Omelet's Build Thread (aka The Bison)! - Page 8 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Omelet's Build Thread (aka The Bison)!

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 01-08-2012, 04:47 PM   #106
Omelet
Evil Overlord!

2005 WK 

So I always loved the the Gobi Stealth rack, but there was no way I was going to be able to afford or justify a $1300 rack. At least not until I had finished just about everything else I wanted to do. So I wanted it, but knew I would probably never get it. That is until I heard the terrible news that ZigsRig had sold his WK for an H1 Alpha and had a few goodies he pulled off to sell. I ended up scoring his entire rack, light, and wiring setup for $700!!! Once I received it, it was on the same day. This thing is Awesome! The craftsmanship and fit is top notch and it looks perfect on top of the WK.

The 4 forward facing lights are Hella FF75s in the spot pattern and the rear 2 are flood pattern. Not what I would have picked, but I wasn't about to drop $1K on a light when these will do for now. He also gave me his Blue Sea Fuse Black (5025). It is a very good quality unit that I would recommend to any body looking for an auxiliary box.

HEMI Club Member #31 - - - JEEP Makes It, HEMI Shakes It!!!
Omelet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2012, 05:09 PM   #107
Omelet
Evil Overlord!

2005 WK 

Now for my LONG awaited project! I constructed a winch cradle to fit behind the stock bumper similar the what AEV did with the Mojave.

I am not going to waist time reposting everything that is in the build thread HERE, but basically I took this:

Cut out this:

Made this:

To do this:

Unread 01-08-2012, 05:38 PM   #108
Omelet
Evil Overlord!

2005 WK 

I hooked up with Hoaxci5 and ExtremeCreature and headed out to Gorman OHV Area and the Miller Jeep Trail. You can find the trail report HERE.

Unread 01-08-2012, 05:53 PM   #109
hoaxci5
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Bam I'm important I got mentioned not once but twice in the most epic build thread!
Unread 01-08-2012, 05:54 PM   #110
Omelet
Evil Overlord!

2005 WK 

Haha! Just wait, those wont be the only times!

Unread 01-08-2012, 07:39 PM   #111
Omelet
Evil Overlord!

2005 WK 

I procrastinated long enough and it was now time to paint my wheels. Unfortunately I think I deleted the pics of the project in progress, but I have the finished pics.

I didn't want to just paint the whole wheel. I was going for something a little different than what most have done. First I masked off the five pockets, sanded down the face of the wheel, then I sprayed 2 coats of adhesion promoter, 3 coats of primer, 5 coats of base, then I unmasked it, and gave the entire wheel 6 coats of clear. They turned out really good. I have scraped up the bead a little since then, but for the most part they still look great!

Unread 01-08-2012, 07:45 PM   #112
Omelet
Evil Overlord!

2005 WK 

While I was in a painting mood, I knocked out the rear guard too. Then I did a quick photo shoot while at work! I am really enjoying this graphite and khaki mix

Unread 01-08-2012, 08:19 PM   #113
Omelet
Evil Overlord!

2005 WK 

I found a super mint sticker and had to have it. I put one on each side.

Unread 01-08-2012, 10:14 PM   #114
JeepMDHemi
2005 WK 

Great deal on the rack. It's growing on me. I like how it sits so low. I'm contemplating it.
Unread 01-08-2012, 10:20 PM   #115
JeepMDHemi
2005 WK 

The overall impression of your WK is just top notch!
Unread 01-08-2012, 10:22 PM   #116
Omelet
Evil Overlord!

2005 WK 

Thanks Bud! The Gobi was really the only rack I would consider. If I wouldn't have gotten suck a great deal I would have just made my own.

Unread 01-09-2012, 08:41 PM   #117
Omelet
Evil Overlord!

2005 WK 

I gave the ole girl a thorough clay bar and wax treatment. It looked Really good! I even had a hard time seeing all the pin striping

Before:

After:

Unread 01-09-2012, 09:38 PM   #118
Omelet
Evil Overlord!

2005 WK 

In my search to try and get the headlights to look more like round Jeep headlights, I noticed that the forward facing turn signal was screwing it up. When the headlights are on, the lower half of the light is amber. So the lights don't quite look round. I really didn't like that. I didn't want to put chrome or clear bulbs in because I still wanted to turns to light up amber when I was turning. So my only option was LED flashbacks/switchbacks. I picked up some cheap off eBay and through them in. After I noticed they weren't working properly I wired in some resistors.

The LEDs:

Off:

On:

Blinker:

And a video of them in action:

http://youtu.be/1jR-VfcOVzw

Unread 01-09-2012, 10:02 PM   #119
Omelet
Evil Overlord!

2005 WK 

Getting my next project ready!

Unread 01-09-2012, 10:24 PM   #120
08Hemiwk

wheels look boss
08 WK Hemi: 4" Superlift, 305/55/20 Terra Grapplers, 20x9 KMC Misfits, Superchip, AirRaid Intake, Custom Exhaust, Custom Toolbox Mount, 4xG Rear Diff Guard, JKS Quick Disconnect, Rola Rack, KC Daylighters
08Hemiwk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
295/70/17 , 35" tires , 4x4 , fox , jeep wk , lifted , ome , omelet , ort , superlift , wk

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.