Omelet's Build Thread (aka The Bison)! - Page 90 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Omelet's Build Thread (aka The Bison)!

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 08-30-2012, 07:33 PM   #1336
Omelet
Evil Overlord!

2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepinShep
And why did you have to sit in your Jeep for six hours?
Nice cap of Natalie, btw.
We had a lock on a door at work fail and the guy fixing it wasn't going to work through the night, so myself and another volunteered to stand watch on it and got the following day off. And yes it was a good pic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medic80

After reading your build thread I also use the VES as a AUX input.

You have lots of great mod ideas and it seems like you are pretty meticulous when it comes to fit and finish. Have you ever looked into a mod that would eliminate wires running along the console and having the VES cover flipped open all the time? Have you ever removed the VES unit? Does it have RCA ports in the back?
I am pretty sure the VES connects to the rear of the stereo by RCA, so if you don't use the VES then you can pull it out and run your cables straight to the stereo. I still use mine occasionally on long drives with the kids so that option is out for me. I know there are cables that you can get that will split the RCA coming out of the stereo so you can run both the VES and iPod/MP3 player, but that would require me buying it I know I will eventually, but for now this works and the cable was free, so why change it. I don't think it is that much of an eye sore. Eventually I plan to get an aftermarket stereo and eliminate the VES, and maybe do screens in the headrests!

HEMI Club Member #31 - - - JEEP Makes It, HEMI Shakes It!!!
Omelet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2012, 01:07 PM   #1337
Omelet
Evil Overlord!

2005 WK 

Time for my mirror mod part 2!

More details once I am finished...

Unread 09-01-2012, 10:02 PM   #1338
Houston910

I can only imagine what your doing to the mirrors, im sure it will be awesome as always though!
Houston910 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2012, 11:57 AM   #1339
Omelet
Evil Overlord!

2005 WK 

Ok I am only half way through my mirror mod, but here is the progress thus far! I listed this as part 2 because if you don't remember a couple years back I bought a set of chrome covers and painted them khaki to match the Jeep. Well those only lasted a couple weeks before I lost one. I gave up on the covers and decided to paint the actual mirror (what I was too afraid to do the first time around).

I decided I would take the mirrors off the Jeep to painted them rather than mask around them and paint. Also I really wanted to try to get these things apart so I didn't have to mask off the part I wanted to paint. I thought it would look cleaner that way. SO, I had to get the mirrors off! I opened the door and saw this:

So I looked up how to disassemble the door:

Now that I had access to the mirror bolts I removes them. You want to remove the 3 Green nuts and not the 1 Red nut.

Once the nuts are off simply pull the mirror off and mind the wire harness. Then the door will look like this:

And you will have the mirror in hand and free from the Jeep:

. . .

Unread 09-02-2012, 12:10 PM   #1340
scootr29
Web Wheeler

2008 WK 

I do not see any Dynamat or Kicker speakers.....
Silver WK Club Member #1
2008 CRD QT2
scootr29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2012, 12:14 PM   #1341
Omelet
Evil Overlord!

2005 WK 

Now for the fun part! Getting the mirror to come apart! I started with the passenger side.

Start by removing the glass. It just pops off with a little bit of force. Tilt it in towards the hinge and pull the outside edge out.

Then remove the wires for the defrost and set the glass to the side:

Now you have 3 clips that you have to work out. Once those are done there are 2 more that you will see once you rotate the hinge/mount out of the way:

Now that the next peace is the back cover. There are 2 more clips to work out, 1 of them is a little hidden. Rotate the hinge again and you will see it:

Pull the back cover out and rotate it off the main piece. Here you can see the 2 clips a little better along with the 2 that I didn't show in a previous pic:

And there you have it! One mirror disassembled!!!

The driver side it the same only there are 2 wire, one for the defrost and one for the auto dim:

Now we have the covers off and ready to go!

Oh ya, there are little rubber peaces that you will want to remove:

Next up the modding will begin. . . .

Unread 09-02-2012, 03:24 PM   #1342
Omelet
Evil Overlord!

2005 WK 

Ok time for some paint! Fist thing to do is get rid of the textured finish on the plastic. It took some time, but after much sanding I got them decently smooth. Here you can see the sanded one on the right:

Once they were both sanded smooth I blow them off and then wiped them down with alcohol.. After they were dry I gave them two coats of adhesion promoter and then 4 coats of primer:

Then 4 coats of basecoat (Light Khaki Pearl - PJC)

And 5 coats of clear. I wanted to do another one but I ran out:

After a short time they were dry and ready for reassembly!

Unread 09-02-2012, 04:11 PM   #1343
Omelet
Evil Overlord!

2005 WK 

Now I was having some difficulty getting them back together and figured out what was causing it. I ended up taking my dremel and cutting off the peace that was getting in the way. It came apart ok, but going back together it just wasn't happening.

Once that was cut they went together beautifully. It was dark by the time I finished so this was all I had:

They are now installed so I will get a few up in a little bit. I love the way they turned out! So much better than the covers I had before. These look factory with smooth seems and finished edges. The covers well, looked like covers You could tell they were added and just didn't quite look right.

Unread 09-02-2012, 04:24 PM   #1344
Omelet
Evil Overlord!

2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by scootr29 View Post
I do not see any Dynamat or Kicker speakers.....
Haha! Ya that wont be for a little bit still. I haven't even ordered anything yet. I am still doing some research so I know exactly what I want to buy

Unread 09-02-2012, 06:50 PM   #1345
w1pf
Who, me?

2007 WK 

Nice, nice, nice.

Thanks for the detailed pix, gonna save a lot of people a lot of pain in the future.

...tom
Red WK #19, Hemi #68.. I think..
Durango Owners Club DOTY 2011
-------
"Must have been that yesterday was the day that I was born"
w1pf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2012, 08:48 PM   #1346
Luck06
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omelet

I got it from a guy on JG who made it himself. I am not sure he is making them anymore though. I gave a couple guys his email reccently and they had no luck.
Wasn't Jon Ross was it?

Sent from my iPad using JeepForum
- 2" RC lift, 1.5" RC Spacers, 58643 MLL's, !Pinch Weld, Spyder Bull Bar, 130w KC Daylighters, Spyder LED Tails, Taillight Guards, Silverstar ZXE's, Interior LEDs, Kenwood 6" DVD/NAV, 12" Audiobahn Sub
Luck06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2012, 08:58 PM   #1347
Omelet
Evil Overlord!

2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by w1pf
Nice, nice, nice.

Thanks for the detailed pix, gonna save a lot of people a lot of pain in the future.

...tom
Thanks bud! That was the plan, to help others wanting to do the same thing. It really is the way to go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luck06

Wasn't Jon Ross was it?
No it was Nathan something. Yes there are a lot of us Nathan's out there I think his username is something like WKThursty, but I can't be positive.

Unread 09-02-2012, 09:05 PM   #1348
Omelet
Evil Overlord!

2005 WK 

Ok here are the good day shots as promised:

Oh wait! What is that up on the roof?!

Oh that! I got a 4'x8' peace of .25" aluminum plate today for . . . . Well you will see

Unread 09-02-2012, 09:17 PM   #1349
S1L3NT_WH33L3R
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omelet
Ok here are the good day shots as promised:

Oh wait! What is that up on the roof?!

Oh that! I got a 4'x8' peace of .25" aluminum plate today for . . . . Well you will see
Tease
'05 WK Limited, QD-II, 5.7L HEMI, Volant Cold Air Intake, Aries Taillight Guards, Rola Roof Rack, Cobra CB, Firestik Antennas, Magnaflow Performance Exhaust, OME HD lift, 285/70-17 GY Duratracs, Spidertrax Spacers, Superchips Programmer, Steel Armadillo Super Sliders
~Jeep makes it HEMI shakes it~Ain't Nothing Humble about that HEMI Rumble~
S1L3NT_WH33L3R is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2012, 09:25 PM   #1350
JeepN4KC
Keep on Jeepin on........

Okay - now this I gotta see.........I'm sitting here racking my brain trying to think of what you have planned for the sheet of aluminum and I'm comin up with snake eyes...........o_O.......... I've got my eyes on you Omelet...........;-).......lol

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
Sept 2013 Cherokee of the Month
'07 WK with some other stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
'11 KK with mostly stock stuff
'06WK our first Jeep with stock stuff - totalled and gone
JeepN4KC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
295/70/17 , 35" tires , 4x4 , fox , jeep wk , lifted , ome , omelet , ort , superlift , wk

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.