Omelet's Build Thread (aka The Bison)! - Page 73 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Omelet's Build Thread (aka The Bison)!

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 06-01-2012, 08:27 PM   #1081
DRCracker
"The Grizz"

2006 WK 

Being kinda old and not much with computers, I have been using right click "Open with", "Microsoft Office Picture Manager", "Edit picture", "Resize" gives you some "Predefined width x height" stock options to resize photo's. Maybe one of those would do the trick, should only take a few minutes.

I found by highlighting a group of pictures, it changes all of them at once, then save them and they are the new size.

I'm probably telling you stuff you already know.

P.S.- love the hidden winch build thread too.

TC

Dark Khaki 2011 #9104 Wheels, Firestone Destination A/T 265/70/17's.
OME HD lift. Dark Khaki Matrix Brush Guard, Dark Khaki Painted Headlight Bezels.
Hemi Club #65 // Khaki WK Club #40
DRCracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2012, 08:35 PM   #1082
Omelet
Evil Overlord!

2005 WK 

Haha thanks bud! I actually do that very thing It really isn't difficult and I'm not actually lazy, I have just been busy! Give me a few minutes and you will see what I have been up to . . .

HEMI Club Member #31 - - - JEEP Makes It, HEMI Shakes It!!!
Omelet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2012, 08:47 PM   #1083
DRCracker
"The Grizz"

2006 WK 

Go enjoy that kid!
This stuff isn't as important.

TC
Dark Khaki 2011 #9104 Wheels, Firestone Destination A/T 265/70/17's.
OME HD lift. Dark Khaki Matrix Brush Guard, Dark Khaki Painted Headlight Bezels.
Hemi Club #65 // Khaki WK Club #40
DRCracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2012, 09:25 PM   #1084
Omelet
Evil Overlord!

2005 WK 

I have had this planned for some time now, only just now decided to fund it! Have you ever been wheeling going up a steep obstetrical or hill, and wished you could see something besides your hood and the sky? Funny me too!!!

I didn't want to buy a bunch of high dollar stuff for this, so I got on Amazon, did some searching, read a bunch of reviews, and finally made my purchase. I got a 7" display, 2 cameras, a plain hitch plug, and a hitch lock. It all came in a couple weeks ago, but I haven't been around to mess with any of it until now.

The cameras are pretty basic and cheap, but the reviews were great so I got one for the rear and one for the front. They include different collars so you can flush mount them or angle them.

The hitch plug is a basic $3 piece, no frills. That way if I crack it, or smash it wheeling I wont feel too bad. I measured the camera and drilled a hole for it.

I decided to flush mount the rear camera for now and see how I like it.

I wired it all up to a spare battery so I could make sure the camera was aligned properly.

Now the easiest solution for a screen would have been to use my NAV. Unfortunately I have the original 05 unit that doesn't have a video input let alone two of them. I thought about upgrading to a new aftermarket one, but didn't feel like dropping a grand on what I wanted at this time. So what I decided to do was demolish the factory visor (I did buy a second one off eBay for $20 just in case I got carried away)

I popped the mirror off.

Used the bezel surrounding the display as a stencil and jut the fabric away.

Then after a lot of work with a knife I got the thing hollowed out. There is actually quite a bit of frame work in there. I had to mod the pivot mechanism too. But I finally cleared out enough room for the display to rest.

Because of the room I needed to clear, the pivot mechanism had to be hacked along with a lot of the support structure holding it in place. So it would still function properly I used epoxy to secure it down.

There was still a small void over the mechanism where it could still flex, so I cut a piece off the shroud that I wasn't going to use and epoxied it in place.

Because the back of the display isn't smooth and instead contoured to the back of the shroud, I cut it off and secured it in place with. . . you guessed it! Epoxy

With the display ready to go in I ran the wire harness out the side, gave it a good coat of epoxy, and wedged it into the visor for good. Then I cut the frame off of the shroud and secured it around the display for a finished look.

Unread 06-01-2012, 09:33 PM   #1085
Omelet
Evil Overlord!

2005 WK 

From there I ran the other half of the wire harness up the pillar and through the hole in the ceiling.

Connected the wire and there you have it!!!

Next I installed the rear camera and secured it with the hitch lock.

After running all the wires in a tidy fashion it was alive!!! (note the Jeep is on unlevel ground)

I haven't finished the front just yet, but will get to it soon. I need to run out and get a night shot too

Unread 06-01-2012, 09:56 PM   #1086
Jhigz
2006 WK 

lmao Nathan that's awesome, I turn my rear camera view on while wheeling sometimes just for fun and thought how useful a front cam could be too. Can't wait to see how that turns out for ya!
Jhigz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2012, 10:02 PM   #1087
snobrdrkid07

2004 WJ 

Dude! Very cool! I did not even think of getting another monitor like that. I have wanted to get my Double Din radio in the dash to use as a monitor for a back up cam. Too bad that Kenwood Radio is to the tune of around $1,500. I like this idea too, I feel like I keep copying your ideas! I did the LED Rock lights and did the Trunk LED lights already!.
~ 04 WJ 4.0 | Selec-Trac 242 | MBP | OME HD 3" Lift | JKS TB | IRO Front LCA's and UCA's| Bilstein 5100's | Custom Front D.S. | Stillen Rotors/Metal Matrix Pads | Tow Package w/ 3.73's | Projectors w/ 55w HID H1 5000K Lows | Sylvania Ultra 9005 Fogs | Moog HD Steering | Kenwood eXcelon Radio | Memphis Speakers | Alpine Amps | Alpine Subs | Moog STB SS | Superchips Flashpaq | Auxiliary Transmission Cooler | Rock Lights | Light Bars ~

~ Snobrdrkid's "Build" Thread ~ YouTube Channel ~ Fuelly ~WJ 4.0 Transmission Cooler Info ~

~ 05 Rubicon Unlimited 4.0 | 6-Speed | Dana 44's | Air Lockers | 4.11 Gears | Rock-Trac 241OR T-Case with 4:1 4-Low | 2" Spacer Lift | 245/75/16 Kevlar MT/R's on Moabs | Hansen Offroad Steel F/R Bumpers | Warn 9000xi Winch | Edge Performance Chip | Custom CAI | Hella Off-road Lights | Cobra 29 CB | Flash Lights | Recovery Gear | Fire Extinguisher ~

-Michael-

For Sale:
Front XJ/TJ 2" Budget Boost. PM for details.
snobrdrkid07 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2012, 10:46 PM   #1088
Omelet
Evil Overlord!

2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhigz
lmao Nathan that's awesome, I turn my rear camera view on while wheeling sometimes just for fun and thought how useful a front cam could be too. Can't wait to see how that turns out for ya!
Thanks bud! I wanted to have it all finished for tomorrows outing, but didn't quite get there. Once it is finished I am thinking of getting some type of digital recorder for it so I can use the cameras to record trail runs

Quote:
Originally Posted by snobrdrkid07
Dude! Very cool! I did not even think of getting another monitor like that. I have wanted to get my Double Din radio in the dash to use as a monitor for a back up cam. Too bad that Kenwood Radio is to the tune of around $1,500. I like this idea too, I feel like I keep copying your ideas! I did the LED Rock lights and did the Trunk LED lights already!.
Dude copy away! Any good idea is one worth sharing so others can improve their rides

Unread 06-02-2012, 06:06 AM   #1089
JeepN4KC
Keep on Jeepin on........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omelet View Post
Have you ever been wheeling going up a steep obstetrical or hill, and wished you could see something besides your hood and the sky? Funny me too!!!
Yeah - the forward visibilty around our big nosed WKs is where spotters come in handy for me - even on descents sometimes. With your camera addition you'll be able to spot yourself while you drive!

I dn't know how you come up with this stuff but it's awesome

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
Sept 2013 Cherokee of the Month
'07 WK with some other stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
'11 KK with mostly stock stuff
'06WK our first Jeep with stock stuff - totalled and gone
JeepN4KC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2012, 06:13 PM   #1090
Omelet
Evil Overlord!

2005 WK 

Ok here are some pics! I didn't take as many action shots as I normally do since Greg was using his GoPro, but here we go...

Once we got to the top we goofed around a bit

Unread 06-03-2012, 06:16 PM   #1091
Omelet
Evil Overlord!

2005 WK 

And I do mean Goofed!!!

Unread 06-03-2012, 06:20 PM   #1092
Omelet
Evil Overlord!

2005 WK 

We decided to save some of the trail for next time, so instead of heading down the back side to the rock garden we just went back down to the beginning. That way we have a little hidden treasure for our next gathering (aka something to entice them to come back down for )

Unread 06-03-2012, 06:22 PM   #1093
Omelet
Evil Overlord!

2005 WK 

A couple parts got a little tipsy on the way down!

Unread 06-03-2012, 06:31 PM   #1094
Omelet
Evil Overlord!

2005 WK 

In the end no one encured any damage, just some good use of skids plate! A couple of us cough... GREG ...cough left their mark on the trail lol!!! Can't wait until the next time

Unread 06-03-2012, 06:41 PM   #1095
sixfoot9psu
2005 WK 

no front damage from this? that had to be close coming down
'05 GC 5.7L Hemi QDII...Rock Krawler lift, 4XGuard Matrix, rock sliders, front and rear skids, belly guard, rear diff guard, Bilstein HDs, Volant intake, 265/70 Goodyear DuraTracs, Superchips, Rola roof rack, BORA wheel spacers, Rocky Road Leveling Spacers, Magnaflow muffler, KC Slimlights, BT catch can, tb cover, and underhood kit, Expanded Sheet Metal Grille
[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/sixfoot9psus-build-thread-1341203/"]Build Thread[/URL]

'09 G8 GT 6.0L...Kooks Headers, Rotofab intake, SLP exhaust, Vector Motorsports Tune
sixfoot9psu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
295/70/17 , 35" tires , 4x4 , fox , jeep wk , lifted , ome , omelet , ort , superlift , wk

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.