Omelet's Build Thread (aka The Bison)! - Page 78 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Omelet's Build Thread (aka The Bison)!

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineGrizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 06-15-2012, 10:38 PM   #1156
Omelet
Evil Overlord!

2005 WK 

Thanks guys I will have to look into it a little more. I will be taking it in to have the front windows tinted soon, so I will ask them and see what they know.

HEMI Club Member #31 - - - JEEP Makes It, HEMI Shakes It!!!
Omelet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-15-2012, 10:40 PM   #1157
deweezy
2005 WK 

Yeah I think you can get rolls of single color vinyl decently priced, the install is where it gets expensive, I've never experienced the clear wrap but I used to work a MasterCraft Dealership and our boat wraps were made by 3M and 3M would send out someone that was certified to apply their product. So you KNOW that can't be cheap!! hahaha
deweezy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-15-2012, 10:48 PM   #1158
Omelet
Evil Overlord!

2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by deweezy View Post
Yeah I think you can get rolls of single color vinyl decently priced, the install is where it gets expensive, I've never experienced the clear wrap but I used to work a MasterCraft Dealership and our boat wraps were made by 3M and 3M would send out someone that was certified to apply their product. So you KNOW that can't be cheap!! hahaha
Ya I bet they charged a ton!

On another note, here are some shots of the Gobi before the mods begin.

And after removing the 4 Hellas and some of the wiring.

Those two vertical supports are the big issue right now. With them in place the light bar sits too far forward. I am planning on cutting them out and going from there.

I was on a roll with ideas, so I decided to see what I though of a bar in the rear!

I think I am on to something here!!! Maybe I can get some UV filters for them to fry zombies

Unread 06-15-2012, 11:18 PM   #1159
08Hemiwk

You can do a full wrap yourself for under 400 bucks for ok vinyl. Keep in mind why buy good stuff if youre intending to destroy it
08 WK Hemi: 4" Superlift, 305/55/20 Terra Grapplers, 20x9 KMC Misfits, Superchip, AirRaid Intake, Custom Exhaust, Custom Toolbox Mount, 4xG Rear Diff Guard, JKS Quick Disconnect, Rola Rack, KC Daylighters
08Hemiwk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-16-2012, 01:49 PM   #1160
Anthony92x
2007 WK 

If it was me I would just bedline the ***** lol someone in either here or jeep garage has done it. Looked good
Unread 06-16-2012, 06:39 PM   #1161
cby7715
2005 WK 

How did you get all your camera wires into the cab of your truck? Through the firewall I assume...which grommet did you use?

07 JK Sahara: 2" RC Spacer Lift...33x12.50 BFG A/T KO's...Black Mesh Grill
cby7715 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-16-2012, 08:32 PM   #1162
Omelet
Evil Overlord!

2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony92x
If it was me I would just bedline the ***** lol someone in either here or jeep garage has done it. Looked good
I saw that, I would consider that on my XJ but not the WK. I still enjoy giving it a good cleaning and having it look like a really awesome luxury vehicle. Bedliner just doesn't give that same affect. It is more of a rugged I don't give a crap look, and it can be a pain to clean. As long as the scratches aren't all the way through the clear and into the paint, then I really don't care how much pin striping it has. Once you give it a good waxing most of the scratches disappear anyways!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cby7715
How did you get all your camera wires into the cab of your truck? Through the firewall I assume...which grommet did you use?
Up front I used the one on the drive side by the break booster. It dumps out right behind the dash which is assessable from under the steering wheel. Out back I ran them behind the bumper to the drive side taillight. If you remove the lamp you will find a hole with a soft patch over it. Run the wires through there and the they will enter the vehicle behind the plastic molding where the stereo amp is.

Unread 06-17-2012, 06:46 AM   #1163
Anthony92x
2007 WK 

Well if bed lining the top fails you'll just have to lift the wk higher so you'll never see it again haha

07 WK 3.7 Bilstein hds, bored TB, K&N filter, RC 1.25in spacers, Kicker audio, Trail lights, 4prong plugs. Cree 7w reverse lights mostly blacked out.
Unread 06-18-2012, 12:01 AM   #1164
Omelet
Evil Overlord!

2005 WK 

Almost finished!

Yesterday I cut the two bars out that were in the way, ground down the excess, and slapped some primer on.

Then last night I brought it inside to figure placement and mockup the tabs.

Today I took it back outside and using some grinding discs, scrap wood, and duct tape to center the light bar right where I wanted it to tack the tabs in place.

Once the tabs were tacked I remover the light from harm to fully weld them then grind the welds clean.

Then I drilled a hole in each tab. And after slapping on some primer and semi gloss black it was good to go. I was a little annoyed, because the powder coat on the rack was in between the matte black and semi gloss that I had on hand. Oh well!

I gave it a little time to dry and then BOOM!

After giving the roof a thorough waxing the rack went back on. Unfortunately I ran out of time so I have to finish up the wiring tomorrow. Until then here are a couple crappy pics of it on the Jeep!

I can't wait to light this baby up tomorrow!!!

Unread 06-18-2012, 12:17 AM   #1165
Valpacer

2007 WK 

Cmon Man, its taken me 2 weeks to just get the roof rack to paint stage, and you've gone and modded yours in 2 days!!! And its already back on the Jeep.

JK, keep up the good work, That looks really tough up there.
2007 WH Grand Cherokee CRD (Yup, RHD Australia)- 3" Exhaust, GDE Flash Tune, CRDSTU/SL Hybrid Lift & bash Plates, 4xGuard Rock Rails, Saguaro F & R Bars, RCV's, Warn 9.5cti-s, AEV Saverge Rims, Nitto Mud Grapplers, Snorkel, Custom Rear Drawers, On Board Air, BullyDog Monitor, Dual Batteries - Build Thread - YouTube Vids
Valpacer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-18-2012, 09:39 AM   #1166
Omelet
Evil Overlord!

2005 WK 

Thanks bud! I have been following your rack build and you are doing a lot more work than me.

Unread 06-18-2012, 11:51 AM   #1167
Muddy4DSM

Hey Omelet – I picked up a set of wheels and tires off a Sahara yesterday and have run into the same problem you had when it comes to fitting the spare under the vehicle. I am going to modify my hitch similar to how you changed yours, but was wondering if there was anything that you would have done differently if you did it again?

Also, what did you use to modify the holes in order to accept the carriage bolt? Any tricks there?
Unread 06-18-2012, 02:57 PM   #1168
Omelet
Evil Overlord!

2005 WK 

Well you only need to replace the center two with carriage bolts. That's one thing I figured out. So you can do just those two or all of them. Once you pop the nuts off the hitch the bolts will go right in.

Unread 06-18-2012, 07:30 PM   #1169
Omelet
Evil Overlord!

2005 WK 

Alright she's all wired up and ready to go!

Not sure when I will get out for some night shots. I am going to try and get at least some basic ones tonight, but we will see. I will get some off road shots this weekend instead of all these street/poser shots!

Unread 06-18-2012, 07:52 PM   #1170
Budasac
2005 WK 

Nice job. Very clean install. With all that light I'm thinking instead of "ORT" maybe you should have gone with "ZRV" (Zombie Response Vehicle). Reminds me of that movie I Am Legend.
Budasac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
295/70/17 , 35" tires , 4x4 , fox , jeep wk , lifted , ome , omelet , ort , superlift , wk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.