Omelet's Build Thread (aka The Bison)! - Page 93 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Omelet's Build Thread (aka The Bison)!

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 09-27-2012, 06:23 PM   #1381
skrach77
2005 WK 

As always- contact a member named Kolak for the absolute best prices and service available anywhere, he will get you setup with the rotors

skrach77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-27-2012, 06:46 PM   #1382
Theogriff15
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by skrach77 View Post
As always- contact a member named Kolak for the absolute best prices and service available anywhere, he will get you setup with the rotors
will do, i was planning on contacting him anyway to thank him for the lift/suspension
Unread 09-27-2012, 08:23 PM   #1383
Omelet
Evil Overlord!

2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by oducks12
I recognize those switches! haha. I was thinking about getting the tiki face too, I just have NO clue what I would use it for. Maybe for wiring up some christmas lights for the holidays?
Yep the Tiki one is great, I can't wait to use it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theogriff15
I know this was a while ago but I just got my lift and tires put on and I have noticed a serious drop in braking performance. Will the Stillen rotors help with this? And if you don't mind me asking, how much will they set me back if I decide to grab a set in the future?
Quote:
Originally Posted by skrach77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theogriff15
will do, i was planning on contacting him anyway to thank him for the lift/suspension
You have the right idea, Kolak is your man! I don't remember what I paid, but I got them during one of his sales. Awesome prices as always

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using JeepForum

HEMI Club Member #31 - - - JEEP Makes It, HEMI Shakes It!!!
Omelet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-27-2012, 11:36 PM   #1384
Omelet
Evil Overlord!

2005 WK 

So something I have contemplating doing lately! I am thinking about modifying my Gobi rack, yes again I want to cut the top tube off the rack leaving only the bottom main unit. Then mounting my back-up lights up side down below the bottom tube, just over the roof. And removing the air dam so I can mount the LED bar in it's place. That way the bar will also be below the main tube creating a much more sleek rack. So it will be more sleek, lighter, and provide better clearance under obstacles and structures. Another idea is to remove the air dam and replace it with one made of plexiglass, so I can keep the ramp going and still allow the light bar to shoot through it. I will probably try this idea first and if it doesn't work out then just remove it and have the light bar there.

Thought?!

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using JeepForum

Unread 09-28-2012, 06:20 AM   #1385
JeepinShep
2007 WK 

Gimme your Gobi - you can hack up this Rola I'll trade you aallll you want.
2007 WK Limited, Red Rock Crystal, 3.0L CRD, QD-II. OME HD lift. 255x75x17s. Pinchweld mod. 1.5" Alloy hub-centric spacers. F/R Stillen rotors and pads. 4xG rear diff guard and belly armor. Tuned by Green Diesel.

[QUOTE=bhoch]...you never, ever, skimp on suspension and tires as they will save your *** when you do something stupid - and .. you *will* do something stupid. [/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=DeansWings]Rock crawling is a whole 'nother animal. To me, the off-camber low rpm negotiation of lines provides a different type of adrenaline than plowing through mud. It's terrifying at times, but the pride of looking back at what you just climbed over is what is addictive.[/QUOTE]
JeepinShep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-28-2012, 06:22 AM   #1386
BobG97
2005 WK 

What about moving your light bar under the airdam and cutting the bottom section of the airdam off to keep the same clearance but relocate the light lower but still keep the airdam look. I'd be afraid to try to shoot light through an angled piece of plexi, I had a buddy try that on a rally car and it reduced the light output pretty heavily.
BobG97 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-28-2012, 06:37 AM   #1387
JeepinShep
2007 WK 

And, since I know you won't go for my original "generous" offer...
I'm with Bob on this - don't use angled plexiglass. Unless you can find some super thin optical grade stuff, it'll wreak havoc with your output. And it will probably yellow over time which really kills light transmission.

Insetting the light bar in the air dam would probably be better.
2007 WK Limited, Red Rock Crystal, 3.0L CRD, QD-II. OME HD lift. 255x75x17s. Pinchweld mod. 1.5" Alloy hub-centric spacers. F/R Stillen rotors and pads. 4xG rear diff guard and belly armor. Tuned by Green Diesel.

[QUOTE=bhoch]...you never, ever, skimp on suspension and tires as they will save your *** when you do something stupid - and .. you *will* do something stupid. [/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=DeansWings]Rock crawling is a whole 'nother animal. To me, the off-camber low rpm negotiation of lines provides a different type of adrenaline than plowing through mud. It's terrifying at times, but the pride of looking back at what you just climbed over is what is addictive.[/QUOTE]
JeepinShep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-28-2012, 08:41 AM   #1388
skrach77
2005 WK 

I agree- don't hack up a gobi. Why not use it as a template and fab what you want, then send me the gobi as payment for this idea- ill pay shipping! ;-)

Seriously though, gobi's are like art, and especially with your obvious fab skills- just custom build what you are thinking, and that way you still have to gobi to go back to if you end up not liking the new one. Then u can always sell the gobi and recoup your costs
skrach77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-28-2012, 02:50 PM   #1389
Jackal01

2011 JK Wrangler 

I agree with not putting plexiglass in front of the light, it will alter the pattern it throws thus decreasing the intensity in the areas it was designed to be in. Or since you do not really need the aerodynamics offroading, just make the plexiglass easily removable.

Jackal01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-28-2012, 03:22 PM   #1390
jeremyc653
2005 WK 

I cant argue with the omelet. But I can tell you what Ill give you a set of stock wheels 235 55 r17 all 5 rims and tires so your jeep will look bigger. and also $100 plus pay shipping for your gobi. you can even keep the lights lol. Really though I can see you doing some crazy fab work to get the light lower and sleeker look. You know if I win the lotto Im going to catch you.
jeremyc653 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-28-2012, 06:15 PM   #1391
NGreen
2008 WK 

I'd have someone try and photoshop it first, but that's just me. Take a few different angles with a few different pictures and decide after the photoshop.
NGreen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-28-2012, 06:19 PM   #1392
cherrybomb05
2010 JK Wrangler 

Personally, I love the way the gobi looks up top. The rigid bar looks sweet up above there I say keep it
cherrybomb05 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-28-2012, 06:41 PM   #1393
Luck06
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepinShep
And, since I know you won't go for my original "generous" offer...
I'm with Bob on this - don't use angled plexiglass. Unless you can find some super thin optical grade stuff, it'll wreak havoc with your output. And it will probably yellow over time which really kills light transmission.

Insetting the light bar in the air dam would probably be better.

What kind of plastic are headlight lenses made out of? Obviously those are pretty durable and don't yellow or mess with the light output. You'd think it would be fairly cheap and easily accessible as well. Just a thought.

Sent from my iPad using JeepForum
- 2" RC lift, 1.5" RC Spacers, 58643 MLL's, !Pinch Weld, Spyder Bull Bar, 130w KC Daylighters, Spyder LED Tails, Taillight Guards, Silverstar ZXE's, Interior LEDs, Kenwood 6" DVD/NAV, 12" Audiobahn Sub
Luck06 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-28-2012, 07:15 PM   #1394
BobG97
2005 WK 

There are a lot of variables to consider when talking a lot building a plexi glass airdam, thickness, clarity, and durability all come into play, but depending on the angle that the light hits it and the reflective nature of the material, you might deflect more light. I know there are lot of cars with angled lenses but I'm sure they compensate somehow.
BobG97 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-29-2012, 11:09 AM   #1395
Omelet
Evil Overlord!

2005 WK 

Thanks for all your thoughts guys! They are all the thought I have been having as I have pondered this. I am not sure how well the light from the bar will shoot through the plexiglass which is why I would test it out first and then if it works use it and if not then run without the ramp. I have also considered cutting a slot into it where the light bar will be, but there would be such a large hole in the ramp afterwards that there wouldn't be any point in keeping it anymore. And I definitely hear what you are all saying about chopping up a perfectly good Gobi! The big difference is I am not buying a new Gobi for $1400 just to chop it up and mod it how I want. I bought the thing used for $600 and enjoyed it as is for a while, now I am wanting it to be exactly what I need, something a little more sleek. The main purpose it serves me is holding my lights. After that I occasionally use it to transport stuff on. For day to day life it would be more convenient for it to be slimmer and for the occasional cargo load it would work better if it didn't have he cross bars, those things really limit the usable space. I plan to fill in the gaps with more expanded sheet like whats already there and in my grill, that way it will be one solid platform. I will leave the hook loops that are welded on and might even add a few more. I also hear what you guys are saying about making my own and then selling this one, but honestly that is too much work right now. What I could do is keep the top bar that I cut off and later on use it to make a second rack that I can sell!

Tags
295/70/17 , 35" tires , 4x4 , fox , jeep wk , lifted , ome , omelet , ort , superlift , wk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.