hypertech 52001 programmer | K&N Intake | Magnaflow 50 series muffler | Navigation | Rola rack | 2 Hella 500ff's behind grill | 2 KC Daylighters on roof | ARB on board air compressor | 265 70 17 Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac's | Pinch weld and rear fender trim | Spidertrax 1.5" spacers | expanded metal grill | LED stack lights | Monroe LL shocks | Bilstein HD struts | Rough Country 2" lift | Kenwood amp w/ two Alpine type R 10" subs[/CENTER][/SIZE][/COLOR]

[CENTER][SIZE="2"]See How It Was Made [URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/oducks-build-thread-1385731/"][B][COLOR="Black"]HERE[/COLOR][/B][/URL][/SIZE][/CENTER]
oducks12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2012, 05:08 PM   #1432
jeremyc653
2005 WK 

I like that spot for the blind spot mirrors.
Unread 10-21-2012, 05:48 PM   #1433
Omelet
Evil Overlord!

2005 WK 

Thanks they work pretty good and they were only $1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oducks12
Looks good Omelet! That steering wheel sure is...oops wasn't supposed to notice.
Wise guy!

Unread 10-21-2012, 09:10 PM   #1434
Omelet
Evil Overlord!

2005 WK 

The insulation was starting to come off of my air box so I redid it and used a different tape this time.

Also my Spector fuel can has been leaking the past couple times I've taken it out wheeling with me. The new seal I ordered finally came in so I installed it along with a red strap to replace the tan one.

I got up at the butt crack of dawn this morning to drive out with my brother to my favorite local shooting site to pop off a few rounds! I like to get there and be set up by the time the sun comes up. Snapped a quick pic of the Bison too!

Unread 10-21-2012, 09:16 PM   #1435
Hefe811

That mount for the phone... iPhone? Infusing a cable? I've been thinking of swapping out my REC stereo and putting in an aftermarket GPS/DVD. Are you rocking the same and having any similar thoughts? How much you liking the Bull Dog?
Hefe811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2012, 11:19 AM   #1436
skrach77
2005 WK 

Looks good man!

Quick question- what are all the wires running along the pillar? I'm guessing stuff on the roof? If so, how did you pass them through the roof from inside the headliner to the top of the roof? I've wondered if it was possible to go through the front "foot" of the factory roof rack and keep it watertight...
skrach77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2012, 04:37 PM   #1437
Omelet
Evil Overlord!

2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hefe811 View Post
That mount for the phone... iPhone? Infusing a cable? I've been thinking of swapping out my REC stereo and putting in an aftermarket GPS/DVD. Are you rocking the same and having any similar thoughts? How much you liking the Bull Dog?
Yep it will be for my iPhone. It is made so you can run a cable through it and I probably will. I am still rocking the OEM NAV and it works for now. I will most likely upgrade to an nice aftermarket one eventually (something with a nice pig touch screen and all the fancy bells and whistles), but for now I am fine with this. I have been going back and forth about mounting my tablet to use all of it's cool features on the go, so we will see. The BullyDog is a nice little device to have. I also liked the a couple other units, but I liked the price and features this one has. I haven't done it yet, but I plan to instal a pyro kit (one of the great features of the BullyDog) for the tranny temp. I will be installing that during my next tranny service!

Quote:
Originally Posted by skrach77 View Post
Looks good man!

Quick question- what are all the wires running along the pillar? I'm guessing stuff on the roof? If so, how did you pass them through the roof from inside the headliner to the top of the roof? I've wondered if it was possible to go through the front "foot" of the factory roof rack and keep it watertight...
Those wires are all for the switch panel I installed in the sealing. All of my wires going to the roof are on the outside going up the windshield molding. You could probably get away with drilling through the roof and passing some wires up into the rack mounts then adding some caulk to seal it (that's what I did on my XJ) but I didn't want to drill holes in my roof this time around.

Unread 10-22-2012, 05:08 PM   #1438
jeremyc653
2005 WK 

Mount that tablet above the radio like the guy who had that monster lift did with switches and cb can be just a temp mount so you can remove it. Or you could just sell it to me and use the money to get a new radio.

sent while driving my wk
Unread 10-22-2012, 06:00 PM   #1439
Omelet
Evil Overlord!

2005 WK 

It is a 10" tablet. If I mounted it above the NAV it would block a lot of the windshield!

Unread 10-22-2012, 06:23 PM   #1440
JordanD07
2007 WK 

Hey omelet, any advice on installing the rustys adj trac bar before I do it?
'07 3.7 4x4 QT1 ll Red WK Club #27 ll OME ll Monroe LL ll Rusty's ll ProComp ll BFG ll 4xGuard ll S4XC ll VLEDS ll Infinity ll Thrush ll Riddler ll 6K HID
JordanD07 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
295/70/17 , 35" tires , 4x4 , fox , jeep wk , lifted , ome , omelet , ort , superlift , wk

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.